Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

The Pegasus

^ ooooh I love this idea, although my reasons are clearly very biased. (Let's just say that I like angsty stuff that involves Jean-Luc and Riker.)

Angst is good. Loves me some angst.... :laugh:

It's one of the reasons I absolutely LOVE Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica. :cylonclap:

I think that post-Roddenberry ST (ST after 1991) was able to loosen the reigns on Roddenberry's 'perfect' characters a bit, and show just a bit more humanity. Some of my favorite episodes of ST were the ones that reveal the characters' flaws ("First Duty" "Chain Of Command", "Pegasus", "Dr. Bashir, I Presume..." "In The Pale Moonlight", etc). The episodes that showed that these people weren't ivory statues; they were as flawed and frakked up as the rest of us poor saps.

:P

Edited by Sehlat Vie

^ ooooh I love this idea, although my reasons are clearly very biased. (Let's just say that I like angsty stuff that involves Jean-Luc and Riker.)

It's one of the reasons I absolutely LOVE Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica. :cylonclap:

I think that post-Roddenberry ST (ST after 1991) was able to loosen the reigns on Roddenberry's 'perfect' characters a bit, and show just a bit more humanity. Some of my favorite episodes of ST were the ones that reveal the characters' flaws ("First Duty" "Chain Of Command", "Pegasus", "Dr. Bashir, I Presume..." "In The Pale Moonlight", etc). The episodes that showed that these people weren't ivory statues; they were as flawed and frakked up as the rest of us poor saps.

I'm not sure you'd enjoy the kind of angsty Picard/Riker stories I like, though. :P "The Pegasus" is the perfect angst episode as it is already, and any idea that expands the Picard/Riker angst is definitely fine with me.

I'm not sure you'd enjoy the kind of angsty Picard/Riker stories I like, though. :P "The Pegasus" is the perfect angst episode as it is already, and any idea that expands the Picard/Riker angst is definitely fine with me.

If you mean slashfic, then yeah that's generally not my thing (I'm boring; what can I say? :laugh: ). But (and this is important) I ALWAYS try to keep an open mind.... ;)

I believe whatever makes one happy (and is between two or more consenting adults) is totally cool with me. I have many friends of mine who are gay (my best man, for one) and I am of the opinion that freedom to love is not (nor should it be) limited to one rigid set of parameters. IDIC all the way.... :thumbsup2:

Edited by Sehlat Vie

You're my new best friend now, I love people who keep an open mind and don't reject things out of hand - and don't worry, once you've spent a bit of time around me, you won't be able to get rid of the slash goggles anymore anyway. :P Take this episode, for example, there's probably no better Picard/Riker episode out there. One of the finest, especially since it adds all the Pressman angst and jealousy. I mean really, the look on Jean-Luc's face on this picture STILL says it all:

tumblr_mc96q3KUSx1r0egvoo1_500.png

You're my new best friend now, I love people who keep an open mind and don't reject things out of hand - and don't worry, once you've spent a bit of time around me, you won't be able to get rid of the slash goggles anymore anyway. :P Take this episode, for example, there's probably no better Picard/Riker episode out there. One of the finest, especially since it adds all the Pressman angst and jealousy. I mean really, the look on Jean-Luc's face on this picture STILL says it all:

tumblr_mc96q3KUSx1r0egvoo1_500.png

It IS a great episode. And IMO? Life is far too short to waste it being close minded.... :punk:

And a very good point about Jean Luc's face; he looks like he's thinking, "Hands off, old man.... he's mine." :P

I love the way you think. :thumbup:

But yeah, how dare Pressman? He just walks off that transporter platform and almost hugs Riker and Jean-Luc is all like "b****h who ARE you even". It makes particular sense for him to be upset because the previous scene has the two of them bickering so adorably about Captain Picard Day and how Jean-Luc "has arranged for a Commander Riker Day next month" and then they walk into that transporter room and Pressman shows up and all goes straight or actually gay to hell.

I love the way you think. :thumbup:

But yeah, how dare Pressman? He just walks off that transporter platform and almost hugs Riker and Jean-Luc is all like "b****h who ARE you even". It makes particular sense for him to be upset because the previous scene has the two of them bickering so adorably about Captain Picard Day and how Jean-Luc "has arranged for a Commander Riker Day next month" and then they walk into that transporter room and Pressman shows up and all goes straight or actually gay to hell.

:giggle:

I need to watch Pegasus again... but I'm afraid I'll be too busy giggling to pay much attention. This is why I love hearing other fan's perspectives; it allows you to see each episode in a new (sometimes hilarious) light. :thumbup:

You're very welcome for the new pair of slash goggles you'll be wearing from now on. :P Oh and it will perhaps even make MORE angsty sense if you take into account that Riker and Pressman might actually once have been an item on board the Pegasus and that's why Riker stood by his captain the way he did while everyone else was very much into mutiny... *innocent*

You're very welcome for the new pair of slash goggles you'll be wearing from now on. :P Oh and it will perhaps even make MORE angsty sense if you take into account that Riker and Pressman might actually once have been an item on board the Pegasus and that's why Riker stood by his captain the way he did while everyone else was very much into mutiny... *innocent*

I think when I watch Pegasus now, I'll see shades of Admiral Cain and Gina Six from new Battlestar Galactica's own (coincidentally named) "Pegasus" arc...

Hell hath no fury as an admiral scorned... ;)

Do the new slash goggles work for 3D movies, too? :P

Just watch this scene, it basically sums up the slash of which the entire episode has more than just plenty:

It just screams awkward 'boyfriend meets ex boyfriend moment'. :P

Oh I think they do. I've never bothered to watch a 3D movie, but I'm sure they come with a 3D version.

LMFAO!!! That's precisely how I feel whenever I watch this episode, yes. TENSION doesn't even BEGIN to express what's happening there. I just love it all - the "sooo, YOU were the one Will dated back then, let me check you out, what do you have what I don't" look on Jean-Luc's face, Riker practically SCREAMING "abort mission, abort mission, abort mission, this is not happening" and Pressman being smug and intentionally oblivious to the sudden presence of UNCOMFORTABLE in the transporter room. Ah, I could write essays on this.

tumblr_ma1oiwlqZm1r0egvoo1_400.png

LMFAO!!! That's precisely how I feel whenever I watch this episode, yes. TENSION doesn't even BEGIN to express what's happening there. I just love it all - the "sooo, YOU were the one Will dated back then, let me check you out, what do you have what I don't" look on Jean-Luc's face, Riker practically SCREAMING "abort mission, abort mission, abort mission, this is not happening" and Pressman being smug and intentionally oblivious to the sudden presence of UNCOMFORTABLE in the transporter room. Ah, I could write essays on this.

tumblr_ma1oiwlqZm1r0egvoo1_400.png

And if you posted them? I'd probably read them, too.... :laugh:

I have another friend on another site and her and I used to joke a lot about 'subtexting.' I used to find her particular subtexts to be utterly hilarious (partly because they looked like they could be true.... ). :giggle:

I'm more a fan fic writer than an essay writer, but hey, I sometimes do launch into a Picard/Riker essay, so, watch the TNG part of this forum and it might happen at some point.

To a slash fan, subtext is EVERYTHING. I understand completely. ;)

I'm more a fan fic writer than an essay writer, but hey, I sometimes do launch into a Picard/Riker essay, so, watch the TNG part of this forum and it might happen at some point.

To a slash fan, subtext is EVERYTHING. I understand completely. ;)

My friend is a master subtexter. She can find it in areas mere mortals would never think to look... :laugh:

If you didn't know, in "These are the Voyages", they imply Pressman worked for Section 31 to test the cloak, and to retrieve it...

Yeah I wondered about this. Section 31 must hate Picard. He's too by-the-book to care about an intelligence failure. He could have equipped the cloak and then warped away, with the Romulan ship none the wiser. Instead, he de-cloaks and tells the Romulans that they had broken the treaty. I didn't agree with Picard's actions here. I think he could have disciplined Pressman for breaking the treaty without telling the Romulans too. If the situation was reversed, no way does the Romulan captain tell the Enterprise they had broken the treaty. The decision whether to tell the Romulans or not should have been made by Starfleet command, not by Picard. A strategic advantage was thrown away by a Picard ego trip.

Still, a good episode, lots of tension was created between Riker and Picard. Also agreed with another poster here, Pressman could have been played as a more sympathetic character, causing a real moral dilemma for Riker.

I doubt it was an ego trip. Jean-Luc doesn't do ego trips.

He was looking at the big picture here. There's no way in hell the incident would have stayed a secret. The Romulans would have demanded an explanation as to how the hell the Enterprise managed to free herself from being trapped inside an asteroid (they would never have admitted that THEY were the ones who trapped her in there, of course) and Starfleet would have been put into a very uncomfortable position. The truth WOULD have come out and the Romulans would have taken GREAT offense at the secret use of a Federation cloaking device and the breaking of the Treaty of Algeron AND the attempt to cover it up. They might even have started a war about this. They were just LOOKING for reasons to start a war with the Federation on more than one occasion and this one would have given them the final reason to do it.

I doubt it was an ego trip. Jean-Luc doesn't do ego trips.

He was looking at the big picture here. There's no way in hell the incident would have stayed a secret. The Romulans would have demanded an explanation as to how the hell the Enterprise managed to free herself from being trapped inside an asteroid (they would never have admitted that THEY were the ones who trapped her in there, of course) and Starfleet would have been put into a very uncomfortable position. The truth WOULD have come out and the Romulans would have taken GREAT offense at the secret use of a Federation cloaking device and the breaking of the Treaty of Algeron AND the attempt to cover it up. They might even have started a war about this. They were just LOOKING for reasons to start a war with the Federation on more than one occasion and this one would have given them the final reason to do it.

I agree.

Every military has it's 'black ops' (the ones that stay off the books), but a Federation cloaking device could've started a war... big difference. It was one of the stipulations for peace between Romulus and the Feds.

Really liked this episode, perhaps the best of the 7th season. Captain Picard day was a fun start, especially in such a serious episode. I liked it that this time it wasn't perfect, situation was clearly uncomfortable for Riker, he did not want to lie to his captain and his comrades. Romulans are my favourite TNG adversaries, these episodes usually are a great watch. Terry O'Quin is always a joy to watch, really great actor.

9/10

I love this episode as well. A bit of a darker turn for the usually squeaky clean ENT-D crew. It is a bit of a...gymnastics to avoid what ENT's finale (tried) to do to this episode, though.

A fine TNG episode. Pretty good in all regards, and Terry O'Quinn is a fine guest actor (love him on "Millennium" too).

And a pretty good character episode for Riker. I'm glad they finally explained his "I won't let my captain go on away missions"-thing. TNG shoud have done more such character episodes.

Edited by Sim

This was a good episode - full of suspense, and character conflict. I only wish that future episodes showed some of the aftermath for Riker and for his career, since Picard said there would be hard questions and hard answers for him. After all, Riker's character, career, and the path he chooses served as one of the primary foci for the "The Best of Both Worlds," so it would definitely have made for compelling storytelling.

This was a good episode - full of suspense, and character conflict. I only wish that future episodes showed some of the aftermath for Riker and for his career, since Picard said there would be hard questions and hard answers for him. After all, Riker's character, career, and the path he chooses served as one of the primary foci for the "The Best of Both Worlds," so it would definitely have made for compelling storytelling.

I'd have been happy if they'd even mentioned any of the fallout.

It wouldn't have fit with the squeaky-clean image of the Enterprise crew, I suppose...

Pretty much it. Would have broken their 'fly off without consequence' tradition.

Sign in to follow this