Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

The Pegasus

Episode name: "The Pegasus"

Season: 7

Director: LeVar Burton

When Riker's first commanding officer comes aboard, in search of the vessel they served on, he is forced to rethink the actions he took at the time. (Memory Alpha)

I can't even begin to name all the plot bunnies that this episode has provided me with... ;) It is perhaps THE Picard/Riker episode. And the whole Picard/Riker/Pressman thingy doesn't hurt either. *cough*

But let's not forget the famous Captain Picard Day. Oooh, it's so adorable! "Why does it have to be me?" :laugh: He's so wonderful. Did I ever mention that? *pets him*

The SRS BSNS mission is wonderful as well, of course. I love the whole cloaking device stuff. And Evil!Pressman hopefully got what he deserved. I love how he tries to assume command and no one even bothers to move. FAIL. :P They only listen to Jean-Luc. And rightly so. *grin*

The Romulan is awesome as well. I love how polite he is while all he really says is "STFU & GTFO". *lol*

I love the whole Captain Picard Day...lol everyone seems amused by it, but him. :P I like how RIker plays with the little Picard doll. I bet he stole it and sleeps with it ;)

Pressman was a jackass...I really did not like that guy!

Ahh, Commander Sirol. :giggle: He wasn't sorry...bloody liar! :laugh: He lies about as good as Tomalak! Both of them always make me giggle. Learn how to use a poker face, you numuts! :laugh: My best friend and roomate, actually thinks Sirol is cute. I'm rubbing off on her!

Good :devil:

Ahh, Commander Sirol. :giggle: He wasn't sorry...bloody liar! :laugh: He lies about as good as Tomalak!

:giggle: How either he or Picard keep anything like a stright face when they're telling hose bare faced lies like that amaze me.

Great episode all in all, diving into Riker's past, seeing the crew stay loyal to Picard, and how the whole thing's left the Federation squirming awkwardly.

I'm amazed there was never anything more heard about this though, especially the Romulans finding out the Federation's been breaking the Treat of Algeron.

starfire, i agree!! i would thought they would have said something about this. even about riker when picard sees him in the brig and says this will change a lot of people's minds about riker, i would have liked to see how that would worked out!!

i love this eppy!!! i love seeing how riker looked at himself years later, and how he realized it was a mistake to have sided with his captain and to keep him mouth shut!! and sometimes it's nice to see riker do things that are wrong, the guilt he felt about keeping quiet, i liked seeing him struggle with it!!

captain picard day gets 2 thumbs up!!!

love the picard doll!!

starfire, i agree!! i would thought they would have said something about this. even about riker when picard sees him in the brig and says this will change a lot of people's minds about riker, i would have liked to see how that would worked out!!

i love this eppy!!! i love seeing how riker looked at himself years later, and how he realized it was a mistake to have sided with his captain and to keep him mouth shut!! and sometimes it's nice to see riker do things that are wrong, the guilt he felt about keeping quiet, i liked seeing him struggle with it!!

captain picard day gets 2 thumbs up!!!

love the picard doll!!

Well my guess is that because it was mid way through the last season they didn't have time to elaborate further on the treaty violation, but still...they could at least had a mention in DS9 or something.

As for Riker, we don't see him being offered another command for 8 or 9 years until he clears off onto the Titan post Nemesis, though I'd have to factor in this is in part because of Riker not wanting to leave the Enterprise.

Meh, the Romulans violate that treaty every other day as it is :laugh:

I liked this episode, the whole phase cloak idea was pretty nifty.

And the scene with Riker's shirt hanging open wasn't unwelcome either lol. Totally ruined though by TRHDOD being in the shot :laugh:

Captain Picard Day was cute too :giggle:

A great episode! It adds a lot of depth to Riker's character, in showing the audience that he has been involved in activities and decisions that he isn't proud of. "Pegasus" also shows us a glimpse of the corruption that exists within the Federation's highest levels, and what some individuals will do to gain an advantage over another government (in this case, the Romulans). I've often wondered if Admiral Pressman had ties to Section 31, as the cloaking technology the Pegasus was equipped with seemed the type of equipment that they would use.

--Captain Sisko

Captain Picard Day is full of Win!

This is one of the rare episodes where Riker doesn't get on my nerves. Maybe because he's the one under pressure, I don't know.

I'm glad they finally addressed the issue of why the Federation didn't use cloaking technology, and they came up with a good reason too.

One thing I don't get about this episode though: How did the cloak cause the Pegasus and Enterprise to travel through rock? It's a cloak, it makes you invisible, why did it send them out of phase as well?

One thing I don't get about this episode though: How did the cloak cause the Pegasus and Enterprise to travel through rock? It's a cloak, it makes you invisible, why did it send them out of phase as well?

It's not just a cloaking device. It's an interphase cloaking device.

The interphase cloaking device was an advanced type of cloaking device that allows a starship to travel through solid matter and high-energy fields. A molecular phase inverter moves the ship out of phase with the spacetime continuum. (Memory Alpha)

That's why they could fly through rock. An ordinary cloaking device can't do that, I assume.

Cool ep, I remember wanting to strangle Pressman, shake some sense into Riker (for believing in Pressman) and then hug him. Captain Picard Day was Teh Win!

Meh, the Romulans violate that treaty every other day as it is :laugh:

Yeah well at least nobody showed the Romulans stealing stuff from Federation ships.

Or make the Empire, enter into a war.

it's a classic episode. Though one of my favourite moments at the end is when Pressman tries ordering Worf but Worf just folds his arms.

It's not just a cloaking device. It's an interphase cloaking device.

The interphase cloaking device was an advanced type of cloaking device that allows a starship to travel through solid matter and high-energy fields. A molecular phase inverter moves the ship out of phase with the spacetime continuum. (Memory Alpha)

That's why they could fly through rock. An ordinary cloaking device can't do that, I assume.

Thank you :)

I loved it :)

I'm probably going to add this to the list of favorite eps.

Captain Picard Day was very cute, yes. I love how Jean-luc was like "Heh..I'm a role model"

It was funny the way he said that ^^

There should be a real Captain Picard Day! Anyway, this episode was very enjoyabe, love how Riker struggles to tell the truth to Jean-Luc.

Yeah well at least nobody showed the Romulans stealing stuff from Federation ships.

Or make the Empire, enter into a war.

I'm sure that also happens as well, though. ;)

Most likely. If a Romulan wants something, then they do everything in their power to get it. They've likely stolen from Federation ships in the past *shrugs*

If you didn't know, in "These are the Voyages", they imply Pressman worked for Section 31 to test the cloak, and to retrieve it...

This is one of my few favorites of season 7 (there weren't too many for me that year; but "Pegasus", "Parallels" and "All Good Things" sort of made up for it).

My only issues with "Pegasus" were two fold.

I thought Pressman's villainy was a bit too obvious. I would've liked if he'd been played a bit more sympathetically; to where you would imagine that Riker's loyalties were genuinely divided. As played on screen, he came off as just a mean, arrogant blowhard, and it was easy to imagine Riker having to betray him. I didn't see any compelling reason that Riker would've supported this man other than his superior rank...

My second issue (and this is a minor one), I would loved to have seen Will have to really have to work to regain Picard's trust again. Maybe a three episode follow-up arc with Riker off of active duty and in the brig. The episodes after that could've been a great opportunity for Jonathan Frakes to play the fallen hero who seeks to regain honor and the trust of his shipmates. And ultimately succeeding. It would've been great, IMO. Kind of like Wesley's arc in "First Duty" (one of my favorites of season 5).

;)

Edited by Sehlat Bear

^ ooooh I love this idea, although my reasons are clearly very biased. (Let's just say that I like angsty stuff that involves Jean-Luc and Riker.)

Sign in to follow this