Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Parallels

It's always interesting to think about the choices (both ours and others) that might have been, and to see that concept illustrated literally for this sort of ep.

I just finished watching this episode (again), and an interesting scenario occurred to me. Suppose that one of the alternate Enterprises had been under the command of a character from another Star Trek race, such as the Romulans. Can you imagine the look on Worf's face as he discovers that his commanding officer is none other than Tomalak?

--Captain Sisko

I LOVE this episode, it is just such a cool idea for one thing. The Worf character really shines here for the first time in ages. I also love crazy hobo bearded Riker and the alternate idea of Borg Assimilated Federation is fun to see for whatever reason. 8 out of 10.

THIS is one of my top ten favorite episodes; it's alternate reality idea is pretty much the engine that made ST09 possible. I wasn't too crazy about Worf and Troi as a couple, except under comic circumstances, as this episode suggested. But the idea of myriad Enterprises each with a unique pocket of ST 'history' was brilliantly executed. The changes go from subtle (Data's blue eyes, different painting, etc) to the dramatic (new bridge tech, Riker in command, Geordi dead, etc). And I know there are Wesley haters out there, but I am not one of them (liked him better than his ditzy mother). He wasn't well-served in the early years of the show (not many were, really), but I thought his later appearances more than made up for it. I loved "Final Mission" "Evolution" and "First Duty" in particular. The ones that showed more chinks in the Wesley armor; "FD" is one of my favorite episodes, period. But here he is just of the many 'what if' scenarios, and I thought his appearance was fitting.

But of course, the bit that still gets the pulse pounding is the "Federation is gone, Borg are everywhere" wild-eyed alternate Riker scene. I would've liked an even deeper glimpse into THIS universe someday....

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Parallels has always been one of my favourite TNG episodes.

It focuses on (one of) my favourite TNG characters and has lots of interesting "alternate universe" twists. The premise is very intriguing and for a while I was obsessed with the idea of "everything that can happen, does happen". - I also liked to trick my little brother by moving things surreptitiously round the house and then trying to convince him he must be shifting between quantum realities :biggrin:

I like the Worf/Troi relationship and how this sets Worf thinking about this in the real universe, which provides a sort of arc for him for the rest of the season. I also like the Argus Array, something that had been seen in a couple of previous episodes.

I like exploring the "what if" possibilities; if Picard had not survived Best of Both Worlds (a distinct possibility at the time), if Worf was first officer, if the Bajorans were aggressive, if a Cardasaian served at the helm, if Ogawa was the doctor instead of Beverly and so on...

Another great bit is having Wesley back, and this time as a lieutenant at Tactical! - Another one of my favourite TNG characters finally gets the rank the deserves.

In my opinion, this is one of the best episodes of any Trek series.

This episode, along with the finale All good things... and The Pegasus are the three must-watch episodes of Season 7. The rest of the season is filler, with average to mediocre episodes.

It had an interesting sci-fi concept with quantum realities. Worf was a good choice as main character for this episode, as his ideas and suggestions are often ignored by Riker and Picard. If it was either Picard or Riker doing the traveling between quantum realities, they would have been more readily believed. It built the right amount of tension, and had comedic elements as well such as between Troi and Worf, and Grizzly Riker.

Really like this episode, so many different realities, Wesley back on the bridge of the Enterprise, a reality where Picard has been killed during the Borg incident. Only Troi and Worf together is an impossibility for me!

8/10

This is my favorite Worf episode; and I don't really like Worf, so that's saying a lot. It says even more when I say this is one of my all-time favorite TNGs (Worf-centeric or not)...

Good episode, though not very original. The same storyline had been done on Superboy with good success, and of course, Sliders wasn't far behind this story either.

Not to mention DC comics, and probably a slew of sci-fi stories I'm missing.

It's one of those stories that any writer can make interesting because the topic is interesting.

It might have been a cool nod if we saw Worf in the mirror universe briefly.

I also liked that they had the technology to determine that each universe has a distinct signature.

Good episode, though not very original. The same storyline had been done on Superboy with good success, and of course, Sliders wasn't far behind this story either.

TOS "Mirror, Mirror" and Twilight Zone's "The Parallel" beat both of them as well (and yes, you're right; a slew of other printed stories as well).

Most 'new' ideas in science fiction simply aren't; so much of what makes a science fiction piece a good one is the execution. In that, I think "Parallels' succeeded brilliantly.

Yeah, but same thing, different show does not happen THAT often.

I'm sure you can find similar stories in a lot of shows, but a good writer puts spins on them that make it original and good.

I haven't seen that Twilight Zone in a long time, so I have no memory of it.

I will say this though--I would not use Mirror Mirror as an episode that beats this to the punch. It's not the concept of alternate universes that I would consider the unoriginal point. It's basically the Sliders template.

The idea that there are an infinite number of parallel universes out there, and having characters explore that.

That exact line of alternate universe exploration was done on Superboy within a very close timeframe before TNG did it.

I'm not saying I don't LIKE that form either. I loved Sliders, and this TNG episode was a good effort as well.

Parallels worked, but it's hard to mess up this alternate universe storytelling.

There are just too many options and ideas.

That's why it bugs me that Sliders lost its edge after Arturo left.

It's not the concept of alternate universes that I would consider the unoriginal point. It's basically the Sliders template.

Alternate and parallel realities are essentially the same thing.

Sometimes the differences are subtle, sometimes they're overt. The 'mirror' universe is just an alternate reality concept taken to an extreme.

Twilight Zone's "Parallel" was about an astronaut, who (like Worf) landed back home, only to slowly uncover differences in the 'home' he found himself (different president, differences around his house, his family, etc). If anything, "Sliders" (and "Parallels") was that show but in series' form.

That's not what I mean. I feel the stories of Mirror Mirror and Parallels are sufficiently different that I wouldn't call one a rip off of the other.

The concepts are related of course, but Parallels takes the concept in a far broader way. Those episodes of Superboy that I talked about are actually among the best of the series.

That's not what I mean. I feel the stories of Mirror Mirror and Parallels are sufficiently different that I wouldn't call one a rip off of the other.

Never said or meant to imply it was a 'ripoff'; I just meant that the concept of parallel worlds in science fiction is an old one, that's all. Not accusing anyone of plagiarism.

Understood. Star Trek has done ripoffs before. Voyager was incredibly unoriginal. Parallel worlds is a broad concept though. Plenty of room for originality and fresh ideas.

It's not unlike time travel stories. With good writers and smart thinking, they can still be pretty awesome.

Parallel worlds is a broad concept though. Plenty of room for originality and fresh ideas.

It's not unlike time travel stories. With good writers and smart thinking, they can still be pretty awesome.

I just watched a classic Doctor Who recently (via Netflix) called "Inferno" which had Jon Pertwee's Doctor slip 'sideways' through time (via his disconnected Tardis console) into a militaristic parallel world; one where the UK was a fascist dictatorship and even the Brigadier was clean shaven and wore an eyepatch. It was DW's answer to "Mirror Mirror" and while fun in places, went on a wee bit too long for such a relatively thin story (even the writer admitted it could've been a 4 parter instead of 7).

One interesting thing about parallel worlds is that the other worlds can be shown going straight to hell (like the Borgified universe glimpsed in "Parallels") with little or no consequence to the main characters. And since it actually 'happens' (somewhere) it's not quite as maddening as the time travel reset button. In DW's "Inferno" the Doctor actually sees the parallel Earth destroyed when a deep crust drilling project goes awry.

It's a wonderful way to have one's cake and eat it too...

That's why Sliders was so good before they dumped Arturo. So many possibilities and they did a great job exploring it.

Sliders is one of the reasons I don't watch first run SyFy Network channels. Ended the show on a cliffhanger.

The last season wasn't the best, but it ended on a cliffhanger.

Even today, I'd love to see them return to the concept if only to bring back O'Connell's character. He was great in that show.

Even today, I'd love to see them return to the concept if only to bring back O'Connell's character. He was great in that show.

Completely agree. It was a wonderful concept and in some ways the show really was ahead of its time. I'd love to see it back.

Completely agree. It was a wonderful concept and in some ways the show really was ahead of its time. I'd love to see it back.

I also agree that it would probably do better today than it did in the '90s; it was a bit too ahead of its time, I think.

That's hard to say. The first 2 1/2 seasons of that show were absolutely incredible.

No complaints on the effects, the cast was brilliant, and under Tracy Torme, so was the writing.

Ultimately, bringing the show back would require writing on that level. If they find the right writers, it can definitely be as good.

Sliders was an interesting show for me because it's one of 2 shows that I actually sat down and wrote a fan fic about.

I basically started at the cliffhanger series finale, and worked my way toward getting all the original sliders back together, in theory without violating any continuity. The end result would be that the story could continue, with random sliding, and the originals all together again. The hard part was getting from Season 5 back to the basics.

The Borgified universe was explored in the DC Comics' TNG comic book in a story arc published before BEFORE Parallels aired, in a story which the Enterprise-D from the normal timeline cross a dimensional rift to that universe amd have to help the badly damaged Enterprise-D of that universe, where the Bord are everywhere.

c7.jpg

Sign in to follow this