Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Inheritance

Episode name: "Inheritance"

Season: 7

Director: Robert Scheerer

Data meets Juliana Tainer, former wife of Dr. Noonien Soong and Data's "mother," but she holds a shocking secret that even she doesn't know she carries. (Memory Alpha)

Another season 7 family episode. *sigh* I mean I'm not a huge Data fan in the first place... and this episode simply tends to bore me on quite a few levels. I don't have much to say about it... :dontgetit:

I really liked this episode, but I was angry at Troi. No good councillor would say keeping the truth from someone was a good thing!

Oh, I'm not so sure about that Voyager, I guess it would depend on whether staying silent would hurt the patient more than telling it would hurt the recipient (I would never, ever consider it acceptable to tell a child, even an adult child, that you even for a minute thought of ending the pregnancy with an abortion).

Poor Data. Not one of my favorite Data episodes though.

Oh, I'm not so sure about that Voyager, I guess it would depend on whether staying silent would hurt the patient more than telling it would hurt the recipient (I would never, ever consider it acceptable to tell a child, even an adult child, that you even for a minute thought of ending the pregnancy with an abortion).

Poor Data. Not one of my favorite Data episodes though.

That isn't about the child though; that's about the parent and their past decisions.

I suppose I see it that way because I would personally want to be told. I don't like the idea of someone knowing something about me that I don't know myself.

I just found it odd that Soong never mentioned that Data had an android mother out there somewhere. Or that there was yet ANOTHER Soong-type android prototype out there awaiting assembly (B-4). Just seems that there's another android out there whenever they need one; kind of takes some of Data's uniqueness away.

I think the episode would've resonated a bit deeper for me if Julianna were human. The android thing seemed a tad too convenient.

But on the whole, it's not really a bad episode, just a tad too 'neat' for my tastes....

B-4's presence makes even less sense if you consider the fact that Lore was the first android to look like Soong/Data (the prototypes did not, at least that's what I can gather from Data's "mom", she only mentions Lore looking like Soong/Data). There's no way in hell Soong had the time to make Lore, Data AND another android, he struggled enough with "getting Lore right" and when that didn't work, he created Data and then the colony was attacked and he had to go and leave his lab behind and whatnot. He then appeared to have focused on the emotion chip for Data - not on creating another android. And really, even if, he already knew what to do, there's no way in hell he'd have ended up creating an android who is as... well... not-smart as B-4. Just another wonderful Nemesis plot hole that shows how everyone just ignored what was being said in the series for the sake of a useless action movie.

B-4's presence makes even less sense if you consider the fact that Lore was the first android to look like Soong/Data (the prototypes did not, at least that's what I can gather from Data's "mom", she only mentions Lore looking like Soong/Data). There's no way in hell Soong had the time to make Lore, Data AND another android, he struggled enough with "getting Lore right" and when that didn't work, he created Data and then the colony was attacked and he had to go and leave his lab behind and whatnot. He then appeared to have focused on the emotion chip for Data - not on creating another android. And really, even if, he already knew what to do, there's no way in hell he'd have ended up creating an android who is as... well... not-smart as B-4. Just another wonderful Nemesis plot hole that shows how everyone just ignored what was being said in the series for the sake of a useless action movie.

Yes, there were a lot of things that didn't add up in Nemesis. B-4's presence among the rest. I do remember Julianna Soong mentioning other failed prototypes, but where were they when the crew beamed down to Data's home colony? Did the Romulans (or Remans) already raid the place (and it took them 15 LONG years to hatch their scheme)? And if so, why did they leave Lore behind? I just write "Nemesis" off as a sloppy sequel, nothing more.

Another issue I have is with Julianna's poor husband; is ANYONE ever going to tell him his wife is an ANDROID?!? Not to sound bigoted, but really; I'd imagine he'd have a right to know. It's not like she's lying about her birthday (although that lie is included at no extra charge); it's her very nature, for goodness' sake. I always thought he had a right to know that his wife is a technical construct and not a biological being like himself. Kind of important, really. I suppose if he REALLY loved her, it (ultimately) wouldn't be a deal breaker (Kirk fell in love with an android in "Requiem for Methuselah"), but is IS important. Especially if she ever 'malfunctioned' and he didn't know what to do. That would put me into a panic.... not to mention the emotional trauma that would follow upon accidentally discovering her true nature. Now there's a follow up idea awaiting fanfic exploration someday.

:huh2:

I liked this episode 'cause I really like Data and love almost everything he does ("Descent" is the exception... always will be).

I would have liked it better is Julianna had been human.

I loved the part when Data asks her if she had abandoned him if he were her biological son.

I also think they should have told her she was an android.

Oh and Noonien must have been the smartest and richest guy ever to create all those almost perfect androids, pffff, even when I love Data I find this SO hard to believe. Julianna is just an exaggeration.

Sign in to follow this