Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Force Of Nature

Episode name: "Force Of Nature"

Season: 7

Director: Robert Lederman

Investigating the disappearance of several ships, the Enterprise discovers two scientists who claim that warp drive is destructive to the fabric of subspace. (Memory Alpha)

Now really, I'm all for "protect the environment" messages, but this episode is so utterly lame... and it just FAILs to leave an emotional impact on me. It's a typical season 7 episode IMO. Sigh.

I do like the parts that are all about Data trying to train Spot, though. Liked that little sub plot they added. ;) But the rest of the episode simply bores me. There's no other word for it. Sorry. @.@ *lol*

I do like the parts that are all about Data trying to train Spot, though.

That's about all I get out of it! lol

This is the episode where Spot has a gender change lol

I like this episode, partly because of how relevant it is today; I do, however, fail to see the logic in that scientist's actions. She wanted action taken to prevent these rifts. Okay, she was angry about it just going to science team, which would take a year for anything to happen, but what is the logic of creating a rift, when you are trying to prevent them? It might have taken a year, but it is unlikely that a rift would have formed in that time and then something could actually be done.

Data and Spock were cool. The rifts didn't make sense, and the speed limit isn't really referred to again...

You meant Spot not Spock :P

Anyways...watched the episode awhle. Still a very good episode but not a favorite episode either. Still love the scenes about dealing with Spot and Data trying to train her

Data and Spock were cool. The rifts didn't make sense, and the speed limit isn't really referred to again...

They did in another episode have Picard say something in a log entry about getting permission from starfleet command to exceed the speed limit for their mission, but which one it was escapes me atm.

Just another throw away episode in Season 7. All of the sudden, warp travel hurts the environment? Why did it take them so long to figure that one out? It just doesn't make sense, and was just another episode that over-reached to draw parallels to contemporary environmental issues. I've seen better plots than this from @TNG_S8

They referenced it in "The Pegasus", where Jean-Luc was given permission to exceed warp speed limitations for the duration of the whole mission because it was so urgent that they find the Pegasus before the Romulans do.

I actually don't mind the actual message (what can I say, I'm a member of the Green Party) but they DID make it a bit TOO much. But that bumper sticker idea is still awesome. lol

I actually don't mind the actual message (what can I say, I'm a member of the Green Party) but they DID make it a bit TOO much. But that bumper sticker idea is still awesome. lol

My politics are pretty much in the left as well.... ;)

Card carrying liberal, at your service. :P

Wasn't a bad episode, but I didn't care much for it either, only the Data, Spot, LaForge scenes were fun to watch and also the scenes with the Ferengi were nice.

Okay and perhaps they referred to the destructiveness of warp a few times after this episode but (gladly) never heard of it in any future Trek series or movies.

6/10

Wasn't a bad episode, but I didn't care much for it either, only the Data, Spot, LaForge scenes were fun to watch and also the scenes with the Ferengi were nice.

Okay and perhaps they referred to the destructiveness of warp a few times after this episode but (gladly) never heard of it in any future Trek series or movies.

6/10

The newer Federation starships are all hybrids now... :giggle:

6/10

The newer Federation starships are all hybrids now... :giggle:

:thumbup: LOL

4/10

Overall, it was a rather dull episode. Messages about environmental awareness are good, but the behavior of female scientist doesn't make sense. It's the 24th century, for crying out loud - remote controls work really well...

Moreover, we once again have an instance of a potential game-changer, something that would drastically affect the Federation...and it's only mentioned once in "The Pegasus" when Picard is allowed to go faster than Warp Five. In addition, Voyager is somehow designed to fix the problem within a year of this speed limit being put in place.

4/10

Overall, it was a rather dull episode. Messages about environmental awareness are good, but the behavior of female scientist doesn't make sense. It's the 24th century, for crying out loud - remote controls work really well...

Moreover, we once again have an instance of a potential game-changer, something that would drastically affect the Federation...and it's only mentioned once in "The Pegasus" when Picard is allowed to go faster than Warp Five. In addition, Voyager is somehow designed to fix the problem within a year of this speed limit being put in place.

4/10, but it is at least well paced.

I don't see how it comes close to passing scientific muster to the point where, almost immediately, the Federation puts the brakes on everything based upon a virtual fiasco that takes place in one decidedly unique galactic environment. Thast warp factor matters there has no bearing on everyone else, yet the Federation behaves as though it's all settled fact.

Also, I don't care what Worf says, there's no way the Klingons are going to do more than pay lip service to "obeying the restrictions."

4/10

4/10, but it is at least well paced.

I don't see how it comes close to passing scientific muster to the point where, almost immediately, the Federation puts the brakes on everything based upon a virtual fiasco that takes place in one decidedly unique galactic environment. Thast warp factor matters there has no bearing on everyone else, yet the Federation behaves as though it's all settled fact.

Also, I don't care what Worf says, there's no way the Klingons are going to do more than pay lip service to "obeying the restrictions."

Warp five saves lives... :P

I actually remember seeing that on a bumper sticker at my very first convention; I knew I'd found my tribe! :thumbup:

Sign in to follow this