Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

The Paradise Syndrome

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

202 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Isn't the science of warp speed off a little bit? Ship is zooming to meet the asteroid at Warp 9, but then it takes 2-3 months to get back to the planet at impulse? Doesn't add up any way you look at it.

Another thing that always bugs me; why do they show the ship (both original and the updated fx version) going in reverse the whole way back to the planet? 

Great episode despite these nitpicks.

1 hour ago, John32070 said:

Isn't the science of warp speed off a little bit? Ship is zooming to meet the asteroid at Warp 9, but then it takes 2-3 months to get back to the planet at impulse? Doesn't add up any way you look at it.

Good point.  Very good, in fact.

It also depends on how long the ship was pushed at warp 9 to meet the deflection point, but yeah; if the ship was at warp 9 for any substantial length of time (even a few hours), it would take a hell of a lot longer than a few months to limp back at sub-light speeds.   More like years.

I noticed a similar thing in The Voyage Home; the Klingon bird-of-prey’s speed is off the dial (well beyond its maximum warp) and yet it does this nice, gentle parabola around the sun.  The sun itself is only about eight light minutes away from Earth.   And warp 9-plus whatever, the BOP’s flight to and around it would be less than a blink. 

Well, Trek hasn't always understood warp speeds it seems. 

TMP: Earth to Vulcan in 4 days (presumably at warp 7). JJ Trek: Earth to Vulcan in roughly 4 minutes (at maybe Warp 9). TOS also never stipulated there was a limit to warp speeds either (warp 11?). Remember in Broken Bow, Trip says Earth to Neptune and back in 6 minutes (presumably at warp 5)? Maybe 6 seconds...

Something else about this episode; Scotty says no way to repair the engines on their own. So how did they get to a Starbase I wonder?

8 minutes ago, John32070 said:

TMP: Earth to Vulcan in 4 days (presumably at warp 7). JJ Trek: Earth to Vulcan in roughly 4 minutes (at maybe Warp 9).

The TNG technical manual conceded the point and stated that the speed scales had been recalculated from TOS to TNG.

scenario   

Time problems like this happen all the time in books, TV shows and movies. I was just reading a book where the hero took something like half a day to drive somewhere and a full day to walk back. Even at say 50 km/hr, 10 hours of driving would get you 500 km or a little over 300 miles. You can't walk 300 miles in a day.

The needs of the story outweigh the needs of reality sometimes. 

Autocad   

Watching this  right now. And I think this must have been an expensive episode. Filming outside, that is very nice. And the large outside monument thing, I really wonder if they built that for this episode. Or was it a leftover prop from another movie. Because it looks very expensive. And it's a great episode too.

15 minutes ago, Autocad said:

Watching this  right now. And I think this must have been an expensive episode. Filming outside, that is very nice. And the large outside monument thing, I really wonder if they built that for this episode. Or was it a leftover prop from another movie. Because it looks very expensive. And it's a great episode too.

It was the only S3 location shoot, if I’m not mistaken.   And from what I’ve read, the obelisk was built for the episode. 

4 hours ago, Autocad said:

Wow, built for this episode. I sure would like to see some 'behind the scenes' photos of the prop makers.... Great episode too.

Each one is a little pricey, but the Marc Cushman “These Are The Voyages...”  making-of books are exhaustive in their details about the production of the episodes.   Vol 3 covers the third season, and the making of this episode in-depth.  Highly recommended.

Sign in to follow this