Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

The Omega Glory

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

The Omega Glory

TOS Season 2, Episode 23

WRITTEN BY

Gene Roddenberry

DIRECTED BY

Vincent McEveety

First Aired Mar 1, 1968

Stardate Unknown

The Enterprise encounters the U.S.S. Exeter abandoned in orbit of Omega IV. After boarding the ship, the landing party finds that the crew has been killed by a mysterious virus and that the ship's captain may be violating the Prime Directive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Kirk is ranting and raving about Tracey interfering. How many times has Kirk interfered with other cultures though?

Where did they get the American flag and declaration of independence from?

Wasn't it convenient that Spock was able to suggest that woman to do what he wanted? Why doesn't he just do that whenever he's captured? 'My mind to your mind - I suggest you let me loose.'

For those two reasons, the episode loses points, other than that it was pretty good. Gets a 7.

Uuuuugh, this is one of my least favorite episodes... Kirk rants on and and on about someone else interfering, but then he does the very same thing in the end...

This is an episode I totally could've done without. I give it a 3. I'm feeling generous today. ;)

Fun moments like Kirk fighting for his life and Sulu coming to the rescue. :thumbsup2:

4. Rediculous episode that doesn't really make sense. It's interesting how when Native Americans are on screen, they always have to use terms like "fire boxes." I didn't understand why they were serving Tracey either.

Couldn't stand this one :confused:

I had almost got it out of my memory until this thread jogged it again :giggle:

Gets a 2 :whack:

Edited by Starfire

Urgh... Quoting the Declaration of Independence word for word? This was so campy it beggars belief. Can't have been credible when it was made, when the Cold War was raging on. Commies and Yankees...

Skipping the Kirk bashing the episode is a fairly muddling affair unfortunately. There's some small moments some of them unintentionally funny. One of the latter is when Kirk is fighting in the cell then uses the woman as a shield before throwing her whilst Spock looks on impassively. Then there's McCoy where he says "thank you" to the girl then says it again with a great of Southern charm. Bones you old devil. Then there's Spock's eyebrow arch when the sword goes to his throat.

There's something about seeing Tracey and Kirk fight. Two starship commanders. One far experienced yet gone off the deep end and the other young, slightly inexperienced. I don't know, Kirk pushed the lines on occasions but he didn't cause the death of hundreds if not thousands.

As for the Yankees, playing the national anthem didn't help. Doesn't help. The episode could've done without it. Shatner gets going but why not, the episode needed it.

This was a good one, Captain Tracey is played by the same guy that played Simon VanGelder in that Season 1 episode in the mental home. He is as creepy and effective here as he is there. I could have done without all the American flag stuff at the end though, why where there still 50 states when the land is different? Oh well. It still deserves a 7.

The whole thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would Tracy be trying to contact such a primitive people to begin with? And the whole thing of another world coming up with a USA and a declaration of independence is beyond fathomable.

The whole thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why would Tracy be trying to contact such a primitive people to begin with? And the whole thing of another world coming up with a USA and a declaration of independence is beyond fathomable.

I could almost accept the whole parallel America/Communist thing (just as much as I can accept planets with bipedal lifeforms speaking American-accented English), but the idea that Tracy breaking his oath so quickly and easily when his crew was in danger.   Didn't he take the same psych (or Kobyashi Maru) test as everyone else?   Wouldn't his prior mental instabilities have surfaced then?   You would think that Starfleet psych evaluations would be pretty thorough and Tracy clearly wasn't terribly stable.   Not to mention he could switch loyalties on a dime.   Hardly the type to captain one of the Starfleet's greatest assets; a Constitution class (in light of the episode, forgive the pun) starship.  

But this episode is a groaner on many levels; Kirk's tortured reading of the constitution of the United States at the end is just the icing on a fallen cake.  It's also another one of those 'rah-rah capitalism/American way' episodes that I just find wildly implausible for a "United Earth" 200 and some years from now; it just reeks of Nixonian-era politics (much like "Private Little War" defended the failed Vietnam policies of Johnson).   

The only scene I though was kind of nice was McCoy catching the eye of that cute Kohm girl.  Nice little moment for De Kelley.   Gotta say, McCoy's occasional flirts with the ladies were always charming; I loved those little moments whenever they were allowed.   He wasn't the overly-aggressive skirt chaser that Kirk was, but when McCoy decided to work it?  He had enough charm to light a small city.   Just the way he pauses from his work for a second to appreciate the girl's charms with a simple 'thank you'; it's mildly flirtatious without being creepy or obvious.   I love it.

theomegaglory_342.jpg

Loved how she smiled in return, too... cute.  ;)

Sign in to follow this