Voyager

Patterns of Force

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Patterns of Force

TOS Season 2, Episode 21

WRITTEN BY

John Meredyth Lucas

DIRECTED BY

Vincent McEveety

First Aired Feb 16, 1968

Stardate 2534.0

The Enterprise finds that Federation historian John Gill has instituted Nazi-ism on the planet Ekos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm not keen on the whole Nazi-culture-being-brought-to-another-world idea, I did enjoy watching it. Especially the scene where Spock climbs on Kirk's back. :giggle:

I give it an 8.

It gets 10 points for some very witty dialogue AND shirtless Spock but loses 2 points for the whole Nazi-culture-developing-on-another-planet theme that's been done to death and just doesn't hold water when it comes to probability theories.

So I'm giving it an 8. It's still one of my faves, though.

Edited by elara_ananke

Oooh the BIG forbidden episode that has never been aired here in Germany. (I think. On some Pay TV channel perhaps.)

It is included in the TOS DVD box set of course, though... so I do own it... I must say it's one of my favorites. It teaches a very important lesson about why the Prime Directive is the Prime Directive and how interfering with another culture can have devastating effects.

It gets a 9 from me.

Yeah, it was shown on Pay-TV once, I think. Never on Free-TV, though. Just once I wish they'd show it. Maybe with the current hype about ST XI our resident German Star Trek channel, Kabel 1, will show it? They certainly show just about everything else that has "Trek" branded on it: All 10 prior movies, ENT from the start, and I think even TOS.

The episode gets a 9 from me.

^

I stopped caring about voice-dubbed Trek on TV a long time ago, but I think it's ridiculous that "Patterns Of Force" has never been aired here... sigh. I do think that it was sold on VHS, though. I dunno.

Yeah, it probably was sold on VHS. And I don't care all that much about dubs in general, either, but this one I'd like to see on Free-TV just once and just for knowing that they finally got their heads out of their lower backsides and showed it on Free-TV. ;)

Loved it, it was very well done. It must have been weird for the Jewish Nimoy to appear in a Nazi uniform.

Loved it, it was very well done. It must have been weird for the Jewish Nimoy to appear in a Nazi uniform.

Interesting, I wonder how both Shatner and Nimoy felt about this episode, given that they're both Jewish.

It's a good enough episode. Another one perhaps where a tight budget means costumes on the Paramount Lot can be raided. :)

I'd think Nimoy would be more...unsettled wearing a SS uniform then Shatner. Can't remember if he said anything in his Trek Memories..

Edited by Raven

This episode is excellent, I don't understand why the captain introduced Nazi-ism to the planet though. Oh well, this is still one of my favourites. It gets a 9.

I like this one very much; it's powerful stuff (especially since the only Nazis on TV at that time were the bumbling, silly kind of "Hogan's Heroes"). My only nit is that unless John Gill was a closeted anti-Semite, I don't think he'd be compelled to duplicate the exact Nazi swastikas and uniforms, etc. That seemed a bit creepy for such a 'kind, gentle' man as Kirk characterized him. Why he would be compelled to introduce the same symbolism knowing how many millions of deaths were behind it all is just beyond me; the metaphor could've been effective even if done in a more subtle manner (like the quasi-fascist look of the Visitors' uniforms in the original "V" miniseries in 1983). I guess Paramount had a large supply of Nazi props, costumes & paraphernalia left over from WW2 movies and used them as a cost-cutting measure.

But otherwise, this is a terrific episode. I especially liked the actor Richard Evans who played Izak (he reminded me of a young Jeff Goldblum; even down to his nervous edgy delivery). The moment where Abram tells him his fiance was killed is very powerful; especially when he says "she lived for five hours; while they walked past her... and spat on her." That line is like a dagger in the heart.

I think the resolution may have been a bit too pat (you think everyone will forgive and forget so easily?), but then again, this is Star Trek not NBC's "Holocaust."

All in all, for having the courage to tackle Nazism head on and for some excellent dramatic fireworks, I give it a solid 8!

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I hate watching anything having to do with the Nazis, so this isn't one of my favorite episodes.  I knew Nimoy was Jewish but didn't realize Shatner is, too.  Must have been weird for them having to play those roles.  WWII ended 23 years prior to this episode which wasn't that long ago at the time.

The scene with Spock climbing on Kirk is priceless!  :laugh:  Did anyone notice after Kirk and Spock are whipped that only Kirk has stripes on his back?  Vulcans must be like Timex watches--they take a licking and keep on ticking! 

Well, they're not, Nazis, they're only in the uniforms and the point of the episode is really to illustrate that there's really no way to have benign Nazis, so, I'm sure in context it didn't bother them so much.

And Spock does indeed have hash marks: 

patternsofforcehd0331.jpg

patternsofforcehd0368.jpg

Green blood, green hash marks.