Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Second Chances

Episode name: "Second Chances"

Season: 6

Director: LeVar Burton

The Enterprise finds a second Will Riker on a planet that he helped evacuate eight years ago. (Memory Alpha)

Not really a fan of this episode... too much R/T for my taste. *massive cringe* But really, Troi deserves a bump on the head. She gets a second chance with a slightly different Riker who clearly likes her, and she just lets him leave. WTF. If she had gone with him, he wouldn't have messed up his life so much afterwards, methinks. But oh well. I'm no help whatsoever anyway when it comes to emotional stuff, so maybe I'm viewing this the wrong way...

But still, the fact remains that this episode isn't one of my favorites. :huh:

Terilynn would definately be a fan of this episode lol

Anyways, I liked this episode. It was really good. One of my favorite Riker episodes

I love this episode for very obvious reasons :inlove: (probably the same ones as Terilynn).

I enjoyed the R/T stuff in this episode and actually liked that Deanna chose to stay on the Enterprise. I really wish DS9 or one of the movies would have followed up on Thomas.

Hi rl! Good to see you!

well - you do know that DS9 did have that Thomas episode right? It's just shame they didn't follow up with him from there. That's okay, this episode gave me plenty of fic fodder!

Troi made the right decision because she knew that Will was right, that Thomas would have made the same decisions...career over her. And she knew it. Thomas never called her did he? Big poopoo head. Oh well.

Great eppi!

as a riker fan, or more like a RFF! i would give this 7 3/4 LOL!!!

double the riker, my goodness, what were they trying to do to us women!! *THUDS*

i liked their confrontation, i liked the talk about their dad....even though i still hate kyle riker (grrrrr!!!!)

i am also a riker/troi fan, so i have to say that it was nice to see them together in some sorts.

but, the DS9 eppy made me want to cry. how hard could it have been for thomas in the cardasian prison. Yikes man!! i felt for him!!

it was an interesting twist that he was a maki though!!

did any of you riker lovers read the second imazadi book?? didn't they talk about what happened to thomas in the cardasian prison. i don't remember what they said, i read it in HS or college or something like that. i think it really screwed him up!! i wish i remembered.

all in all a good eppy!!

Edited by scifi!freak!

I couldn't bring myself to rad the second book because the frist one was so poorly written. (Don't get me wrong, I like R/T) but that boook was gawdawful.

I couldn't bring myself to rad the second book because the frist one was so poorly written. (Don't get me wrong, I like R/T) but that boook was gawdawful.

I'm reading, or rather, forcing myself to read it right now... the first one was awful indeed... and the second one ain't much better.

Tom Riker and Sela??? WTF??? FAIL.

Sigh. I'm glad that not even every R/T fan enjoys these... err... "books". *lol* (I know, I know, why am I bothering since I don't like R/T anyway? I don't know. *sigh* *lol*)

maybe it's part of the reason I wrote Retribution....*shrugs* I dunno.

maybe it's part of the reason I wrote Retribution....*shrugs* I dunno.

Ter, your stuff is about a million, no BILLION and more times better than those Imzadi books.

*hugs*

I liked this episode but it has too high an RQ (Riker Quotient) for my Dad to like it... he's not exactly a Riker fan, but then what does he know, he prefers Kirk to Picard ;):P

(J/K to all the Kirk fans out there)

Not really a fan of this episode... too much R/T for my taste. *massive cringe* But really, Troi deserves a bump on the head. She gets a second chance with a slightly different Riker who clearly likes her, and she just lets him leave. WTF. If she had gone with him, he wouldn't have messed up his life so much afterwards, methinks. But oh well. I'm no help whatsoever anyway when it comes to emotional stuff, so maybe I'm viewing this the wrong way...

But still, the fact remains that this episode isn't one of my favorites. :huh:

I'm surprised you said that.

If she had gone with him, I would have thought you would have said that she was giving up her career - or at least position - for a man. That's how I would have seen it.

Surprisingly enough, I don't mind this episode. I don't actually have a problem with Tom, he doesn't annoy me at all. Will on the other hand...remember how pompous he was when Tom went to Picard with a suggestion. He did go to Will first, but the idiot ignored him. Don't get angry because of your own stupidity!

^

Oh I always assumed she'd continue as ship's counselor on the Ghandi (a ship has more than one counselor I guess). If not, then of course it'd have been a rather BAD sexist!FAIL indeed. *nod nod*

I just looked at that one spoiler from back in May. Did you say Riker/Sela?! :dontgetit:

Pardon? I think something was in my eye and I didn't read that quite right. Sela does not strike me as the type that would...uh... That's just wrong and out of character for her!

Watching this one now. Well I've watched it several times and keep coming up with the same grumble. Is it just me or is Commander Riker a complete and utter prick towards his alter self?

I can appreciate that learning there's a second, identical Riker from his younger days running about the galaxy is a shock, but IMO he really goes over the top throughout this with his attitude towards him. :confused:

Watching this one now. Well I've watched it several times and keep coming up with the same grumble. Is it just me or is Commander Riker a complete and utter prick towards his alter self?

I can appreciate that learning there's a second, identical Riker from his younger days running about the galaxy is a shock, but IMO he really goes over the top throughout this with his attitude towards him. :confused:

He treats Ro in a similar way, which is one of the reasons why I dislike him.

I heard elsewhere on the net that it was Tom appearing that made someone realise Will had become so wrapped up around himself and had come far from where Tom was. Tom was a cooler character albeit a shame we never saw more of him.

Apart from the world of fan/fiction

This one is alright, though I can't help but think if what happened to Riker happened to me, I'd just me extra nice to my twin. Tom had been trapped on some strange planet all alone for 8 years, and he's expected to be adjusted to take orders and be on time and such just like he had never been away. 6 out of 10.

Watched that one recently. And I must say I'm disappointed that the production team didn't go ahead with killing Will Riker to replace him with a Ops Tom Riker (and a Data first officer! Source).

Some of the argument was with the fact that they were moving the TNG team to the big screen. That's too bad; If that episode could have been done a season or two earlier, it would have been great for storytelling and character development, and a nice challenge for Jonathan Frakes (On the subject, I remember reading that Ira Behr regretted not doing the new Dax host earlier than season 7).

Sign in to follow this