Sign in to follow this  
Virogen

Rate Star Trek (XI)

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Welcome to the OS, Sky! All opinions are wanted and welcome! I hope you like the forums!

I'm having quite the opposite reaction to tell you the truth. I liked the movie just fine when I first saw it. Laughed my ass off to tell you the truth. But the more I think about it...the more I hate the writing. The script just can't make amends with it's own awfulness.

And Mishi! I can say honestly, that there's a LOT of fanfic out there that is SO good I do think it's more Trek than this movie will ever be.

That is almost exactly what I am going through about the movie. I didn't fully like it at first, but a part of me did like it. The more I think about it, the more I cringe at the cliches in it.

I guess I should have worded that differently to say "I see it as someone's bad, b-rated fanfic" :laugh: There are some really great fanfics out there.

Seeing it mid-week for the second time has made me think a 5...either way it's hovering 5-6. I couldn't put my finger on what unsettled me after watching it but seeing Nimoy on screen still rocks though when he did the LL&P on the shuttle there was a cackle of laughter in the cinema.

This is my first post here. I just saw the movie and while i was very hesitant in doing so in some ways I am glad i did, but only to satisfy the curious nature I have. While I do recognize that this is an AU and we have been subjected to many in the previous 40+ yrs, I just cannot "get used" to it. Even before the timeline was messed us there were still some things I noticed that were "wrong". Like the delta shield being used a sa ship insignia for the Kelvin? According to TOS, didn't each ship have their own "shield"? Now all of a sudden, every ship uses the Delta shield? Sorry JJ got that one wrong. Kirk being born in space? No I think he was born in Iowa. Are we to believe that Kirk NEVER served on the Farragut with Capt. Garrovick? So now everything in TOS never really happened? That he goes from cadet to Captain in a few hours/days? What about that?

Now the McCoy character I liked. I liked him a lot. He had it nailed. Scotty? Seems they made him too funny. Still I did like him. Kirk? too much of a wimp. Bill Shatner made Kirk into a person that would not back down from a fight. This one seemed more like a 20 something punk that we see all too much these days. If they make another one, give some bigger balls. Uhura? Seemed to me like she was made too important. And it also felt that she was a slut or something. Maybe it was just me. Chekov? Now he hit it dead on. Spock? I did like the way he was portrayed. He did need though to have more issues with is human half and they did it in TOS. Still a good showing. Sulu? Not much to say because he did not get much voice time, or at least that is how I thought of it.

I mean the special effects were good and all, BUT this Trek was geared to make money and that is it, IMHO. A reboot? Why did we need a reboot of something that has lasted 40+ yrs? That would be like taking 4 young lads in 2009, and calling them the "new" Beatles. Just doesn't do it for me. That is the main reason I gave it a 5.

Like the delta shield being used a sa ship insignia for the Kelvin? According to TOS, didn't each ship have their own "shield"? Now all of a sudden, every ship uses the Delta shield? Sorry JJ got that one wrong. Kirk being born in space? No I think he was born in Iowa.

Only a few things about this :

1. Yes, but actually there were 5 shield designs that were under contest. All of them were the Delta- just the interior part of the Delta was different.

2. Yes, he was SUPPOSED to be born in Iowa....However, due to Nero, he wasn't - also- Kirks father was SUPPOSED to be alive...but he wasn't.

You can thank "alternate realities" for this.

But I do like the show. It brought a new generation a new look and attitude.

Yes, but actually there were 5 shield designs that were under contest. All of them were the Delta- just the interior part of the Delta was different.

Not sure what you mean by this... but Admiral Worf is right; in TOS each ship - the Constellation, Defiant, Intrepid, Exeter, Antares etc all had weird squiggles and things in place of the Enterprise's delta on the chest of the uniform. The designs inside were divisional logos - command was the star, sciences was the infinity/circly thing and engineering was the other circly thing (not making this easy, am I? Lol).

It's generally accepted the delta was adopted as the symbol for the entire Starfleet after Kirk's successful five year mission, but that certainly can't explain how it ended up on the Kelvin BEFORE the timeline was changed.

Unless it's an arbitrary symbol that just happened to get assigned to the Kelvin upon her launch? *shrug*

Edited by CentralPlexus

I thought it was Deltas for all Constitution class vessels and other logos for other ship classes (not that we really saw many)

Nope, Defiant, Exeter and Constellation all had different patches; see here and scroll down to Constitution class. There's pics.

Edited by CentralPlexus

Yeah he was a cadet before becoming Captain. It's not really believable, but that's what it is.

Vulcan... no idea why the sky was different.

re... Vulcan sky..... the writers said it was seasonal.

P'tak :furious:

Even Final Frontier (mentioned above somewhere) was better because they had the real crew,ship etc.

Gave this a 2 :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Only got that between the special effects and McCoy's line about the 'Damn ex wife taking the planet after the divorce'

You were a bit gracious, weren't you??

P'tak :furious:

Even Final Frontier (mentioned above somewhere) was better because they had the real crew,ship etc.

Gave this a 2 :thumbdown::thumbdown:

Only got that between the special effects and McCoy's line about the 'Damn ex wife taking the planet after the divorce'

You were a bit gracious, weren't you??

I call them like I see them ;)

I give it an 8.

It's not perfect, but there's no way to perfectly recreate TOS flawlessly, and of course you always have to go in expecting a piece of crap because otherwise you won't be impressed. The film was very enjoyable, with a lot of good previous film references to tie together an otherwise-AU story. A lot of the actors had the roles spot-on, and although the new Kirk reminded me very little of Shatner, I did enjoy the performance. The exploration of Spock's duality was something very needed, and the film managed to balance humor and action. Nero was a better villian than Trek's had for some time, IMO.

It's no Wrath of Khan but it's certainly an excellent installment in the franchise.

I gave it a 4. The actors were cool, most of the sets of were cool, it had a good pace and a nice mix of humor and action, but the plot is Swiss cheese. I can't think of a worst Trek movie plot.

Nero was a better villian than Trek's had for some time, IMO.

How so? What did he bring to the table for you?

It just wasn't a Trek for me. I mean, I was promised a prequel and instead I get a movie with writing that feels way too Fan Fiction and then have them telling me its a 'alternate dimension' brought on by time travel with no promise that the original time line is still alive and that will probably be brought back at some time, and the amount of inaccuracy in it is actually starting to bug me to the point I cannot sleep at night, (buts that's probably because I'm all worked up.)

I gave it a nine. I think that it was a movie meant to get more fans into the star trek fold. BUT they really didn't do too much for the fans that had already existed. Sure you could count the real spock appearance and other small things and quotes, ("Captain Kirk was a great man...but that was another life."). The reason I gave it a nine was that it held true to most of the ideals that star trek has, and I think it was a success in rebooting the franchise, (hopefully!)

got the DVD two days before it's UK release (gotta love pre-ordering and places that overcompensate for the speed of the mail) and watched it with my Dad the same day... I thought he'd hate it as he's a huge fan of Kirk and TOS over other Trek but he really liked it. Also met up with a few people yesterday and somehow we got talking about the movie while wandering around HMV, and it was almost (again, unexpectedly) unanimously loved by the group I was with.

Edited by DaxFanDS9

I love Trek XI and the original series what is wrong with liking the old and the newbiggrin.gifthumbup.gifthumbsup.gif

QFT!

I gave it a 9. I loved it sooo much, even though I was very skeptical at first, since I'm a dedicated TOS fan. I was pleasantly surprised, even though there were some things that I didn't like so much, and of course nothing can ever recapture the glory of TOS... though it did come pretty close. Nothing can ever be the same, so you have to just forget about the original. Once you accept the fact that it's not going to be the same, it's very enjoyable. I love their interpretation of it, and actually I'm kind of glad that it's a little different and fresh and new... otherwise it might have been stale. Anyway, I didn't give it a 10, because nothing is perfect. There were some disappointments, though very small. On the whole I thought it was great. :)

Every time I tell a fellow Star Trek fan that I like this movie and feel it's worthy of being counted among the other Star Trek movies, somebody gives me a dirty look and calls me a traitor. Excuse me for liking dramatic, cinematic representations of classic series that allow the next generation to "play in the 'verse," as a Firefly fan would put it! I don't understand why everyone's complaining about the lens glare and the shininess of it; it's called "modern cinematic videography technique" and some people take years of classes to get that good at it! So it's not done in a videographic style that's identical to the older movies and it totally rewrites the old timeline (without rendering it utterly obsolete, I might add!), so what? Some people like that! Some find it refreshing! AT LEAST LEONARD NIMOY WAS IN IT!

Edited by That Romulan Steel

Sorry, but as a long time fan, (was around for the original series), and loving all aspects of Trek, I have to admit, visually as well as acting, the new film was the best. That hurts to say as I don't cop out to most and say TWOK was the best, as I thought TUC was the best. I look forward to more Abramprise movies.

Sign in to follow this