Voyager

Who Mourns For Adonais?

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Who Mourns for Adonais?

TOS Season 2, Episode 2

WRITTEN BY

Gilbert Ralston

DIRECTED BY

Marc Daniels

First Aired Sep 22, 1967

Stardate 3468.1

the Enterprise crew are held captive by a powerful being who claims to be the ancient Greek God Apollo. The being demands the crew transfer down to the planet so they may worship him. Attempting to leave, Kirk soon discovers that he is the target of all the "God"s wrath and anger.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It happened in Space Seed with McGuivers and it happened here with Caroline.

Woman becomes infatuated with man from field that she studies and forgets all about her duty as a Starfleet officer and has to be reminded by Kirk. :thumbdown: The story about Apollo isn't that bad, so overall I'll give it a 6.

Because women are all weak and can never focus on their duty - especially not if a strong alpha male shows up, then they're all over him and duty be damned! Oh gotta HATE that sort of sexism TOS sometimes loved to spread... so, I'm definitely with you on this one, Voy. *lol*

However, this was the very first TOS episode that I saw, so, somehow, it holds a special place in my heart. I give it a 7. Apollo srsly needed the attitude adjustment Kirk gave him. :P

I'm amazed no one's mention Scotty playing Knight in Shining Armor. ::smirks:: Cursed in romance, he is. Cursed.

I liked his crush to begin with, but then I thought he got too whiny about it.

One thing about this episode was Uhrua doing something other than sitting at communications. It was great to see her do some kind of engineering/electrical work.

One thing about this episode was Uhrua doing something other than sitting at communications. It was great to see her do some kind of engineering/electrical work.

Hehe yes that scene totally rocks! It's weird somehow - on one hand they have Uhura fixing stuff in a "I know my engineering bsns" manner and on the other we get lame Apollo!Sexism. Fascinating. :vulcan:

I liked his crush to begin with, but then I thought he got too whiny about it.

I didn't see any whining. I saw a distinctive lack of common sense, and a very head-strong dope trying to be noble, but he never whined about it. He certainly didn't go, "Oh, woe is me!" He just was stupid in trying to go all knightish on Apollo.

The Greek gods were actually aliens from outerspace. Interesting

I'm amazed no one's mention Scotty playing Knight in Shining Armor. ::smirks:: Cursed in romance, he is. Cursed.

What got me was that he played the classic Red Shirt. He was always getting zapped by Apollo. I was thinking, "Even when they are senior officers, they will recieve the brunt of the attack.

:inlove: Yes, I absolutely loved that.

Edited by Abena

Loved Uhura, Caroline not so much. She did do the right thing in the end, but only due to Kirk's intervention.

The thing that bugs me most, however, is the misspelled Adonis. Just one a! :P

I love this episode, I'm against sexism, but when I look past that stuff I really do rate this episode high in terms of being fun. Also, Chekov's first episode I believe. He cracks me up everytime with his "And I'm the Tsar of all of Russia". I'll give it 8.

Edited by Dillkid

I like this story a lot, as it brings to mind the concept behind the Ancient Aliens series.  Agree totally with the similarity of Carolyn Palamas to Marla McGivers ("Space Seed")--strong male alpha types are definitely their undoing in the line of duty.   Yes, I love Chekov's "And I'm the Tsar of all of Russia!".  A great line for the ensign in his first episode!  Sadly, my man Scotty chose the wrong female to go nuts over, as he would have to wait until season three for the right woman to come along finally! :inlove:  It's interesting that James Doohan dated Leslie Parrish a couple of times, as he did Tanya Lamani (the bellydancer Kara of "Wolf in the Fold").

I found an interesting interview with Michael Forest "Apollo" on YouTube that I wanted to share.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZvipKq8890  Fascinating to see him over four decades later!  It was through this interview that I learned Michael returned to play an aging Apollo in the Star Trek Continues episode "Pilgrim of Eternity".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ  That's coming full circle!

I just remember my 11 or 12 year old self having a MONSTROUS crush on Leslie Parrish ("Carolyn Palamas"). 

WhoMournsForAdonais0394.jpg  :inlove:

Watching her now, her character is simply terrible; she's basically the bad guy's gang moll and sycophant, but when I was 12?  She could've poured sugar in my dad's gas tank and ripped up my school homework for birdcage liner and I would've forgiven her... :P :giggle:

SaveSave

I just remember my 11 or 12 year old self having a MONSTROUS crush on Leslie Parrish ("Carolyn Palamas"). 

WhoMournsForAdonais0394.jpg 

Watching her now, her character is simply terrible; she's basically the bad guy's gang moll and sycophant, but when I was 12?  She could've poured sugar in my dad's gas tank and ripped up my school homework for birdcage liner and I would've forgiven her... :P :giggle:

SaveSave

Now that's what I call a crush!  :inlove:  She is lovely.  I remember in his book James Doohan saying that a lot of sticky glue went into keeping her costume together! :giggle:

WhoMournsForAdonais0394.jpg 

SaveSave

Now that's what I call a crush!  :inlove:  She is lovely.  I remember in his book James Doohan saying that a lot of sticky glue went into keeping her costume together! :giggle:

Yeah, that Grecian gown of hers was a marvel of William Ware Theiss' engineering... :)