Voyager

Operation: Annihilate!

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Operation -- Annihilate!

TOS Season 1, Episode 29

WRITTEN BY

Steven W. Carabatsos

DIRECTED BY

Herschel Daugherty

First Aired Apr 13, 1967

Stardate 3287.2

Arriving at planet Deneva, the Enterprise crew discover the population has been devastated by large, amoeba-like aliens that attack humans and intertwine themselves with the body's nervous system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary: flying pancakes 'brainwash' the planet's inhabitants.

Gets an 8 from me. It loses are couple of points for these reasons

1. Why does no one call Kirk's nephew by his name? Don't they know it?

2. Why does the guy with the big key like object wait so long to attack Spock after he walks past the pillar?

3. McCoy, as a highly qualified doctor and Spock as a highly logical man, together should have had the common sense of finding out the results of the test before performing the experiment on a person.

LMAO @ summary!!! :laugh: I love the flying pancakes. They always make me hungry somehow.

As for the episode... yeah it does have a few flaws and overall it's not among my all-time favorites. I dunno, it's not that I think that the episode is bad, but really, I somehow don't find myself enjoying it very much... I do like the idea of flying pancakes creating zombies, though.

This episode gets a 7 from me.

Ah, them pancakes :giggle:

60's campy sci-fi at it's best here with it's shoe string effects.

Much like why I love the old Dr-Who :biggrin:

Personally, I always thought they looked like flying pizzas...and the horta looked like spaghetti and meatballs. Itz uh Star Trekkuh!

:angel_not:

Edited by Wolfguard

One of the gloomiest eps,especially that part where Spock goes blind. Otherwise, I liked the ending and the camaraderie amongst Spock,Kirk, and McCoy was awesome in this ep. I gave it a 10.

I thought that the parasites looked like Ravioli! Though, since we now know that Vulcans can shield their eyes like that, why do I see some Vulcan taking advantage of it... :giggle:

8,wouldnt spock had known about his secondary eyelid?.

it's the beauty of Trek.

Spock would've known about it but he wouldn't have felt the need to share it. Good thing T'Pol never had use of her secondary eyelids or that would've ruined continuity.

Good little episode, nice use of outside shooting, those flying things, the Kirk link (William Shatner as George Kirk) and the remastered edition sharpens it a little.

Pancakes? Pizza? Those things are slices of bacon! :P There's nothing really special about this episode, it's tarnished by the same annoying kid that plagues "Miri" & "And The Children Shall Lead", so naturally it's not going to be a groundbreaking episode. I think this should get a 4.

I'm having a hysterectomy on Friday -- and not the laparoscopic kind, either; I'm having the kind where they slice you from hipbone to hipbone -- and I wanted some inspiration towards serenity.  So naturally, as I have so many times before, I turned to Spock.

I was trying to figure out which episode would be especially inspiring for my particular circumstances and decided on this one; I just re-watched it tonight.  A lot of people seem to think that this episode is subpar, and perhaps it is in some ways, but for my purposes, it's perfect -- Spock is a BADASS in it!

He's a physical badass -- it takes four people to subdue him on the bridge when he tries to take over the ship.

He's a mental badass, using Vulcan mental control to rise above levels of pain that drive everyone else crazy.

He's a moral/ethical badass, calmly recommending his own death as the best way of saving the galaxy from the menace the creatures pose.

He's an emotional badass, handling sudden blindness with complete equanimity.

Geeze, Louise.  With inspiration like that, what's one little hysterectomy? :P

Thanks, Spock!  You've always been there for me when I've needed you.  It's completely logical that I love you to pieces. ;)

I'm having a hysterectomy on Friday -- and not the laparoscopic kind, either; I'm having the kind where they slice you from hipbone to hipbone -- and I wanted some inspiration towards serenity.  So naturally, as I have so many times before, I turned to Spock.

I was trying to figure out which episode would be especially inspiring for my particular circumstances and decided on this one; I just re-watched it tonight.  A lot of people seem to think that this episode is subpar, and perhaps it is in some ways, but for my purposes, it's perfect -- Spock is a BADASS in it!

He's a physical badass -- it takes four people to subdue him on the bridge when he tries to take over the ship.

He's a mental badass, using Vulcan mental control to rise above levels of pain that drive everyone else crazy.

He's a moral/ethical badass, calmly recommending his own death as the best way of saving the galaxy from the menace the creatures pose.

Thanks, Spock!  You've always been there for me when I've needed you.  It's completely logical that I love you to pieces. ;)

Oh, sorry to hear about the ... what's the right word? Inconvenience sounds too harmless, challenge is weird in this context too, test or ordeal perhaps is too dramatic ... anyway, I wish you all the best and may you leave this experience in a better situation than before! All the best for your health, your nerves and your soul!

Spock indeed is an amazing inspiration! As you state it now, I realize why I always loved this episode. Spock indeed is a badass! :thumbup:

Never felt the episode is subpar. On the contrary, it's Star Trek's version of the body snatcher/evil alien parasites theme, and pretty good at it, IMO. And yes, Spock. Really a great Spock episode. :)

Edited by Sim

My wife underwent one a few years ago (the heavy surgery kind as well).   Here's wishing you all the success with yours that she had with hers.  All the best, my dear.  

And yes, Spock is a TOTAL badass.  I remember (in high school) undergoing an appendectomy the same year I saw TWOK in theatres.  I drew a LOT of inspiration from Spock's stoicism and perseverance.   I had a minor postoperative infection and had to stay a few days in hospital (which sucked; I had to miss Halloween, my favorite holiday!).   My best friend came to visit me and brought me a cassette tape of TWOK's soundtrack.  So help me, hearing Horner's score and imagining myself being as brave as Spock truly sped up my recovery.   I think you've got the right prescription there, Dr. Corylea! ;)

Again, ALL THE BEST to you!  Hope your recovery is swift and the pain ("a thing of the mind...") is as minimal as possible.  

All the best from Trekcore/Omega Sector! 

Thanks, Sim and Sehlat!  I appreciate your good wishes tremendously.  I also appreciate having some company in squeeing over Spock. :) 

I can't speak for the Germans, but American culture seems to admire physical strength more than intellectual or moral strength, which I find strange and wrong-headed.  When I was a child, it was Spock's intellectual strength that appealed to me, but once I because an adult, I appreciated Spock's moral/ethical strength most of all.  Watching him calmly recommend his own death in order to save the galaxy from the threat the creatures pose ... I could probably watch that every day and not tire of it. ;)

Sorry to hear that you had a difficult appendectomy, Sehlat, but I'm glad to hear that Spock was there for you, as he's been for so many of us.  And what a great best friend, to know what you needed and to bring it to you!

I can't imagine how many stories like yours and mine Leonard Nimoy must have heard over the years.  It's clear from a reading of his autobiography that portraying Spock was very difficult for Mr. Nimoy, because restraining his emotions to that extent was really hard on him.  I'm glad that he got to hear so many stories like yours and mine, to know just how many lives he'd touched and just how much strength we'd drawn from his alter ego.

There are SO many things I like about Star Trek besides Spock -- I'm not one of those people who likes Spock but who doesn't care about the science fiction or the social commentary or the other characters -- but any list of what I like about Star Trek will always start with Spock. :inlove: