Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Tomorrow is Yesterday

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Tomorrow is Yesterday

TOS Season 1, Episode 19

WRITTEN BY

D.C. Fontana

DIRECTED BY

Michael O'Herlihy

First Aired Jan 26, 1967

Stardate 3113.2

When the U.S.S. Enterprise is thrown into a time warp, it ends up orbiting Earth in the 20th century. However when the Enterprise accidentally destroys a fighter plane, Kirk must think up a plan to return it's captain to Earth without being discovered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spock seemed to make quite a few errors in this episode:

1. Let Kirk tell Christopher all about them before informing him that through doing so he can't send Christopher home

2. Not take in to account the off spring of Christopher

3. Beam up a second man from Earth

I think it was fair to say he was having a bad day.

Otherwise, fairly good episode, I give it a seven.

My favorite parts?

"Oh, no, I don't believe in little green men."

*Spock steps in* "Neither do I."

:thumbup:

"What's that you're wearing, some kind of uniform?"

"What, this? Oh, just a little something I slipped on...."

It really ain't one of Spock's finest moments episodes, I noticed that as well, Voyager! :laugh:

I really always enjoy watching this one, though. I love the solution in the end. Giving this episode a 7. :thumbsup2:

An amusing run-in with a confused Air Force fighter pilot makes for fun viewing.

One of the better time-travel episodes. They were very careful not to say the exact date, but I thought it was funny that the radio broadcast they heard mentioned the first moon landing. The Apollo program was well under way when the episode was shot, but Armstrong's small step was still a few years away.

Edited by maneth

This is a really good episode, there was some really funny Kirk dialogue in this. I don't really understand how they traveled through time, but oh well. It deserves a 7.

This is an example of how TOS would use humor and character interplay to get out of logistical tight spots; such as the VERY (excuse the pun) illogical premise. The idea of 'beaming' the two Christophers and air sergeants together is not only ridiculous; it doesn't really solve the problem. If they returned him before they appeared, why would Capt. Christopher be in a jet pursuing them? Ditto the air police sergeant; how could they 're-beam' him like that?! Wouldn't he have double the mass as before?!? And wouldn't he STILL have a memory of being beamed in the first place? But no matter...

This episode still rates a seven because it (like "The Voyage Home") is just so much damn fun!

Silly, and without any shred of time travel paradoxical logic, but fun nevertheless. I love the interplay between Spock and McCoy in this one; this seemed to be one of the first episodes where it kind of seemed to flow more naturally than before. And when Kirk suggests to McCoy that he's beginning to sound like Spock, he deadpans, "If you're gonna get nasty, I'm gonna leave." And It only got better from there on. And Kirk's 'relationship' with the feminine voiced (and personality) computer is a bit sexist, but silly fun. Mind you, this was made in the "Mad Men" era.... not an excuse, just a reiteration. ;)

The time warp towards the sun (aka the 'slingshot') was first done here as well (although I REALLY recommend watching only the remastered version of this episode, because the slingshot maneuver actually makes visual sense and actually fits with what we saw in "The Voyage Home"; in the original episode, you just see the camera badly shaking over stock shots of the ship ... watch the remastered version, trust me!). Later repeated in the similarly tongue in cheek time travel episodes, "Assignment: Earth" and (the aforementioned) "Voyage Home." And lastly, credit goes to Roger Perry; his Captain Christopher is an apt, late-20th century audience 'surrogate' when he is brought aboard the Enterprise. And his reaction to the 'little green man' Spock is very subtle and humorous. This was 1966-era 'fan service'; having a 'modern guy' beam aboard and look around for a bit; who wouldn't have wanted to do that ?!? And he does so with appropriate awe and more than a bit of reservation, too (especially when he thinks they want to keep him on ice indefinitely).

Again, for major flaws in story, concept and logic, I take a few points down. If the timey-wimey stuff had been just a bit better thought out (Doctor Who was doing very clever time travel stories at the same time in the UK), this would've (easily) been a 9 or a 10.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I'm curious why Kirk tells Capt. Christopher their authority is the United Earth Probe Agency instead of Starfleet Command or The United Federation of Planets. First mention of UEPA I recall.  Any thoughts on this? 

I'm curious why Kirk tells Capt. Christopher their authority is the United Earth Probe Agency instead of Starfleet Command or The United Federation of Planets. First mention of UEPA I recall.  Any thoughts on this? 

He refers to EUSPA headquarters in "Charlie X" too; yet at the end of "Tomorrow is Yesterday" the voice that announces the Enterprise's reentry into the 23rd century says, "Starfleet Control."   I'm guessing there was a change in story drafts and the error wasn't corrected (?).  

Sign in to follow this