Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Voyager

Balance of Terror

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 posts in this topic

Here is my podcast about this episode: http://www.justinscottsnead.com/st01-009-balance-of-terror/

Highlights from my discussion: this classic is good but by no means perfect

If you read the memos in These are the Voyages, Roddenberry explains why NOT to use technobabble and HOW to avoid it. Interesting since this is a typical space battle show that became so common later, esp. VOY, and those later episodes seemed to always have a deus ex machina technobable solution that was anathema on TOS. 

More world building: still no mention of Starfleet or a Federation in the series up to this point. 

More on Kirk’s inner conflict and how it explains his deep friendship with Spock

Oh, and we get one of the best alien species introductions in all of Star Trek: the Romulans. So much detail about their culture packed into a few scenes. 

Gene Coon made Starfleet and the Federation what they are more than Roddenberry.

6 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Gene Coon made Starfleet and the Federation what they are more than Roddenberry.

He also created the Klingons, though Roddenberry named them after a former partner of his (from his LAPD days) named Clingan, IIRC.

2 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

He also created the Klingons, though Roddenberry named them after a former partner of his (from his LAPD days) named Clingan, IIRC.

Yup. And without Coon Picard might still have worked for UESPA.

1 hour ago, prometheus59650 said:

Yup. And without Coon Picard might still have worked for UESPA.

Sounds like a California health club, doesn’t it?  :giggle:

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

Sounds like a California health club, doesn’t it?  :giggle:

You're the California hippie, you tell me. :P

5 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

You're the California hippie, you tell me. :P

Far out, man...:P

Posted (edited)

On 7/6/2017 at 2:00 PM, prometheus59650 said:

Im excited to get to the episode where these are introduced. I'm up to Conscience of the King and Kirk makes a reference to the Star Service. 

Im curious to know WHY they are introduced. Clearly, adding details about the organization that launched the Enterprise was not seen as important or necessary early in the series. And they were right--exposition about the Federation would have added nothing to those early stories. But eventually the producers must have found the need to have a common understanding of the command structure.   

Edited by Justin Snead

52 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

Im excited to get to the episode where these are introduced. I'm up to Conscience of the King and Kirk makes a reference to the Star Service. 

Im curious to know WHY they are introduced. Clearly, adding details about the organization that launched the Enterprise was not seen as important or necessary early in the series. And they were right--exposition about the Federation would have added nothing to those early stories. But eventually the producers must have found the need to have a common understanding of the command structure.   

My two cents is simply because in the first season they didn't see it as important. I think Coon realized that things like UESPA and the "star service" are clunky and, dare I say, uninspiring Fleshing out Starfleet and the Federation would have just made the universe more cohesive and easier to write for.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0