Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

The Menagerie

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Voyager   

The Menagerie, Part I

TOS Season 1, Episode 11

WRITTEN BY

Gene Roddenberry

DIRECTED BY

Marc Daniels

First Aired Nov 17, 1966

Stardate 3012.4

The crew meet the Enterprise's former commander, Captain Pike at Starbase 11 only to find he has been severely crippled by radiation burns. Spock inexplicably kidnaps Pike and takes control of the Enterprise, locking it into a course for the quarantined planet Talos IV.

The Menagerie, Part II

TOS Season 1, Episode 12

WRITTEN BY

Gene Roddenberry

DIRECTED BY

Marc Daniels

First Aired Nov 24, 1966

Stardate 3013.1

Kirk and Commodore Mendez are forced to court martial Spock for his actions but soon discover the enigmatic Talosians, first encountered by Captain Pike years earlier, have once again been making their presence felt.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super episode :thumbsup2: , I give it a ten. It is a shame that there weren't more two-parters.

Pike Pike Pike Piiiiiiike!!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Episode gets a 9, of course! (As I said, 10 is for TNG only.) I love how they managed to work "The Cage" into the episode. :thumbsup2: And Chris Pike is my second-favorite captain ever, so, yay. :thumbsup2:

One of many TOS episodes I've yet to have seen :(

I've read what's gone on though, sounds a good story and nice to see The Cage being linked to this ensuring it'll never fade into obscurity.

Goei   

An excellent ep. I admired the loyalty that existed between Spock and Pike. :thumbsup2:

maneth   

Great ep, and I loved that they managed to rework The Cage into this. Still, the abilities of the Talosians are really frightening, if they managed to convince Kirk that the admiral was there from however many light-years away (he was never on the shuttle in the first place).

Dillkid   

I'm going to move against the wind, and say that I didn't think much of this episode. I love the sets that they used in "The Cage". They look really expensive, but probably weren't, I'm glad they got to show them off. The make up for the injured Pike and the Talosians looked wonderful as well. But I'm not much of a fan of the actual story. I'll just give it a 5.

It's not among my favorites but a good episode nevertheless.  Seeing it on BBC America again last night reminded me to look at the posts on this episode to see if anyone else had ever questioned this.  Commodore Mendez informs Kirk of the space chatter that had been going on for months as to what had happened to Capt. Pike.  Kirk is unaware of the accident which, as a Starfleet commanding officer, seems very odd.  Like he wouldn't be in the know about something significant that had happened to another captain and one who was also the former commander of the Enterprise?  Clearly Spock had learned of it which had given him sufficient time to plan the entire abduction of Pike.  The main thing I don't understand is how with Talos IV being a forbidden planet did Spock make contact with the Talosians to inform them of Pike's condition?  Another thing....Kirk points out that record tapes didn't exist in the kind of detail that were shown in the court martial, and afterwards we learn the Talosians were sending the images.   With the Talosians power I can understand how they were able to see into the mind of Pike and know the events that had transpired prior to his arrival on the planet, but how would they have been able to capture that in a format that could be transmitted to Enterprise? Further, the images stop when Pike falls asleep at one point during the trial as the Talosians are somehow aware the captain is tired.  Don't forget...the ship is still a long way from the planet.  If the Talosians are that powerful, holy s-h-i-t......It's a wonder the entire Federation wasn't at risk.

For those who might not know, actor Sean Kenney who played crippled Capt. Pike also played Lt. DePaul in "Arena" and "A Taste of Armageddon".  My final observation? The Talosians' heads look like butts with varicose veins. :giggle:

themenageriepart2hd078.jpg

It's not among my favorites but a good episode nevertheless.  Seeing it on BBC America again last night reminded me to look at the posts on this episode to see if anyone else had ever questioned this.  Commodore Mendez informs Kirk of the space chatter that had been going on for months as to what had happened to Capt. Pike.  Kirk is unaware of the accident which, as a Starfleet commanding officer, seems very odd.  Like he wouldn't be in the know about something significant that had happened to another captain and one who was also the former commander of the Enterprise?  Clearly Spock had learned of it which had given him sufficient time to plan the entire abduction of Pike.  The main thing I don't understand is how with Talos IV being a forbidden planet did Spock make contact with the Talosians to inform them of Pike's condition?  Another thing....Kirk points out that record tapes didn't exist in the kind of detail that were shown in the court martial, and afterwards we learn the Talosians were sending the images.   With the Talosians power I can understand how they were able to see into the mind of Pike and know the events that had transpired prior to his arrival on the planet, but how would they have been able to capture that in a format that could be transmitted to Enterprise? Further, the images stop when Pike falls asleep at one point during the trial as the Talosians are somehow aware the captain is tired.  Don't forget...the ship is still a long way from the planet.  If the Talosians are that powerful, holy s-h-i-t......It's a wonder the entire Federation wasn't at risk.

For those who might not know, actor Sean Kenney who played crippled Capt. Pike also played Lt. DePaul in "Arena" and "A Taste of Armageddon".  My final observation? The Talosians' heads look like butts with varicose veins. :giggle:

themenageriepart2hd078.jpg

raw :P

2 hours ago, Justin Snead said:

Has there been any novels or comics that explored Pike on Talos IV post-Menagerie? 

“Burning Dreams” by Margaret Wander Bonanno.   It chronicles Pike’s entire life.  And while it doesn’t chronicle him on Talos IV after Menagerie, it does relate Pike’s (considerable) influence on the planet over his time spent there (the story begins in the 24th century).  

Well worth a look...

Off topic beyond "books," but I'd love to see a book involving the Romulan commander from Balance of Terror. I think there's some potential there to look at how he might be like Kirk as even he implied...and not.

As for the episode, I actually like it quite a bit. It's an ingenious use of a pilot that otherwise would never have left the vault.

32 minutes ago, prometheus59650 said:

Off topic beyond "books," but I'd love to see a book involving the Romulan commander from Balance of Terror. I think there's some potential there to look at how he might be like Kirk as even he implied...and not.

As for the episode, I actually like it quite a bit. It's an ingenious use of a pilot that otherwise would never have left the vault.

Agreed.

“The Menagerie" is about the wisest use of an otherwise unusable pilot I can think of.

Sign in to follow this