Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Miri

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Miri

TOS Season 1, Episode 8

WRITTEN BY

Adrian Spies

DIRECTED BY

Vincent McEveety

First Aired Oct 27, 1966

Stardate 2713.5

Responding to an ancient distress call, the Enterprise discovers a group of abandoned children on the surface of a planet which exactly duplicates 1960s Earth. Dr. McCoy soon realises that all the adults have been wiped out by a deadly disease - a disease which soon makes it way to the unsuspecting landing party.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The one thing that really bugs me about this is that the planet is an Earth duplicate. This is never explained or even theorized. There is a story here, but it does not belong to this episode. There could have been an episode entirely about there being a planet just like Earth and how that came to be and then have the planet Miri is on as one that is completely different.

Other than this, I actually quite like the episode. The Kirk/Miri thing really irritated me, but I enjoyed the story. I would have given it a 7, possibly and 8, but because of the Earth thing, it gets demoted to a 6.

Yeah, it bugs me as well. They encounter a duplicate Earth and never bother to investigate. Sure, they're busy with these kids and all, but hey, it wouldn't have hurt to include some sort of explanation somewhere in the plot IMO.

The Kirk/Miri thingy creeps me out somehow. o_O And the kids really irritate me. Aaah, no. I give this episode a 4. I REALLY don't like these kids. *backs away*

I'm terrible. I've seen every episode umpteenth times, but I've long since stopped paying close attention if there's not a good dose of Scott in it.

Yeah, it bugs me as well. They encounter a duplicate Earth and never bother to investigate. Sure, they're busy with these kids and all, but hey, it wouldn't have hurt to include some sort of explanation somewhere in the plot IMO.

The Kirk/Miri thingy creeps me out somehow. o_O And the kids really irritate me. Aaah, no. I give this episode a 4. I REALLY don't like these kids. *backs away*

I knew you wouldn't like this episode lol

In Real Life I loath kids, but for some reason, when they're on tv, I like them, it's really weird. Maybe its because I don't actually have to interact or be near them. They can do what they want and I'm at a safe distance.

Hehe, more child haters :thumbsup2:

I'm not that keen on this episode, but I think it's because whenever I saw repeats of TOS half the time it seemed to be this episode so I got really sick of it - lol. The children creep me out too and I don't like cheapy Earth like episodes either. Always seems a swizz in scifi to me.

Well, I'm not a child hater. Obviously, as I have two. But these children were particularly annoying, in this episode.

Still, not quite getting how outright hate of children (since we've all been them) is okay, either. Gonna guess it's probably just one of those word choice things.

Still, not quite getting how outright hate of children (since we've all been them) is okay, either. Gonna guess it's probably just one of those word choice things.

Ah, a subject best left to the Kobayashi Maru forum I think. ;)

Ah, a subject best left to the Kobayashi Maru forum I think. ;)

Oh, probably. But I wasn't the one who said it in an open forum.

Well, I wasn't meaning to start a debate, just remarking on the fact there were others who disliked children too. Strange as it may seem not everyone likes kids.

Not a very good ep. That annoying "Bonk,bonk on the head" kid should be sent to military school ASAP.

Kirk/Miri creeped me out to be honest. That sort of flirting with a pre-pubescent (if only barely) kid? *tsk, tsk* The rest of the kids were annoying, but no worse than some you meet who obviously rule in their household. I'm certain most teachers know kids like that.

I hated those kids! For some reason in TOS they are always so obnoxious that you wanna... uuh well, but I liked the rest of the episode, McCoy trying desperately to find a cure, tension among the crew.

I LOATHE those children. That view certainly reflects my opinion of this episode as well, it starts off good, but then we get the nursery rhymes. So many frickin' nursery rhymes :furious: Anyway, I give it a 1.

I can't believe I'm actually typing this but I've actually come to LIKE this episode these days, haha. (The brats are definitely annoying, though. No doubt.) I guess it's because of the whole underlying darkness in this one. Y'know... you have children who have been children for hundreds of years and the oldest children are struck by a plague when they slooowly enter puberty. WHAT EVEN IS THIS IDEA. I also like the whole "failed planet" thing. (What I find highly WTF is the whole 'an exact duplicate of Earth' idea.)

I have MASSIVE issues with the whole Miri and Kirk thing. She is what, 14? When do teenagers enter puberty? 13? 14? 12? And Kirk tells her she is a pretty young woman and gives her these creepy love-faces. WHAT. This just creeps me out. BIG TIME. I know no one really thought anything of it back then but SERIOUSLY. WHAT.

Basically, I actually like the underlying general idea of this episode, although I do think they could have done without all the stupid singing and that ridiculous attack on Kirk. (Y'know, when he carries Louise on his back, lololol. It's unintentionally hilarious, but that's all.) And, of course, without the creepiness going on between Kirk and Miri.

Also, can we talk about how useless and shallow Rand is. She isn't worried about the disease, NO, SHE IS WORRIED ABOUT HER BEAUTY. *massive facepalm* I know TOS fails horribly in this regard at all times, but it's particularly annoying in this case. I understand Miri's feelings, I always want to get rid of Rand, too. lol Also, the glares she shoots at Spock when Kirk talks to him. HAHAHAHA.

Speaking of slash, we MUST mention the whole scene in which Kirk sees Bones lying on the floor. THE LOOK OF UTTER HORROR ON HIS FACE. BECAUSE 'OMG MY BELOVED BONES'.

So... I actually enjoy this episode until the brats begin to sing and dance, but meh, I can always skip it. They're not nearly as annoying as the ones in "And The Children Shall Lead", after all. I actually give this episode an 8/10. Because, for some reason, I have grown to like most of it. MOST of it.

The favorite quote of the moment award for this episode goes to Kirk for his "NO BLAH BLAH BLAH!" scream. Overacting at its finest, hahaha.

I can't believe I'm actually typing this but I've actually come to LIKE this episode these days, haha. (The brats are definitely annoying, though. No doubt.) I guess it's because of the whole underlying darkness in this one. Y'know... you have children who have been children for hundreds of years and the oldest children are struck by a plague when they slooowly enter puberty. WHAT EVEN IS THIS IDEA. I also like the whole "failed planet" thing. (What I find highly WTF is the whole 'an exact duplicate of Earth' idea.)

I have MASSIVE issues with the whole Miri and Kirk thing. She is what, 14? When do teenagers enter puberty? 13? 14? 12? And Kirk tells her she is a pretty young woman and gives her these creepy love-faces. WHAT. This just creeps me out. BIG TIME. I know no one really thought anything of it back then but SERIOUSLY. WHAT.

Basically, I actually like the underlying general idea of this episode, although I do think they could have done without all the stupid singing and that ridiculous attack on Kirk. (Y'know, when he carries Louise on his back, lololol. It's unintentionally hilarious, but that's all.) And, of course, without the creepiness going on between Kirk and Miri.

Also, can we talk about how useless and shallow Rand is. She isn't worried about the disease, NO, SHE IS WORRIED ABOUT HER BEAUTY. *massive facepalm* I know TOS fails horribly in this regard at all times, but it's particularly annoying in this case. I understand Miri's feelings, I always want to get rid of Rand, too. lol Also, the glares she shoots at Spock when Kirk talks to him. HAHAHAHA.

Speaking of slash, we MUST mention the whole scene in which Kirk sees Bones lying on the floor. THE LOOK OF UTTER HORROR ON HIS FACE. BECAUSE 'OMG MY BELOVED BONES'.

So... I actually enjoy this episode until the brats begin to sing and dance, but meh, I can always skip it. They're not nearly as annoying as the ones in "And The Children Shall Lead", after all. I actually give this episode an 8/10. Because, for some reason, I have grown to like most of it. MOST of it.

The favorite quote of the moment award for this episode goes to Kirk for his "NO BLAH BLAH BLAH!" scream. Overacting at its finest, hahaha.

I'm not a huge fan of this one.

I give it a 6.

Yes, Kirk's flirting with Miri is beyond creepy. It's next door to pedophilia, really. The leader, Jan (played by "Bonnie and Clyde" 's Michael J Pollard) looks about 29. A mite old to be leading kids, IMO.

The idea of Peter Pan-like immortality through genetic engineering is kind of interesting (as are the "I Am Legend"-ish results), but overall this one is one of those episodes that I used to just 'wade through' to get to a better one.

The kids are obnoxious enough to make one want to sign up for voluntarily sterilization.

Yeah I never bought that the guy who leads the kids is actually younger than Miri (he must've been, otherwise he'd have been showing syptoms of the disease as well)... that one really isn't convincing.

And yeah, that whole Kirk/Miri thing is SERIOUSLY WTF. I mean we NEVER hear him say "Miri, I'm 35 years old, you're barely 13 or 14, don't you think this is a bit odd" or anything. I mean I'm the last person to say that a 14-year-old can't have a crush on an older man (you don't want to know the crushes I had when I was that age) but a CRUSH is all that it should be, but Kirk actually almost encouraged things and... yuuuuuuck, what IS going on. They never really learned anything when it comes to that corner, though, what with Wesley and the Traveler and his van. Srsly, Trek, wtf.

Yeah I never bought that the guy who leads the kids is actually younger than Miri (he must've been, otherwise he'd have been showing syptoms of the disease as well)... that one really isn't convincing.

Well, you know that boys tend to mature later than girls, right?

Anyway, this is one of my least-favourite TOS episodes. Dreadfully boring, dull, excruciating slow, and painfully obvious from start to finish. With loads of annoying brats for good measure. Hardly any scenes on the Enterprise; it could be an episode of any 60's TV series really. And as pointed out above, Kirk's flirtation with the young girl is just wrong.

And yeah, that whole Kirk/Miri thing is SERIOUSLY WTF. I mean we NEVER hear him say "Miri, I'm 35 years old, you're barely 13 or 14, don't you think this is a bit odd" or anything. I mean I'm the last person to say that a 14-year-old can't have a crush on an older man (you don't want to know the crushes I had when I was that age).

Tell me about it! When I was 14 I had a crush on a woman who was 42! No kidding..... luckily (for both of us) it remained an unrequited crush, or we'd have been a TV-movie on Lifetime network by now. :laugh:

The kids were quite annoying, though I liked the rest of it.

"No more blah blah blah!!"

Priceless. :giggle:/>

It does actually give McCoy a good moment and I liked the crew working the problem.

But, while I generally find spanking unproductive, I would have given it a try.

I hate MIRI. And this from the guy who loves STAR TREK V and GENERATIONS with a passion. The kids were annoying, Shatner's daughters were annoying, Kim Darby was annoying, set design was annoying and I have had enough of the pararell Earth concept at this time. Even Shatner and Nimoy gave so-so performances.

And this from the guy who loves STAR TREK V......

Sorry, Bill and Leonard..............

1545660_742851245733006_136629212_n.jpg

Good morning,

Gus

Sign in to follow this