Voyager

The Enemy Within

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

208 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

The Enemy Within

TOS Season 1, Episode 5

WRITTEN BY

Richard Matheson

DIRECTED BY

Leo Penn

First Aired Oct 6, 1966

Stardate 1672.1

A transporter accident splits Kirk into two separate beings - one good, one evil. Whilst the evil half of the Captain runs riot on the ship committing violent acts, the good Kirk is weakening and finds himself unable to make command decisions. Scotty has a solution in mind, but there's no guarantee the Captain will survive.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The horned dog was cute in this.

A couple of things that I didn't get though. One why did Spock warn Kirk not to tell the crew. Surely more faith would be lost in the Captain if they saw him behaving so oddly than if they knew that an 'imposter' Kirk was doing these things?

Second, why didn't they just get Sulu and the rest of the away team back to the ship with a shuttle? Maybe I missed something at the beginning, was there atmospheric problems so that they couldn't fly a shuttle down?

sure it has easily mocked moments ("I'm Captain Kirk!") but...I like it.

The thingy with the shuttle is something I don't get either, Voyager. The off-screen explanation is that they simply didn't have a shuttle set yet. As far as I remember, no on-screen explanation was given why they couldn't simply send a shuttle. (Or I missed it as well.)

As for the episode - I like the dog creature, too! It's so cute! I want one! (A peaceful one, though! *lol*) I also like the idea of how the two Kirks cannot exist without each other. *nod* So, this episode definitely gets an 8 from me.

^ The first time I saw this episode, I didn't actually question the fact that there was no shuttle - probably because I hadn't seen episodes with the shuttle at that point - but now it really bugs me.

Another thing I wondered about was how Enterprise tried to help the away team. They transported down thermal heaters, but they duplicated and wouldn't work. How about sending down wooly mittens and warm clothes? If they duplicate, you've just got more clothing to keep you warm.

I think would have been nice to see more of Sulu down on the planet, maybe interacting with the rest of the away team (would have been even better if there was another main/recurring character down their with him). Maybe they could have shown the away team looking for a shelter in a cave or something. There was clearly a B plot here that was not explored and I think would have worked better if it was.

I think would have been nice to see more of Sulu down on the planet, maybe interacting with the rest of the away team (would have been even better if there was another main/recurring character down their with him). Maybe they could have shown the away team looking for a shelter in a cave or something. There was clearly a B plot here that was not explored and I think would have worked better if it was.

Yup, true. I also would have liked to see more of Sulu. The problem with that, however, would have been that there would have had to have been less Kirk and more someone else - something TOS didn't really like to do most of the time. ;) Okay, there are episodes in which Kirk plays only a smaller part, but in an episode that is supposed to deal with two captains, one good, one evil, they probably didn't want to drag everyone's attention away from the two Kirks. At least that's my guess as to why there were so few Sulu scenes. If Kirk and Spock had been down there with Sulu, we would have gotten an entire episode about them looking for a cave, being frustrated about non-working heaters and all. ;)

Yup, true. I also would have liked to see more of Sulu. The problem with that, however, would have been that there would have had to have been less Kirk and more someone else - something TOS didn't really like to do most of the time. ;) Okay, there are episodes in which Kirk plays only a smaller part, but in an episode that is supposed to deal with two captains, one good, one evil, they probably didn't want to drag everyone's attention away from the two Kirks. At least that's my guess as to why there were so few Sulu scenes. If Kirk and Spock had been down there with Sulu, we would have gotten an entire episode about them looking for a cave, being frustrated about non-working heaters and all. ;)

That would have worked for me lol. But yes, your right, they didn't like to stray away from Kirk being the centre of attention.

Just finished re-watching this one... and I have to say, this is one of those episodes I get more and more indifferent towards the more often I see it. Now, don't get me wrong, it is the Kirk episode, I know, it defines his character in ways other episodes can't even begin to, but... well, he isn't one of my favorite characters (in fact, I like pretty much the entire senior staff better than him, except Chekov maybe)... and therefore I just can't seem to get myself to care too much. But it is an interesting episode, no doubt, especially for Kirk fans.

Now. The general plot. Interesting enough although I HAVE to scream about this EVERY damn time: SEND A SHUTTLECRAFT to the planet! That's what they're here for!

A random observation: THAT UNICORN SPACE DOG IS ADORABLE!

Also, the slash is strong in this one. (Also, can we talk about how Evil!Kirk wears twice as much eyeliner as Good!Kirk? Eyeliner is evil, apparently.) Eyeliner!Kirk checks out that transporter technician dude from top to bottom, then he rushes into sickbay and almost kisses McCoy. (I really always expect him to kiss Bones right there and be like "FORGET ABOUT THE BRANDY")

Good!Kirk isn't much better, though - he stands there, shirtless, and Spock walks in, admires shirtless!Kirk for more than just a second and asks "Is there something I can do for you, Captain?" and Kirk replies "Like what?" *hrrrrrrrr* Not sure if NC-17 rated gay movie or TOS episode

So, like I said, this episode IS a good one if you're a Kirk fan. Which I'm not. I give this a 5/10. Honestly, it just doesn't make me care that much. But the slash is good, so... haha. Also, Kirk/Kirk, anyone

The favorite quote of the moment award goes to Eyeliner!Kirk for his "I AM CAPTAIN KIRK!" over-acting outburst. Hahahaha

One of the best episodes and a Matheson one to boot. Though another Star Trek episode I might not be able to watch the same way again though.

Spock's sexist joke and perving leer at Rand at the end creeps me out to insane levels..

Edited by prometheus59650

Spock's sexist joke and perving leer at Rand at the end creeps me out to insane levels..

Yup... another reason for me not giving this one the best rating. That remark about Evil!Kirk having "some interesting qualities" or something is SERIOUSLY WTF, 60s or not. He almost RAPED Rand, ffs. And the fact that it comes from SPOCK... I have no words.

I just watched this episode again last night, and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the exchange that Kirk and Spock have towards the end of the episode.

Both Kirks are on the transporter pad, and Spock is at the controls, with McCoy standing nearby. They're about to use the transporter to try to reintegrate Kirk, but they don't know if it will work.

Kirk: Mr. Spock.

Spock: Captain?

Kirk: If this doesn't work...

Spock: Understood, Captain.

Huh? Well, *I* don't understand! WHAT is understood? I mean, I could think of a half a dozen possibilities:

1. If this doesn't work, it was nice working with you.

2. If this doesn't work, take care of my ship.

3. If this doesn't work, remember that you're the one who talked me into this.

4. If this doesn't work, don't feel guilty for being the one who talked me into this.

5. If this doesn't work, don't let McCoy lambaste you too badly for talking me into this.

6. If this doesn't work, do your best to save the landing party on the planet.

If this doesn't work, WHAT?!

What do YOU think Kirk meant?

I just watched this episode again last night, and I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on the exchange that Kirk and Spock have towards the end of the episode.

Both Kirks are on the transporter pad, and Spock is at the controls, with McCoy standing nearby. They're about to use the transporter to try to reintegrate Kirk, but they don't know if it will work.

Kirk: Mr. Spock.

Spock: Captain?

Kirk: If this doesn't work...

Spock: Understood, Captain.

Huh? Well, *I* don't understand! WHAT is understood? I mean, I could think of a half a dozen possibilities:

1. If this doesn't work, it was nice working with you.

2. If this doesn't work, take care of my ship.

3. If this doesn't work, remember that you're the one who talked me into this.

4. If this doesn't work, don't feel guilty for being the one who talked me into this.

5. If this doesn't work, don't let McCoy lambaste you too badly for talking me into this.

6. If this doesn't work, do your best to save the landing party on the planet.

If this doesn't work, WHAT?!

What do YOU think Kirk meant?

"If this doesn't work, don't make any leering, creepy remarks to Yeoman Rand at the end of the show, OK?"

Spock, in a rare moment of bad taste (and ill-timed humor), ignores this advice...

Now, I love Spock, and I like this episode 2 (and the late Richard Matheson is one of my favorite horror writers), but that last scene with Spock making the creepy remark to Yeoman Rand about double-Kirk's implicit rape of her is just UGLY and insanely inappropriate. Frankly, I'm surprised it even got by the overlord network censors in those days. It mars the whole episode for me. I tend to watch the DVD of it only to that point and then eject it. It's especially awful for me to hear those words coming out of the mouth of my all-time favorite ST character. It's a bit like catching Santa Claus making sexual advances to a child or something equally hideous.

You can tell the writers hadn't quite figured out Spock at this point yet; much in the same way the original script called for Spock to knock the crap out of Kirk's double in the engine room to render him unconscious. Nimoy developed the Vulcan neck pinch as a nice (non-violent) alternative. That improvised bit went a LONG way towards establishing Spock as the more pacifistic character we know and love today.

But yes, Spock's line to Rand about how the "impostor had some 'interesting qualities' " is simply disgusting. Rape is hardly a topic for a quick laugh...

This episode could've been a 9, save for that awful coda. Now it rates a 7 for me...

"If this doesn't work, don't make any leering, creepy remarks to Yeoman Rand at the end of the show, OK?"

Yes, it certainly IS distressing to hear something so inappropriate come out of the mouth of my favorite character -- and out of the mouth of someone who is usually exquisitely polite and unfailingly ethical. There are some aspects of TOS that one just has to file under "The 60's were REALLY different." :dry:

But I'm pretty sure Kirk wasn't anticipating Spock's horribly inappropriate comment at the end of the show. :P What do you think he actually meant to finish that sentence with?

Edited by Corylea