Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

The Naked Time

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

The Naked Time

TOS Season 1, Episode 4

WRITTEN BY

John D. F. Black

DIRECTED BY

Marc Daniels

First Aired Sep 29, 1966

Stardate 1704.2

Returning from planet Psi 2000, a landing party inadvertently spreads a rampant disease which has a feverish intoxicating effect on the crew. Seemingly harmless at first, Kirk must race to find a cure when Lieutenant Riley seizes control of Engineering and places the Enterprise directly in the path of destruction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I loved the scene where Sulu ran down the corridors fencing; I really like Riley as well. Great episode, I give it a 7.

I didn't get the time warp at the end, that kind of confused me.

I gave this one a 7 also - it would be much better if it weren't for Riley's singing! :crazy: *lol* I really can't stand the guy in that episode!

I also love Sulu and his fencing stuff, though! :thumbsup2:

"I can't change the laws o' physics; I've got to have thirty minutes!"

Can't. Can't. Can't. Not canna. Please, pro-novelists, STOP SCREWING IT UP!

CAN'T

Good episode. The crew going nuts owing to the virus...the time warp I think was to lead onto "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" or set this up for that episode.

Good episode. The crew going nuts owing to the virus...the time warp I think was to lead onto "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" or set this up for that episode.

I'll have to watch that episode again and then see if it makes sense afterwards.

Tomorrow Is Yesterday was meant to be a sequel, according to Memory Alpha but it never happened. Thus the gap in episodes.

That was the plan. :)

Thanks Raven. It would have been good if that had happened, it would have made more sense. I wonder why they didn't put them together.

Scheduling. "Tomorrow is Yesterday" required a lot of location shooting that they couldn't schedule properly immediately following "The Naked Time" and so the second part was moved until further in the season.

But aren't all the episodes shot before they are aired? Then they could put them in any order they wanted.

Sulu takes up fencing and threatens crew members with his foil. A classic ep that earns a 10 rating from me.

This is a fun classic episode, and one of my favorites. I can watch this again and again, and it's just as good as the first time. 10.

I have to agree with Voy. I don't understand how time was going backwards either. *hmm*

I gave this one a 7 also - it would be much better if it weren't for Riley's singing! :crazy: *lol* I really can't stand the guy in that episode!

I also love Sulu and his fencing stuff, though! :thumbsup2:

Actually...I kinda liked Kirk's response to Riley singing "Kathleen" one more time:

"Not again."

Hehehehehehe!

And you have got to love what Uhura said to Sulu:

"I'll protect you, fair maiden!"

"Sorry - NEITHER!"

Sulu fencing was it for me liking this episode. Way better than the *cough* modern version *cough*, it's a good thing Riley isn't Wesley, because it would've screwed Kirk. 8

I rewatched this episode last night and I'm a bit confused about some scenes.

On this episode Chapel tells Spock she loves him which we know is true 'cause that's a feeling she shows in other episodes of the show and Spock says "I'm sorry" and leaves. I've always thought it meant something like "You love me but I can't / don't love you back so I'm sorry", after that he breaks down in the conference room and says "Too late. I'm sorry. Two, four, six. Six times six", what does he mean? Is it too late for her to confess her love because he already decided he can't love anyone? what are those numbers? Is he trying to say someone is 6 times late (whatever that means)? or is he just trying to make his mind clear in order to do his job? or is he talking about his mother (like he talks in the following secene with Kirk)?

Maybe I'm over analyzing this but I find it interesting and I think it tells us something more about the mystery Spock can be.

IMO he means it's too late to love someone 'cause he already decided he's gonna just bury his feelings and his human side and that he's sorry for that because in this state of mind he recognizes that loving someone isn't such a bad idea.

Watched it last night, a 7. I too hate that singing dude... ;-)

But I LOVE to hate him. I always have this vision of the deleted scene where Kirk is, "I know you were sick and everything, but damn." and pops him in the chops.

It was supposed to be, but ToY went through so many rewrites D.C.Fontana wanted her name off of it and they ended up separating the two.

Just finished re-watching this one... and it's one of those episodes I like less with each re-watch, I guess. I mean it has its moments, definitely, and there's some very strong acting, particulaly from Nimoy, but... in the end I guess it's just not my thing. (Just to be clear, I detest TNG's version of this one. I only don't really care for this one. But the TNG version I detest.)

Anyways... the plot... well I guess there is a plot somewhere along the whole 'everyone is acting strangely' thing, but I can't be bothered to write it down, haha. (I think it has to do with the Enterprise spiraling towards Psi 2000 and a cold re-start of the engines.)

Can we talk about how Sulu keeps hitting on Riley? lol I love how he tries to convince him to pick up fencing at first and later he asks him if he wants to go to the gym with him, haha. Speaking of Sulu - THAT SWORD SCENE. Haha. I love how he marches onto the bridge and Kirk puts his hand on the tip of the sword and it stings... "Sulu, put tha- *OW OW OW* put that thing away!" < lolololol

Also, that scene with Spock and Chapel. How relatable is this. "I'm in love with you, Mr. Spock." "I am sorry." < same - and then he walks through the corridors and ends up in that room with "I'm IN CONTROL OF MY EMOTIONS"... oh, how well I can relate! And then the Kirk/Spock moment about Spock saying that he feels ashamed about feeling 'friendship' for Kirk. FRIENDSHIP. SUUUUUURE :P

I CAN'T STAND RILEY. Did I mention that before? I think so. I can't stand his singing, I can't stand the guy in general, and aaaaaarrrrggghhhhh. lol

Anyways. Like I said above, this episode just isn't my thing. I guess episodes with basically drunk people in general aren't my thing for personal reasons, no matter how 'funny' it seems to others, it's never entirely funny to me. Again, for personal reasons. I give this one a 4/10.

The favorite quote of the moment award for this episode goes to Kirk, for his "Please, not again." line when Riley resumes his singing.

Re-watching and podcasting about this episode recently. Think it is one of the most important TOS episodes. More on that in the podcast.

But here is my question: Spock basically invented time travel in this episode, why didn't the writers use it more? The only time they did use it was two extenuating circumstances that had to do with external Trek Canon reasons: Assignment Earth was Roddenberry trying to pitch another TV show and use Trek to introduce it; and The Voyage Home was a movie that needed to be set in the present day in order to make a light hearted romp. 

It would have maybe killed the franchise if every other episode was about time travel instead of space travel. It would have been like Doctor Who, not about the final frontier. But has anybody ever read about or heard about why Roddenberry or the producers of TOS actually explain why they never used? There was no reason for them to have Spock invent time travel--it had nothing to do with the rest of the story. Just curious if anyone ever talked about this.       

18 minutes ago, Justin Snead said:

Re-watching and podcasting about this episode recently. Think it is one of the most important TOS episodes. More on that in the podcast.

But here is my question: Spock basically invented time travel in this episode, why didn't the writers use it more? The only time they did use it was two extenuating circumstances that had to do with external Trek Canon reasons: Assignment Earth was Roddenberry trying to pitch another TV show and use Trek to introduce it; and The Voyage Home was a movie that needed to be set in the present day in order to make a light hearted romp. 

It would have maybe killed the franchise if every other episode was about time travel instead of space travel. It would have been like Doctor Who, not about the final frontier. But has anybody ever read about or heard about why Roddenberry or the producers of TOS actually explain why they never used? There was no reason for them to have Spock invent time travel--it had nothing to do with the rest of the story. Just curious if anyone ever talked about this.       

I've read in the making of Star Trek (the Marc Cushman books) that DC Fontana's "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" was supposed to be the direct sequel to this episode, hence the time travel mention (it was supposed to push them all the way back to the 20th century).  But production delays in TIY pushed it back on the schedule and the 'black star' was used as the time travel deus ex machina instead. 

It's not too unlike how TNG's "Q Who" was supposed to open S2 after S1's "The Neutral Zone" (which had the Borg neutralizing outposts along the neutral zone; a mention of which survived into "Q Who).  But a writer's strike in 1988 delayed "Q Who"'s production.

In the case of Naked Time and TIY, the connection was removed entirely in both episodes' final scripts.

1 hour ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I've read in the making of Star Trek (the Marc Cushman books) that DC Fontana's "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" was supposed to be the direct sequel to this episode, hence the time travel mention (it was supposed to push them all the way back to the 20th century).  But production delays in TIY pushed it back on the schedule and the 'black star' was used as the time travel deus ex machina instead. 

It's not too unlike how TNG's "Q Who" was supposed to open S2 after S1's "The Neutral Zone" (which had the Borg neutralizing outposts along the neutral zone; a mention of which survived into "Q Who).  But a writer's strike in 1988 delayed "Q Who"'s production.

In the case of Naked Time and TIY, the connection was removed entirely in both episodes' final scripts.

I forgot about Tomorrow is Yesterday! Can't wait to get to it. I do recall reading in Cushman that The Naked Time was supposed to be a two parter. That was an overly ambitious idea considering how tight the schedule was. The Man Trap was finished less tha 10 days before it aired. Charlie X was the second episode aired because it was the only one that was ready, and it was finished about a week before it aired. 

Anyway, it's good that Trek avoided a standard time travel method I think. That would have distracted from the space exploration. You could totally do a sci-fi show that explored both space and time--not in a Quantum Leap way, but more in a physics-based Relativity way like Interstellar--but that's just not Trek's narrative style.   

Sign in to follow this