Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Charlie X

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Charlie X

TOS Season 1, Episode 2

TELEPLAY BY

D. C. Fontana

STORY BY

Gene Roddenberry

DIRECTED BY

Lawrence Dobkin

First Aired Sep 15, 1966

Stardate 1533.6

Unbeknownst to the crew of the Enterprise, Charles Evans is in fact a human with dangerously powerful psionic powers. He soon creates havoc onboard ship and terrorises the crew. Kirk must put Charlie back in his place whilst at the same time, avoid one of his deadly teenage mood swings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked this episode to begin with, but about 20-25 minutes in, I began to get bored, I felt that it dragged on too long and that the story could have been told within half the time. I think the problem for with many of the TOS stories is they don't have a B story. In the other series you have the main A plot, but you keep cutting back to the B story. It divides the episode up and tells two stories at the same time. With TOS it tells A stories that should take about 20-30 minutes to tell, but then drag them out for another 10-20 minutes to fill in the air time.

I gave this episode a 5. I felt sorry for Charlie in a way, since he hadn't been with corporeal beings for most of his life, so he had no idea how to interact with people. And the crew weren't very nice to him - even before he started making people disappear, etc. They just ignored him despite the fact that he had had no human interaction for 14 years. I keep thinking how things my have been different if it were a different crew that met him. On Voyager, the characters would have been more sympathetic to him, e.g. Janeway, Kes, Doc, Tom and in TNG, as a councellor, Troi would have been more helpful, but Kirk was a pretty crap role model to be honest.

Ugh. I ain't no big fan of this episode, really. Charlie simply annoys me. But then, most kids do, so this is nothing new. ;) I like the A plot story style of TOS, though - but the big problem it brings with it is that if I don't like the A plot, I also dislike most of the episode. :laugh:

And yeah, Kirk REALLY isn't the best role model available.

I wonder what became of Charlie...

Oh and the episode gets a 5 only from me, too.

He died.

:P

He didn't...? Or did he? *checks*

Certain it would be impossible for Charlie to live a normal life with his own people, the Thasians remove him to their vessel and depart. <-- says Memory Alpha.

Charlie doesn't die, you're right.

What I don't get is, if the Thasians were able to give Charlie this power, why couldn't they then take it away?

Beats me. :) A friend who is watching Trek for the first time thought Charlie was your average Trek fan... like one of those inspirational posters "Star Trek Fans- Because sex is Overrated"...Either way, I give it a 6. It's fine but not much else.

Charlie doesn't die, you're right.

What I don't get is, if the Thasians were able to give Charlie this power, why couldn't they then take it away?

agreed--and agreed with what you said in your original review too. i had to check the time after awhile because it seemed like it dragged on a bit long.

Well, maybe I'm being too kind, but I gave it an 8. The struggle that Charlie goes through is very real, but made worse with his condition. He wanted to be loved... doesn't every kid want that? No matter how old? I thought it was very touching and sad.... kinda scary too, because of what he could do. I also think the part with Uhura singing about Spock is very entertaining. I love it. :biggrin: Anyway... I just think that the personal conflict going on within Charlie was very well done. I guess it's not the best Star Trek episode, but I think it was good. I think I gave it too high of a rating now that I think about it, but... oh well. I think I should have given it a 6 or 7.

I really liked this episode. It was rather entertaining. I love the part where Uhura is singing about Spock. She's the only Lt. on the ship who's allowed to get away with something like that, and she managed to get a smile from the Vulcan.

I love the part where Uhura is singing about Spock. She's the only Lt. on the ship who's allowed to get away with something like that, and she managed to get a smile from the Vulcan.

Oh, yesss I know. That was amazing. I could watch that part every day! :inlove:

Edited by Mrs. Spock

Overall, a well done ep. Gotta love that space spawn Charlie and his crush on Yeoman Rand (who can blame him). I also thought that the Thasians were a neat species.

I CRACK UP, when Charlie talks about how 'hungry' he is and Janice bites her bottom lip. Too funny!

I bet he's hungry...for some Rand! :laugh:

This is very "Meh" for me, and it gets a 3. I don't like that they think he has learned to walk and talk like a normal human, by being raised through watching record tapes. OK, he's a bit of an awkward teenager around attractive women. Is that it? 15 years alone since he was a baby? If that was what they were supposed to believe, he should have been more like Molly O'Brien from that DS9 episode where she goes back in time and comes out as Captain Caveman.

I give this one a solid 8.

Well acted by Robert Walker Jr. as the confused Charles Evans; a hormone crazed teenager given alien powers to survive on a harsh, barren planet as a child.

His frustrations, his angst, his sex drive and his rebellious nature are very typical and NATURAL for teenagers (if he were raised on earth he'd probably be busted for smoking in the boys' room at school, or pinching a girls' butt). And the actor conveys the pain of adolescence so acutely that it's almost uncomfortable to watch.

Love the nice moments between the supporting characters. Uhura's delightful comic singing in the rec room (and Spock half-embarrassed but still smiling... yes, he SMILED! I think he had a thing for Uhura; it was hinted at in "Man Trap" and other episodes). Yeoman Rand had some good moments too. I have mixed emotions about her leaving the series. Most of the time she was superfluous, yet in episodes like "Charlie X" we see a hint of her potential...

And while the overall story is VERY derivative of an old "Twilight Zone" called "It's a Good Life" (written by "Mirror Mirror" scribe Jerome Bixby), its different enough to make it worthwhile. And that final scene on the bridge ("I want to stay-- stay--stay--stay...") is heartbreaking; Charlie is condemned to a life without warmth or human contact for something that was clearly not his fault (he didn't ask to be made omnipotent by the Thasians). Its also a near-perfect metaphor for juvenile delinquents who are raised by indifferent, unfeeling or uncaring parents; is it their fault when they too, grow up just as uncaring themselves?

A solid 8.

Not the best episode, but a good one.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

Still remember being fairly creeped out when Charlie wiped, quite literally, the expressions off the crew laughing the mess hall. Heck, I was 9.

Still remember being fairly creeped out when Charlie wiped, quite literally, the expressions off the crew laughing the mess hall. Heck, I was 9.

Hell, the 'faceless woman' still freaks me out and I'm in my 40s!

He seemed to be a forerunner of the Q character. Rand brings him a perfectly nice young woman to hang out with, but he totally disses her in front of Rand. Probably Grace Whitney's best episode of her short time on the show. Not my favorite, but not bad either.

7/10

He seemed to be a forerunner of the Q character. Rand brings him a perfectly nice young woman to hang out with, but he totally disses her in front of Rand. Probably Grace Whitney's best episode of her short time on the show. Not my favorite, but not bad either.

7/10

I would compare him more to Gary Mitchell or Reginald Barclay (in "Nth Degree") than Q; as both characters didn't ask for what happened to them, either (much like Charlie). And since Charlie was so wracked with insecurities and adolescent foibles, he had nowhere near the arrogance and confidence of a Q.

For me, Trelane (of "Squire of Gothos") was much closer to a Q prototype (there was even a book that had them related). I remember the night TNG premiered and after a few minutes, I turned to my sister and said, "Is this a remake of 'Squire of Gothos?" :huh2: (the forcefield/Q ship sequence reminded me of the SoG scene where the Enterprise was being 'chased' by the planet Gothos). My sister and I were both avid TOS Trekkies at the time.

Edited by Sehlat Vie

I actually gave this a 9.

For an early season 1 ep. this episode is really good at using the whole ship, which was unusual for early eps. We really didn't get to see as much of the ship, except in fellow early season 1 ep. The Naked Time until we got to season 2 -- so that almost makes this ep. amazing -- except I'm not fond that the main engineering wasn't seen and neither Scotty, Sulu or Lt. Kevin Riley are not in this episode. Would have loved to seen one or more of those three characters in this episode which we get to see in The Naked Time -- which I will rate a solid 10.

I actually loved the mystery surrounding Charlie, and thought that he acted very much like what I would expect an isolated teen to act.

Agree that the Thasians were one of the more interesting species the Enterprise encountered in the whole series.

This is my favorite Janice Rand episode.

And the bits between Uhura and Spock are wonderful.

The only other nitpick I have about this episode is I so am upset that they never showed the rest of the ship being restored after the Thasians supposedly did so, except for the return of Janice. I really feel they should have showed that blue dress (sciences) crew woman get back her face and the yellow shirt (command) crew woman be returned as a younger woman.

Sign in to follow this