Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Relics

Episode name: "Relics"

Season: 6

Director: Alexander Singer

The Enterprise discovers a ship that crashed on a Dyson Sphere more than 75 years ago with a single survivor suspended in the transporter buffer: Captain Montgomery Scott. (Memory Alpha)

Weeeell, what can I say... despite the fact that LaForge REALLY acts like a total jerk towards Scott, I still like the episode somehow.

For example, I just love the scene with Scott and Jean-Luc on the good ol' 1701 bridge. I love how Jean-Luc says "The first ship I ever served aboard as captain was called the Stargazer. It was an overworked, underpowered vessel, always on the verge of flying apart at the seams. In every measurable sense, my Enterprise is far superior. But there are times when I would give almost anything to command the Stargazer again." Awwww!!!! *sigh*

And I love how Jean-Luc then tries to help Scott feel useful... what I do NOT like is that NO ONE else seems to take care of poor Scott. They just leave him alone??? No one wants to listen to his awesome stories? Puh-lease. That man is a LEGEND! o_O

Ael   

I love this episode and its all because of Scotty. I would have listened to him tell his stories. I like it when he's getting into it with the holodeck. All the man wants, is to see HIS Enterprise. He can't even get a good drink. At least he gets something, even if it...*sniffs* ...is green! :laugh:

Both Picard and Scotty still love their old ships. "To old girlfriends that we'll never meet again."

I'd listen to Scotty's stories 'till the bitter end! :biggrin: One of my all-time favorites, for probably the same reasons as everyone else. :P

I just adore the Ten Forward scene with Scotty and Data.

"S-s-synthehol?"

"Synthetic alcohol, synthetic Commanders!"

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

SLWalker   

::muttermuttergrumble:: Because yeah, being flung seventy-five years old of context with your family and friends mostly dead and everything you've known being gone is totally good, uh huh, especially when these new people treat you like you're somehow utterly pathetic, even though you could take the whole lot on with half your brain tied behind your back... :::muttermuttergrumblefadeout:::

Voyager   

'It is...green' :laugh:

I do love this episode, but one thing bugs me; it is more a criticism of 'Generations' rather than 'Relics' as 'Relics' came first. In this episode, Scotty says he bet Kirk had come to rescue him, but in 'Generations' Scotty is seen discovering Kirk presumably being killed in a breach, so would already have thought Kirk dead. If Scotty was trapped in the transporter buffer before that happened then he shouldn't have been in 'Generations'. The only solution I can come up with is that after 'Relics', Scotty found a way to get back to his own time.

I do love this episode, but one thing bugs me; it is more a criticism of 'Generations' rather than 'Relics' as 'Relics' came first. In this episode, Scotty says he bet Kirk had come to rescue him, but in 'Generations' Scotty is seen discovering Kirk presumably being killed in a breach, so would already have thought Kirk dead. If Scotty was trapped in the transporter buffer before that happened then he shouldn't have been in 'Generations'. The only solution I can come up with is that after 'Relics', Scotty found a way to get back to his own time.

It's yet another example of "hey, we haven't seen the entire TNG show/don't remember all the episodes, but let's make a cool movie!".

Some people have tried to explain this by saying that Scott has gaps in his memory and all after all that time in that transporter buffer (he's on his way to retirement, so, this is a post-Generations Scott I'd say). His memory looks fine to me, though, and I doubt he'd forget about something as important as Kirk's death. So, yeah, this is a major writers' screw-up IMO.

I liked the clash between LaForge and Scotty (even if it does mean I actually want to punch LaForge, a first I think.) It just illustrates how much culture, procedues and technology has changed in his absence. Anyway, they come to an understanding later on when Scott uses his old ways and teaches LaForge a few tricks by getting the Enterprise out of the Dyson Sphere again.

As for the continuity screw up, it's not inconcieveable that Scotty said what he said believing Kirk was still alive before the reality set in. It's something I can understand and sympathise with because I get those moments often when I dream about my Granddad, even though he's been dead 11 years.

Voyager   

It's yet another example of "hey, we haven't seen the entire TNG show/don't remember all the episodes, but let's make a cool movie!".

Some people have tried to explain this by saying that Scott has gaps in his memory and all after all that time in that transporter buffer (he's on his way to retirement, so, this is a post-Generations Scott I'd say). His memory looks fine to me, though, and I doubt he'd forget about something as important as Kirk's death. So, yeah, this is a major writers' screw-up IMO.

I always loved Generations, but after I saw 'Relics' I couldn't help but feel let down by the movie for not paying enough attention.

Benedict   

I've always liked the episode purely for Scotty. Purely for that holodeck scene where we get Scotty revisiting his ship. Though it's the novelisation he does interact with Kirk and co before Picard shows up. However, alluding to what Mrs P said far above this post about no one else bothering with Scotty it's a shame. Could've done with Guinan in a scene vaguely reminiscent of Generations where she keeps feeding Scotty drinks whilst Scotty regales her with stories. During the scene she corrects Scotty on a detail from one story.

Could've had Beverly just keeping him company. Some argue she never did anything anyway. :)

"Please enter program."

"The android at the bar said ya' could show me ma' old ship. Lemme see it."

"Insufficient data. Please specify by parameters."

"The Enterprise! Show me the bridge of the Enterprise, ya' chatterin' piece of..."

"There have been five Federation ships with that name. Please specify by registry number."

"NCC-1701. No bloody A, B, C, or D."

"Program complete. Enter when ready."

The Computer and Scotty, about the first starship Enterprise on the holodeck

One of my favourite moments in TNG :giggle:

I love this episode and its all because of Scotty. I would have listened to him tell his stories. I like it when he's getting into it with the holodeck. All the man wants, is to see HIS Enterprise. He can't even get a good drink. At least he gets something, even if it...*sniffs* ...is green! laugh.gif

Both Picard and Scotty still love their old ships. "To old girlfriends that we'll never meet again."

*Runs risk of getting his Imperial Guard card revoked*

I was glad to see Scotty again. I felt that he was not treated as the legend that he was. I did not expect Picard's crew to fall over him with hero worship, but COME ON! Here is one of Starfleet's finest engineers. LaForge should have recognized that fact and been trying to learn all he could about how Scotty thought process worked. Instead of bring him up to speed on the latest tech upgrades of his time so Scotty would know how things are done in the 24th century, he treats Scotty like a first year cadet. I love the ITs green joke going back to the first Scotty used that line against a Kelvin. I got it right away. I loved that Scotty used the holodeck to recreate the bridge of the Enterprise and saluted his fellow officers that he is separated from by time. I nearly cried when Scotty felt useless and old (guards man / Imperial Guard card). It made me felt like someone's grandpa who was placed out of time and he could no longer contribute and have a purpose. finally, I" am glad to see LAforge and Scotty work together to save the 1707-D from being trapped inside the Dyson sphere. It was the best moment of of the episode and gave me a taste of one of TOS legends back on prime time.

^ Agreed. I don't think he was treated correctly either by most of the crew. No need for complete and utter hero worship indeed, but they at least could've listened to his stories. They might've been able to learn something, perhaps. He IS the greatest engineer ever, so, a little more respect would've been in order, particularly from LaForge. I get that he felt threatened and annoyed, but really, there was no need for him to yell like that at poor Scott. And don't get me started on that stupid ensign who probably doesn't even KNOW who Scott IS, judging from the completely ignorant way he acts around him. Kids these days... :P

Dillkid   

I really like this episode, due to my fascination with series' cast interacting with each other on screen mainly. We get some funny scenes with Scotty and Data that are really good in Ten Forward, and it's both incredibly weird and awesome at the same time to see Picard on Kirk's bridge. 7 out of 10 for this one.

Edited by Dillkid

Having just watched this episode again, I'm struck and a little dismayed at how the writers infantilize Scotty for the first half of the episode.

And it's not the wanting to reminisce. It's not for missing his own time. All that is completely understandable. It's his incessant touching of everything and attempting to correct LaForge, which let's him treat the "crazy old man." like a toddler who keeps trying to get into the drawer with the sharp knives.

It's actually very demeaning to the character.

Sign in to follow this