Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Time's Arrow, Part II

Episode name: "Time's Arrow, Part II"

Season: 6

Director: Les Landau

Trapped in 19th century San Francisco, the crew tries to stop the Devidians from killing more Humans. (Memory Alpha)

I. Love. This. Episode.

I love Mrs. Carmichael. "MISTER PICKERT!" OMG. I also love how Jean-Luc suddenly acts so totally charming towards her that she forgets about asking for the rent. (He can really be 'over-sweet' if he chooses to! *grin*)

I also love the first scene in which she appears and Jean-Luc pretends to be all actor-like with his "I assure you, you will have the rent, in full, with a bonus." and she's all like "Oh, no, no, no, no. I've heard you silver-tongued devils before!" - I love the look on his face falls in that scene! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: FAIL, my dear! :laugh:

I also love how Jean-Luc later tells Clemens to pay the rent, so - Jean-Luc does not forget about her. I think that's really incredibly awesome. (Okay, asking someone else to pay the rent for you isn't awesome - but hey, he really has no other choice here! )

And then there are these wonderful scenes with Jean-Luc and Guinan in the cavern. Awwwwwwwwwwwww. "I didn't want anything to happen to you. You're far too important to me." *happy sigh* Awwww. Just awww.

Riker does look good in that uniform, doesn't he?

I have always had a thing for men in uniforms. :inlove:

I dunno... I prefer Jean-Luc's outfit. Especially the bootz. :laugh:

*hides* :laugh:

But Riker does look nice in that uniform indeed, I admit it. He's just not my type, I can't help it!

I just adore both parts of this episode, and all the historical goodiness in it is just awesome. :thumbup: Riker cop, which sounds like a sequel to Robocop, rocks out loud. I love the punch he throws to that other S.F. cop and just hightails it with Jean-Luc and the others on the stagecoach...which was just genius.

I loved Clemens, and his whole amazed tirade aboard the Enterprise. Everything about it was so great.... Just a fun episode, much in the style of TOS. Not an epic episode in the style of BOBW or AGT, but just pure fun.

Excellent episode! Certainly one of the best and most creative of TNG. I love episodes that deal with time travel in a way that it comes back to a "full circle" as Guinan put it. This episode reminds me of the film 12 Monkeys.

This is a good follow up to the first part. If I was to nitpick I find it hard to believe that someone from the 19th Century would adjust to the idea of time travel and aliens on earth at the time being reality, as well as the ways of the future so easily and quickly. But this is a still worth 9 out of 10.

This is an awesome episode and it's one of my favourites :)

I love how Picard sent the message to the future using Data's head. That was brilliant.

I also love how Data "survived" to the 19th century: he played poker, got a room, bought new clothes, got what he needed to do the experiment, located Guinan and the others couldn't even pay the rent :laugh:

And of course Data dressed like that, God! He looked yummy! :inlove:

I give it a 9 :)

Edited by notaplayer83

While not exactly a favorite, I recently saw this one and it was a bit more fun than I remembered. I give it a 7.

Since I got my season 6 Blu Rays the day before yesterday...

The funniest thing about this episode is definitely Mrs. Carmichael. "MISTER PICKERT!" I love how she shows up and demands the rent and how Jean-Luc manages to stall her every single time. (Although she really is tough to deal with, I love his face when she's all like NO DUDE YOU GONNA GIVE ME MAH RENT I DON'T CARE WHO YOU ARE.) I love how he literally makes her shut up with all his irresistible charme (he can be like that if he chooses to) and I ALSO love how he DOESN'T FORGET ABOUT THE RENT. HE actually asks Clemens to take care of it although he really should have other things on his mind (such as getting back to his century ASAP). It's one of the cute things about him - he doesn't forget this sort of stuff.

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT RIKER. "I just want you to know that I have the utmost respect for the law." *PUNCHES COP* Oh Riker. Haha! And people wonder why I love his sense of humor.

ALSO. THE PICARD/GUINAN SCENES. I ship these two SO hard and OH MY GOD THEY ARE PERFECT. "Do you know me?" "Very well." HRHASDBAKSDBAKSHBDAKSHBDKHASBDKASHBD JUST KISS ALREADY also HOW HE STAYS BEHIND JUST FOR HER. He TRAPS HIMSELF IN THE 19TH CENTURY BECAUSE HE IS WORRIED ABOUT GUINAN CAN WE PLEASE APPRECIATE THIS PROPERLY HIS LOVE FOR THIS WOMAN GOES WAY BEYOND ANYTHING ELSE.

Speaking of love that goes beyond anything else: Can we mention how Riker is fiercely determined to GET HIS BELOVED JEAN-LUC BACK and it takes pretty much EVERYONE to keep him from doing so. CAN THESE TWO BE ANY MORE CANON.

Does this episode also have a plot, ah yes, it has, and a pretty nice one. It has always given me a bit of a time travel WTF feeling but hey in this case I really like it. I love how things come 'full circle'. AND ALL THE PAIRINGS ARE RE-UNITED. LaForge gets his beloved Data back, Jean-Luc gets Guinan (I love how he just walks into Ten Forward at the end and they smile at each other and neither of them says anything BECAUSE THE LOVE IS THERE WITHOUT WORDS /dying whale noise) and Riker gets his beloved captain back. <3

ALSO I NEED TO MENTION THIS MOMENT:

tumblr_m3tqv7endK1r81219o1_250.gif

Goddammit man

The favorite quote of the moment award for this episode goes to Riker, for his "This is the 24th century, we're on Devidia Two, and you're not supposed to be here" line to Clemens. Gets me every single time, haha.

The favorite Jean-Luc moment award for this episode goes to the one in which Data picks them up and he jumps onto the back and is all like "Agreed. GET US OUT OF HERE." You can literally FEEL how he has to resist saying "Engage", haha.

This one gets an 8/10 from me.

Standing by my original 7, I like this one although I don't really love it.

Overall my favorite things about it are:

* Picard and company pretending to be a Shakespeare troupe. Brilliant! Any chance ST has to work in a bit of the Bard is fine by me.

And Sir Patrick is utterly delightful in his bit with Ms. Carmichael. Love that scene! Love Geordi's Stevie Wonder impression with the sunglasses (Burton actually played a blind guy in an episode of "Love Boat" called "Love is Blind"; many years ago).

31%2Bcf5XWjOL.jpg

* Data's old head (the 500 year old version) being the one he ultimately 'wears' for the rest of his life. I don't know why, but I kind of like how that worked out.

* Mark Twain. OK, he got a bit annoying in the mine scene with the pistol (when trying to 'stop the invaders'), but I loved his tour of the Enterprise. How he managed to keep quiet about it is beyond me. I'm a huge fan of Twain's "Letters From The Earth" and I could imagine how his 'visit' to a secular future seemed to reinforce his doubts about the validity of organized religion.

* Riker decking the cop was hilarious.

Things I didn't like so much...

* The bond between Guinan & Picard is deeper than marriage, deeper than family, etc. all because he tended to her injuries once deep in some mines under San Francisco?

So, would Guinan have formed a similar bond with Pavel Chekov in GEN when he took care of her in the Ent-B's sickbay? Sorry, but my head canon version of how they met and bonded was a lot deeper than Picard playing paramedic. I'd assumed that maybe they WERE lovers at some point; or that perhaps she, like Boothby, got him through an ethical and moral dilemma at a turning point in his life (which would fit with the more reckless Picard we hear of throughout the show). I just thought it'd be 'more' than that. A big disappointment for me.

* The aliens were rather poorly defined.

And it was too bad that some kind of means could've been found to 'feed' them without harming sentient life. One assumes they'll just try again, or go elsewhere for a food source...

That's about it, really; it's still an improvement on the technobabble-heavy first part.

I stand by my 7.

Sign in to follow this