Sign in to follow this  
Ael

Redemption Part 2

Okay, so, here it goes with another TNG review of mine.

I really really really like this episode DESPITE it being mostly about Klingons and GLOOOORY and HONOOOOOR and DUUUUUTY. I think it's a very worthy conclusion for the first part, and I would have loved to witness it back then when it aired for the first time. (On the other hand, I doubt I'd have had the emotional stability to watch TNG when it aired. IMAGINE ME HAVING TO WAIT FOR NEW EPISODES AND NEVER KNOWING WHAT HAPPENS TO JEAN-LUC. A NIGHTMARE.)

Anyways. There are quite a few short moments that I love about this episode, such as the one in which Kurn pwns the other Klingon ships with his sun maneuver (there ARE reasons for him being my favorite Klingon) and the one in which Data finally snaps at Hobson (I HATE THAT RACIST JERK WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE HIM and the fact that the actor played a creepy fat-eating serial killer on X Files really does NOT help either), and the one in which Sela gets pwned by Data's modified torpedoes.

AND THEN THERE'S JEAN-LUC.

I love him as a fleet captain. (I love him as anything, I know, but fleet captain, rawr.) I love his commanding presence and how it is automatically assumed and approved by everyone that he gets to command the fleet. RRRRRRRRR

And of course we have ANOTHER admiral who calls him by his first name. ARGH!!!!!

AND THEN THERE'S HIS FACE WHEN HE REALIZES THAT DATA SHOULD COMMAND A SHIP. The 'omg he's right what was I thinking face. Awwww.

Also: "Doubts? I'm full of them." and "Mr. Data? Nicely done." hrrrr AND THEN HIS "Tasha..." whisper when Sela appears on the screen. asjdnbashjdbasjdhbashjdbas

And then there's the final scene in which he and Worf leave and Worf is that huge Klingon warrior and Jean-Luc the tiny cute bald starship captain aaaaaaaah so cute

So, like I said, I do love this episode. It gets an 8/10, just like Part I did.

The favorite quote of the moment for this episode goes to Data, for his "I understand your concerns. Request denied." sass towards that jerk Hobson did I mention that I hate Hobson, yes

The favorite Jean-Luc moment for this episode goes to the look on his face when Gowron gives Worf Toral's life and expects him to kill him. That "OMG WORF YOU WON'T DO THAT WILL YOU" look! Picard/Worf, anyone

Okay, so, here it goes with another TNG review of mine.

I really really really like this episode DESPITE it being mostly about Klingons and GLOOOORY and HONOOOOOR and DUUUUUTY. I think it's a very worthy conclusion for the first part, and I would have loved to witness it back then when it aired for the first time. (On the other hand, I doubt I'd have had the emotional stability to watch TNG when it aired. IMAGINE ME HAVING TO WAIT FOR NEW EPISODES AND NEVER KNOWING WHAT HAPPENS TO JEAN-LUC. A NIGHTMARE.)

Anyways. There are quite a few short moments that I love about this episode, such as the one in which Kurn pwns the other Klingon ships with his sun maneuver (there ARE reasons for him being my favorite Klingon) and the one in which Data finally snaps at Hobson (I HATE THAT RACIST JERK WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE HIM and the fact that the actor played a creepy fat-eating serial killer on X Files really does NOT help either), and the one in which Sela gets pwned by Data's modified torpedoes.

AND THEN THERE'S JEAN-LUC.

I love him as a fleet captain. (I love him as anything, I know, but fleet captain, rawr.) I love his commanding presence and how it is automatically assumed and approved by everyone that he gets to command the fleet. RRRRRRRRR

And of course we have ANOTHER admiral who calls him by his first name. ARGH!!!!!

AND THEN THERE'S HIS FACE WHEN HE REALIZES THAT DATA SHOULD COMMAND A SHIP. The 'omg he's right what was I thinking face. Awwww.

Also: "Doubts? I'm full of them." and "Mr. Data? Nicely done." hrrrr AND THEN HIS "Tasha..." whisper when Sela appears on the screen. asjdnbashjdbasjdhbashjdbas

And then there's the final scene in which he and Worf leave and Worf is that huge Klingon warrior and Jean-Luc the tiny cute bald starship captain aaaaaaaah so cute

So, like I said, I do love this episode. It gets an 8/10, just like Part I did.

The favorite quote of the moment for this episode goes to Data, for his "I understand your concerns. Request denied." sass towards that jerk Hobson did I mention that I hate Hobson, yes

The favorite Jean-Luc moment for this episode goes to the look on his face when Gowron gives Worf Toral's life and expects him to kill him. That "OMG WORF YOU WON'T DO THAT WILL YOU" look! Picard/Worf, anyone

Again.

Your review makes me want to reevaluate an episode I didn't like so much the first time I saw it. :laugh::thumbup:

As I'm not a big Klingon fan either; their "HONOR/DEATH/DUTY" blah-blah-blah crap gets tiresome really quick for me as well.

But I liked how the episode uses the Klingon civil war to bring out the best attributes of the non-Klingon characters.

Picard was really amazing in this one, I have to say. Yes, 'fleet commander' fits him very well indeed.

My only nit? It would've been better for if Picard had come to the realization that Data was fit to command first. He was, after all, the man who passionately argued in favor of Data's sentience and right of self-determination in "Measure of a Man" (ironically, a far better Picard episode than Data episode). Just saying. :)

And yes, I remember Hobson (Tim Carhart) as the 'fat-eater' on X-Files ("2Shy"). Creeped me out. He was also the abusive, controlling husband of Thelma (Geena Davis) in "Thelma and Louise" (1991).

And yes, Kurn gets extra awesome sauce for that solar flare maneuver.

That was (IMO) the coolest (or warmest?) battle I've ever seen on TNG (strategically and viscerally); and I am not a big 'pew-pew' fan, either.

It really sucks that DS9 pretty much lobotomized Kurn. I love DS9, but I hate what was done to Kurn... that was mind-rape. I would've preferred it if Worf simply honored Kurn's request and killed him. We are, at the end of the day, the sum total of our memories. DS9 robbed him of that.

I used to give this episode a 7 or so.

I may have to rewatch it again now.

I simply ignore that dreadful DS9 episode that ruined Kurn. Because WHY. There was no NEED FOR IT. :dry:

And yes, I have to admit that, at first glance, it WOULD have been a more logical choice to let Jean-Luc tell Data that he gets to command the Sutherland BEFORE Data says something. HOWEVER, the scene shows that Jean-Luc is only human as well, and humans make mistakes. Also, let's not forget that he refers to Lore as "it" at first until Data tells him not to in "Datalore" and that he also struggles a bit with things at first in "The Measure Of A Man" and that he only realizes the problem when Data asks him why not everyone aboard wears a VISOR like LaForge - this scene reflects those earlier moments when it's DATA who makes him realize that there's something wrong. In this scene he simply fails to realize that Data can take over a ship as well, I do believe him when he says "I felt you would be needed here, why do you ask?" when Data wants to know why he wasn't chosen and it's, again, Data who tells him that he needs to re-evaluate his position. It's a little lesson for Jean-Luc, even HE needs those from time to time.

I simply ignore that dreadful DS9 episode that ruined Kurn. Because WHY. There was no NEED FOR IT. :dry:

And yes, I have to admit that, at first glance, it WOULD have been a more logical choice to let Jean-Luc tell Data that he gets to command the Sutherland BEFORE Data says something. HOWEVER, the scene shows that Jean-Luc is only human as well, and humans make mistakes. Also, let's not forget that he refers to Lore as "it" at first until Data tells him not to in "Datalore" and that he also struggles a bit with things at first in "The Measure Of A Man" and that he only realizes the problem when Data asks him why not everyone aboard wears a VISOR like LaForge - this scene reflects those earlier moments when it's DATA who makes him realize that there's something wrong. In this scene he simply fails to realize that Data can take over a ship as well, I do believe him when he says "I felt you would be needed here, why do you ask?" when Data wants to know why he wasn't chosen and it's, again, Data who tells him that he needs to re-evaluate his position. It's a little lesson for Jean-Luc, even HE needs those from time to time.

Good point...

tumblr_lvm7ndVCia1r1rm6n.gif:P:laugh:

Don't feel bad. Trying to argue with me about Jean-Luc is like trying to argue with a brick wall. :P (Not my quote. Someone said this to me once.)

Don't feel bad. Trying to argue with me about Jean-Luc is like trying to argue with a brick wall. :P (Not my quote. Someone said this to me once.)

You'd think (after a couple years) I'd know better... :laugh:

and the one in which Data finally snaps at Hobson (I HATE THAT RACIST JERK WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE HIM and the fact that the actor played a creepy fat-eating serial killer on X Files really does NOT help either)

To be honest - I'm surprised TNG allowed a character like this to exist in Starfleet. I mean - I guess Maddox comes close, but still...

That actor is type cast as playing the smug, arrogant jerk. He does it so well that I don't mind. I love Data in this scene and it makes me lament his death in Nemesis even more. He'd clearly make an amazing Starfleet captain. Plus - he commanded my favorite class of ship - Nebula-class. :)

and the one in which Data finally snaps at Hobson (I HATE THAT RACIST JERK WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE REMOVE HIM and the fact that the actor played a creepy fat-eating serial killer on X Files really does NOT help either)

To be honest - I'm surprised TNG allowed a character like this to exist in Starfleet. I mean - I guess Maddox comes close, but still...

That actor is type cast as playing the smug, arrogant jerk. He does it so well that I don't mind. I love Data in this scene and it makes me lament his death in Nemesis even more. He'd clearly make an amazing Starfleet captain. Plus - he commanded my favorite class of ship - Nebula-class. :)

I forgot to mention that, yes! NEBULA CLASS! IT IS SO CUTE! I always squee at the Sutherland. Too bad it has officers like Hobson on board, lol. To be honest, though, I do think Hobson is a good officer. He is CLEARLY concerned for his people and he seems to be efficient enough. That's what makes things even worse - he's a good officer and yet so racist and anti-android that it bothers even ME, and I'm REALLY not a huge Data fan.

I forgot to mention that, yes! NEBULA CLASS! IT IS SO CUTE! I always squee at the Sutherland. Too bad it has officers like Hobson on board, lol. To be honest, though, I do think Hobson is a good officer. He is CLEARLY concerned for his people and he seems to be efficient enough. That's what makes things even worse - he's a good officer and yet so racist and anti-android that it bothers even ME, and I'm REALLY not a huge Data fan.

It's hard to believe someone like Hobson made it through Starfleet academy... he probably cringed inwardly whenever an alien walked by him in a hallway.

I actually don't think he hates aliens per se. His racism strikes me as the kind of (almost even worst) racism that is carefully hidden away until something triggers it. I mean he doesn't say "Klingons suck" or "Vulcans are blergh" - he states that a Klingon would not make a good counselor.

But then, witchhunters like Norah Satie made it to the rank of ADMIRAL, psychopaths like Janeway are given a command (AND later promoted to Admiral), so... Starfleet has its fair share of weirdos who made it through the Academy one way or another, so "why not" a racist like Hobson... (unfortunately)

You're one of the few people I've seen that is fair to Hobson. As you pointed out - most people don't like anyone talking down to their beloved Data. :P But you're right - Hobson didn't have the option of sitting down and watching TNG to see how Data is a good person and an incredible officer. From his point - it's just some robot thing trying to take command. If I was a human that didn't know anything about Data or his history - I too would be like "...what is this?"

But for the record - I want to see a Klingon counselor. Worf and Troi switching for a day.

"I just....I feel the walls are closing in on me."

"You are without honor or courage. Throw yourself out of an airlock and rid us of your dishonor before it spreads like a plague."

"............"

It's hard to believe someone like Hobson made it through Starfleet academy... he probably cringed inwardly whenever an alien walked by him in a hallway.

He warned Harry Kim about Ferengi at the Academy. :P

IMMEDIATE HEADCANON.

And I guess it's just my nature to try and look beyond Hobson's horrible racism. It really only makes things worse that he can probably be a nice guy, too. (If you don't happen to be a Klingon counselor, that is, of course. Or an android who tries to take command.)

I actually don't think he hates aliens per se. His racism strikes me as the kind of (almost even worst) racism that is carefully hidden away until something triggers it. I mean he doesn't say "Klingons suck" or "Vulcans are blergh" - he states that a Klingon would not make a good counselor.

It's kind of like racism here in the US; it's not gone (not by a long shot), it's just gone undercover.People don't use the N-word anymore; they say "thug" (as in "thug music" instead of rap). People won't call Obama an N-word, they'll say he's "muslim" (which he's not, BTW) or "foreign-born" (last I checked, Hawaii was a state). Hobson is one of those people; the kind who can almost 'pass' for decent... because he keeps his racism gently wrapped in euphemisms.

You're one of the few people I've seen that is fair to Hobson. As you pointed out - most people don't like anyone talking down to their beloved Data. :P But you're right - Hobson didn't have the option of sitting down and watching TNG to see how Data is a good person and an incredible officer. From his point - it's just some robot thing trying to take command. If I was a human that didn't know anything about Data or his history - I too would be like "...what is this?"

But for the record - I want to see a Klingon counselor. Worf and Troi switching for a day.

"You are without honor or courage. Throw yourself out of an airlock and rid us of your dishonor before it spreads like a plague."

"............"

I knew it!~ :giggle:

Hobson to Kim: "So, Harry. A word of advice; watch out for the Ferengi. They're all just lying, thieving, pickpockets..."

IMMEDIATE HEADCANON.

Me too!! :thumbup:

You both make really good points. Hobson is one of those prejudiced people who are (oddly enough) nice and loyal and seemingly normal. But as soon as you challenge one of his preconcieved notions - how he really feels is let out. He even tells Data "You're a fellow officer and I respect that...." Like Data is good enough to be an officer but should never be allowed to command "real people".

It's kind of like racism here in the US; it's not gone (not by a long shot), it's just gone undercover.People don't use the N-word anymore; they say "thug" (as in "thug music" instead of rap). People won't call Obama an N-word, they'll say he's "muslim" (which he's not, BTW) or "foreign-born" (last I checked, Hawaii was a state). Hobson is one of those people; the kind who can almost 'pass' for decent... because he keeps his racism gently wrapped in euphemisms.

"............"

I knew it!~ :giggle:

Hobson to Kim: "So, Harry. A word of advice; watch out for the Ferengi. They're all just lying, thieving, pickpockets..."

Hobson to Kim - "By the way - never serve under a female captain. They'll get their ship lost in a heartbeat."

We should make a list of all the pearls of wisdom Hobson made to Kim. :P

IMMEDIATE HEADCANON.

Me too!! :thumbup:

Haha you two crack me up. :)

You both make really good points. Hobson is one of those prejudiced people who are (oddly enough) nice and loyal and seemingly normal. But as soon as you challenge one of his preconcieved notions - how he really feels is let out. He even tells Data "You're a fellow officer and I respect that...." Like Data is good enough to be an officer but should never be allowed to command "real people".

He DOES acknowledge Data at the end by calling him "captain", but that can't make up for all the hideous things he said and did before that...

From his point - it's just some robot thing trying to take command. If I was a human that didn't know anything about Data or his history - I too would be like "...what is this?"

I might, briefly. But once I looked into Data's record to see that he was ruled sentient and that he wasn't someone's M-5-esque experiment. Once I realized that his rank wasn't some honorific...then my duty is to STFU and follow the lawful orders of my CO.

Hobson to Kim - "By the way - never serve under a female captain. They'll get their ship lost in a heartbeat."

Founder~

I would soooo read that thread. :thumbup::laugh:

From his point - it's just some robot thing trying to take command. If I was a human that didn't know anything about Data or his history - I too would be like "...what is this?"

I might, briefly. But once I looked into Data's record to see that he was ruled sentient and that he wasn't someone's M-5-esque experiment. Once I realized that his rank wasn't some honorific...then my duty is to STFU and follow the lawful orders of my CO.

Kinda the same thing Riker does when he first meets Data. He's a bit confused about androids and asks if his rank is honorary and when Data tells him no he's all like "Nice to meet you, Pinocchio" and basically treats him like a human being from there on.

I understand that someone might have concerns about machines serving in Starfleet... but not if that someone resorts to blatant racism in the process.

True, true. I'm surprised Hobson got away with so much. He even ignored Data at one point to his face and issued orders "without consulting his commanding officer". You'd think Data would have relieved him of duty, but then again...

"I understand your concern. Permission denied." haha :P

Founder~

I would soooo read that thread. :thumbup::laugh:

You and me both. :P

Kinda the same thing Riker does when he first meets Data. He's a bit confused about androids and asks if his rank is honorary and when Data tells him no he's all like "Nice to meet you, Pinocchio" and basically treats him like a human being from there on.

I understand that someone might have concerns about machines serving in Starfleet... but not if that someone resorts to blatant racism in the process.

This is true too.

The nerd in me also wonders if that bridge layout was the ship's battle bridge. I imagined the Nebula-class to have a slightly more spacious bridge.

The nerd in me also wonders if that bridge layout was the ship's battle bridge. I imagined the Nebula-class to have a slightly more spacious bridge.

Well the ship itself is tiny and cute (it just looks like as if someone bumped into a Galaxy Class from two directions at the same time and squeezed it together, lol), so, I'd say the bridge is tiny and cute as well. A battle bridge is something that ships have that can separate (or isn't it??? lol)... I'm not sure the Nebula class has that ability... I mean it's so tiny and cute already, why would it have to be able to separate? Did I mention that I think the Nebula class is tiny and cute, yes

Well the ship itself is tiny and cute (it just looks like as if someone bumped into a Galaxy Class from two directions at the same time and squeezed it together, lol), so, I'd say the bridge is tiny and cute as well. A battle bridge is something that ships have that can separate (or isn't it??? lol)... I'm not sure the Nebula class has that ability... I mean it's so tiny and cute already, why would it have to be able to separate? Did I mention that I think the Nebula class is tiny and cute, yes

I haven't watched Red. part 2 for awhile, but didn't Hobson mention there were some sections under repair? Since the Sutherland was rushed into service, maybe they were caught mid-refit. Maybe the main bridge was one of those sections; perhaps they had to relocate in the auxiliary bridge (aka battle bridge; although I don't think the Nebula-class separates, does it?). They had auxiliary control centers as far back as TOS (of course, it TOS it was not so much a bridge as a room with rows of computer banks and a few chairs).

I doubt the Nebula class separates, really. It's too small for that. IMO.

Yes, the Sutherland wasn't fully ready yet, that one's correct. They might just have picked a random room and turned it into an auxiliary control center. It didn't even really have the usual kind of viewscreen, it looks just like some random computer screen on the wall, so, you might be on to something there.

And very nearly leading to a Federation/Klingon split. I wonder how long that Tachyon residue was going to linger on the ships while Hobson stood there, disobeying his orders while berating Data for the same thing.

I doubt the Nebula class separates, really. It's too small for that. IMO.

Yes, the Sutherland wasn't fully ready yet, that one's correct. They might just have picked a random room and turned it into an auxiliary control center. It didn't even really have the usual kind of viewscreen, it looks just like some random computer screen on the wall, so, you might be on to something there.

It just seemed like the Sutherland was undergoing extensive repairs when Data came aboard. And if using some of her systems would cause radiation leakage (?) I assume the repairs were pretty extensive. It's just that the starship bridges we've seen in most 24th century ST seem more 'bridge-ish' than that one (the constraints of budget really showed in the production design).

^ She was. She's one of the ships that Jean-Luc says he wants to add to the fleet, no matter if some yard superintendent says they're not ready.

Sign in to follow this