Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Voyager

Dawn

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   201 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

    • Star Trek: Enterprise
      16
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
      49
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
      0
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
      55
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
      48
    • Star Trek: Voyager
      33
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

    • Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
      10
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
      40
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
      6
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
      22
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
      4
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
      28
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
      11
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
      64
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
      6
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis
      10

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

Dawn

ENT Season 2, Episode 13

WRITTEN BY

John Shiban

DIRECTED BY

Roxann Dawson

First Aired Jan 8, 2003

Mission Date Unknown

Trip is alone on a test mission aboard Shuttlepod One when he is fired upon by an alien and forced to land on the night side of a moon. He discovers his alien foe has also made an emergency landing nearby, and the two nemeses must contend with each other as the extremely hot rising sun threatens their survival.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first time I saw this, I was screaming at the tv for it to end I was so bored. I don't think I have ever been so bored while watching Star Trek in my life. It was the second time because I knew what was going to happen. This gets a 1 because I didn't put a zero on the poll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're kidding?

I know it's a cheap "Darmok" (TNG) rehash, but I loved Trip's attempts to communicate and the huge all-out fist fight!

Eight from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really do seem to have differing opinions don't we! My two least favourite episodes you seem to love lol.

In all honesty, this episode bored me to tears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We really do seem to have differing opinions don't we! My two least favourite episodes you seem to love lol.

In all honesty, this episode bored me to tears.

It's all good, Voyager! At least somebody likes 'em, eh? :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked it too, even though the similarities with Darmok were pretty obvious. I enjoyed this more though, because I couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough to believe in the abstract language. I liked Trip's attempt at communication, and the fight was awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More shirtless Trip scenes! I wonder who's drooling on the couch... :giggle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me! Meeee!! :laugh:

That's the only thing that makes the episode worth watching, I hasten to add. :drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still find this episode boring, but I think 1 was maybe a little harsh. I'll give it a 4. I think when I get really bored is near the end when they get to higher ground and are waiting for rescue, it just seems to drag on forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This epsiode reminds me of the 1985 movie Enemy mine which starred dennis Quaid and Lou gossett jnr which was a good movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This epsiode reminds me of the 1985 movie Enemy mine which starred dennis Quaid and Lou gossett jnr which was a good movie.

Yeah it reminded me of it too. I even though the Arkonian looked a bit like the alien in my memory of the film. It was merely a spin on the stranded on a planet that is dangerous thing. Yes again similarities with Darmok and even Enemy Mine TNG episode with Geordi and the Romulan do detract. That similarity asks for some points to be deducted. I also thought the idea that he was testing automated controls all on his own and far enough away from the ENT was a little dubious. I think had tehy been able to use this ocassion to make a friend would have lifted the story in regards the overall series as it showed their [the humans] ability to make friends, alas not. That said, T'Pol saying that they had managed to do more in a day than the Vulcans had managed in over a century does bode well and was a nice touch.

Because you sorta knew how it was all going to end and not much drama to spike the interest I'm scoring this a 6. Only cause I liked the Arkonian make up and little tidbits about their regenerative spit, their aversion to drinking water, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hey, I actually liked this one, too.  Two in a row!  Is the awfulness over?  Will they be REAL Starfleet officers from here on out?  (It seems unlikely, actually, but the respite is nice while it lasts. :P)

While this episode didn't exactly break any new ground, it was Trekkian in the classic way, and "We need to work TOGETHER in order to survive, dammit!" is a message that's always timely.

I didn't have to shriek "Archer, you idiot" at the screen even once, and I was downright PROUD of Trip! :)

Enterprise does seem to be turning into The Trip Tucker Show, though.  On the one hand, it's understandable, because 1) Trip's character hasn't been destroyed the way Archer's has, and 2) Trinneer is a stronger actor than Bakula and Blalock, so every time they give him a lot to do, he pulls it off.  I can see why the writers love him and want to use him every chance they get.  (Those who thought Scotty didn't get enough love or credit or focus during TOS might enjoy checking out a show where the chief engineer is looking like the breakout character.) 

While I'm happy to see a lot of Trip, it's generally the aliens that I find the most interesting; I definitely want to see more of Phlox, and if Blalock takes a couple of acting classes (too bad Leonard Nimoy wasn't still teaching acting classes in 2002 :inlove:), I'd love to know more about T'Pol.  Well, I would if the writers stop with the "Vulcans are evil because they aren't like us" schtick.

But anyway, another worthwhile episode!  It had moments that reminded me of Kirk's trying to talk Rojan into being friends while engaged in a fistfight with him in "By Any Other Name."  (Every time someone says that Kirk's a hothead who shoots first and thinks later, I think about how much self-control it must take to try to talk someone into friendship while you're hitting each other.)  It looks like Trip can do it, too, and that's pretty damned impressive.

Edited by Corylea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corylea said:

Hey, I actually liked this one, too.  Two in a row!  Is the awfulness over?  Will they be REAL Starfleet officers from here on out?  (It seems unlikely, actually, but the respite is nice while it lasts. :P)

While this episode didn't exactly break any new ground, it was Trekkian in the classic way, and "We need to work TOGETHER in order to survive, dammit!" is a message that's always timely.

I didn't have to shriek "Archer, you idiot" at the screen even once, and I was downright PROUD of Trip! :)

Enterprise does seem to be turning into The Trip Tucker Show, though.  On the one hand, it's understandable, because 1) Trip's character hasn't been destroyed the way Archer's has, and 2) Trinneer is a stronger actor than Bakula and Blalock, so every time they give him a lot to do, he pulls it off.  I can see why the writers love him and want to use him every chance they get.  (Those who thought Scotty didn't get enough love or credit or focus during TOS might enjoy checking out a show where the chief engineer is looking like the breakout character.) 

While I'm happy to see a lot of Trip, it's generally the aliens that I find the most interesting; I definitely want to see more of Phlox, and if Blalock takes a couple of acting classes (too bad Leonard Nimoy wasn't still teaching acting classes in 2002 :inlove:), I'd love to know more about T'Pol.  Well, I would if the writers stop with the "Vulcans are evil because they aren't like us" schtick.

But anyway, another worthwhile episode!  It had moments that reminded me of Kirk's trying to talk Rojan into being friends while engaged in a fistfight with him in "By Any Other Name."  (Every time someone says that Kirk's a hothead who shoots first and thinks later, I think about how much self-control it must take to try to talk someone into friendship while you're hitting each other.)  It looks like Trip can do it, too, and that's pretty damned impressive.

^
This episode reminded me a lot of "Enemy Mine" (the Wolfgang Peterson film of 1985).   And Trip, with his McCoy-ish demeanor, really mines the most out of first contact moments, doesn't he?    So, you're about halfway or more into S2; I think there are couple of really good ones ahead.   I need to break down and pick up S2 on DVD someday.

S3 was the problem child for me.  Its politics (at first glance) seemed little more than a George W. Bush-era justification for the invasion of Iraq.  It seemed (at first) very pro-invasion, and anti-Star Trek.   It literally made give up on the show for awhile, but I came back for S4 and I was very glad that I did!  However, upon reflection and re-watching S3 (inspired by my time on this board, in fact) I found that it had a bit more going on in it than I initially saw.   The post 9/11 influence is obvious (esp. in the earlier episodes) but it has a handful of really good stories as well ("Similitude" is one; "Carpenter Street" and "Azati Prime" are others). 

But it all pales compared to S4; after the first two episodes that wrap up S3, S4 is almost like a complete reboot of the series.  And like I've said, it is one of the most consistently good ST seasons of any series.   Yes, it's that good.   I'm SOOO excited that you're going to be seeing it soon!  :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

I need to break down and pick up S2 on DVD someday.

If you'll PM me your mailing address, I'll arrange for it to show up in your mailbox.  You've been so consistently sweet and kind that I'd love to give you a little present, and this sounds like a highly appropriate one. ;)

 

16 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

S3 was the problem child for me.  Its politics (at first glance) seemed little more than a George W. Bush-era justification for the invasion of Iraq.  It seemed (at first) very pro-invasion, and anti-Star Trek.

Oh, my.  That sounds grim!  I'll be forewarned, then. :ohmy:

 

17 minutes ago, Sehlat Vie said:

But it all pales compared to S4; after the first two episodes that wrap up S3, S4 is almost like a complete reboot of the series.  And like I've said, it is one of the most consistently good ST seasons of any series.   Yes, it's that good.   I'm SOOO excited that you're going to be seeing it soon!  :thumbup:

Well, not THAT soon; there's half of S2 and all of S3 to get through!  But I'll consider this major encouragement to get busy! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Corylea said:

If you'll PM me your mailing address, I'll arrange for it to show up in your mailbox.  You've been so consistently sweet and kind that I'd love to give you a little present, and this sounds like a highly appropriate one. ;)

 

Oh, my.  That sounds grim!  I'll be forewarned, then. :ohmy:

 

Well, not THAT soon; there's half of S2 and all of S3 to get through!  But I'll consider this major encouragement to get busy! :)

 

On your offer?  That's very sweet, but unnecessary; I have a local retailer, but thanks all the same!  :happy:

And yes, S3 might be tough to sit through at times, but ultimately it yields S4 so I'm not complaining.   Also time has been kinder to it.  

Lastly, I look forward to your continued voyages... :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0