Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

The Catwalk

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

208 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

    • Star Trek: Enterprise
      17
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
      52
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
      0
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
      55
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
      50
    • Star Trek: Voyager
      34
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

    • Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
      10
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
      42
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
      7
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
      22
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
      4
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
      29
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
      11
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
      65
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
      7
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis
      11


Recommended Posts

The Catwalk

ENT Season 2, Episode 12

WRITTEN BY

Mike Sussman & Phyllis Strong

DIRECTED BY

Mike Vejar

First Aired Dec 18, 2002

Mission Date Sep 18, 215

When a deadly radioactive storm threatens Enterprise, the entire crew must take refuge for eight days in a small maintenance shaft. As they weather the storm, the crew discovers that alien intruders are trying to steal Enterprise — and may turn the crew's save haven into a death trap in the process.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not much to say about this episode; it's neither good or bad really. I'll give it a 6 for averageness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eight from me: loved it, an interesting concept, great claustrophobia play, cool action sequence too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn't think poor T'Pol was going to make it for a while :laugh:

Yes, having to suffer listening to Archer's water polo can lead one to suicidal tendancies :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eight from me: loved it, an interesting concept, great claustrophobia play, cool action sequence too!

Exactly. In one way, I'd have loved an episode that focused on the characters and coping with the claustrophobia, the tight quarters and lack of creature comforts. I liked how they jury rigged things and that kind of McGyvering approach to problems that cropped up whilst stuck inside would have been great. But of course, we had to have aliens taking over the ship. I guess the fans expect a little excitement and bang for the buck. I'd have been tempted to detract points for it except that it was really well done, with the need for EVAs inside the ship, the time limit they could remain out there, etc. My only jarrign thing was considering the various shaky patches they hit before the action [various turbulences] means to say a lot of the stuff that fell to the floor near the end probably should already have fallen off the racks and what not. ;)

However, I really liked the episode. It felt different and had some unusual ways of dealing with things - using the catwalks etc. Not to mention exploring more great set pieces of the ENT a greatly designed interior of a ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eight from me: loved it, an interesting concept, great claustrophobia play, cool action sequence too!

Same here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite an innovative way of getting round a stellar anomaly when you haven't got luxuries such as a faster warp drive or shields to call upon to get away from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I actually liked this one, probably because the crew seemed like professional Starfleet officers for a change, and not a bunch of high school students on a field trip.

They discussed a problem, came up with a workable approach to the problem, and implemented the solution.  Then when the aliens took over the ship, Archer pulled a Kirk and threatened to destroy it rather than let the aliens have it, almost as if he were an actual Starfleet captain. :P 

Plus, the storm was gorgeous, and it felt like early space travel in a good and believable way, rather than by making the captain an idiot.

Whew! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Corylea said:

Hey, I actually liked this one, probably because the crew seemed like professional Starfleet officers for a change, and not a bunch of high school students on a field trip.

They discussed a problem, came up with a workable approach to the problem, and implemented the solution.  Then when the aliens took over the ship, Archer pulled a Kirk and threatened to destroy it rather than let the aliens have it, almost as if he were an actual Starfleet captain. :P 

Plus, the storm was gorgeous, and it felt like early space travel in a good and believable way, rather than by making the captain an idiot.

Whew! :)

 

There are a few gems like this, even in the first three seasons.  ENT was a series with great potential, and occasionally there were episodes in those earlier seasons that showcased it. 

For the record, I liked "Catwalk" too; it was one of those times where the ship truly felt somewhat 'lower tech' than her 23rd and 24th century descendants.

I got the feeling that if Picard had encountered that same phenomenon in the Enterprise-D, he would've just ordered Data to remodulate the harmonic wavelengths along the shield emitters, blah, blah, blah and the ship could've cruised right through it.  But to the NX-01, it was still a problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sehlat Vie said:

There are a few gems like this, even in the first three seasons.  ENT was a series with great potential, and occasionally there were episodes in those earlier seasons that showcased it. 

For the record, I liked "Catwalk" too; it was one of those times where the ship truly felt somewhat 'lower tech' than her 23rd and 24th century descendants.

I got the feeling that if Picard had encountered that same phenomenon in the Enterprise-D, he would've just ordered Data to remodulate the harmonic wavelengths along the shield emitters, blah, blah, blah and the ship could've cruised right through it.  But to the NX-01, it was still a problem.  

Well, it's the data that the NX-01 is gathering now that will enable the builders of future starships to know what their ships have to be able to withstand.  I mean, who knew there even WERE storms in space?  "Storm" sounds like something you'd need an atmosphere for. :laugh: 

And yes, I like it when they make this feel like humankind's first foray into space in a realistic way, instead of by making everybody an idiot.  More of that "Gee, whiz, isn't space COOL" and less of that "We rush blindly into danger without thinking and take everyone at face value even when shadiness is oozing from their very pores," please! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Corylea said:

Well, it's the data that the NX-01 is gathering now that will enable the builders of future starships to know what their ships have to be able to withstand.  I mean, who knew there even WERE storms in space?  "Storm" sounds like something you'd need an atmosphere for. :laugh: 

And yes, I like it when they make this feel like humankind's first foray into space in a realistic way, instead of by making everybody an idiot.  More of that "Gee, whiz, isn't space COOL" and less of that "We rush blindly into danger without thinking and take everyone at face value even when shadiness is oozing from their very pores," please! :)

 

Storms in space...ah, that old staple of ST storytelling; from "Where No Man Has Gone Before" to ST09.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this