Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Voyager

Dead Stop

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie   201 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 posts in this topic

Dead Stop

ENT Season 2, Episode 4

WRITTEN BY

Michael Sussman & Phyllis Strong

DIRECTED BY

Roxann Dawson

First Aired Oct 9, 2002

Mission Date Unknown

Enterprise, in desperate need of extensive repairs, docks with a mysterious, high-tech, automated space station that inexplicably and amazingly fixes everything, making it almost too good to be true. While waiting for the repairs to be completed, the Enterprise crew searches the unmanned space station and discovers its unique and horrifying power source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked that everything wasn't reset and back to normal after 'Minefield' and that there was a follow up after it, but I would have liked to have known a little bit more about how those abdcutees helped run the station, etc. I give it an 8.

Nine from me. My only question: who built that stardock, and why? Loved the sinister ending, though... bad stardock! :biggrin:

Oh, and Travis is seen topless. :inlove:

I have a niggle in the back of my mind that they know nothing about the station yet just fly in almost blind hoping for the best.

I have a niggle in the back of my mind that they know nothing about the station yet just fly in almost blind hoping for the best.

I think it's a mixture of desperation and hope. At each stage, they hope to find somebody to talk to. Docking... walking to the control centre... even Malcolm and Trip going on their own little adventure is filled with hope of finding some controlling influence to converse with. Still, repairs are repairs and they need them. Not to mention, as a final thought, that Archer and Co. are explorers!

I liked it, and both of us here saw that ending coming. Kinda reminded me of the Replicaters from SG1.

Nine from me. My only question: who built that stardock, and why? Loved the sinister ending, though... bad stardock! :biggrin:

I thought it was the Tellerites

I thought it was the Tellerites

No no! It was a Tellerite trader who gave Enterprise the co-ordinates for the stardock, but that was either A: a passing trader who gave Enterprise a good reference, or B: a false Tellerite signal sent out by the stardock to lure new ships into their trap. While it's open to interpretation, the stardock was MOST DEFINITELY not constructed by the Tellerites. Without giving anything away, the Tellerites show up later in Enterprise... they didn't build it, trust me!

^ My thoughts were that they built it and were 'innocently' suggesting it, but if they show up later and clearly didn't make it that's fair enough. I just Find it weird that they would recommend it, considering that if they used it, a member of their crew was probably abducted or 'killed'. Then again they would have just thought that that was due to an accident of their crewman being is a restricted zone I guess.

^ My thoughts were that they built it and were 'innocently' suggesting it, but if they show up later and clearly didn't make it that's fair enough. I just Find it weird that they would recommend it, considering that if they used it, a member of their crew was probably abducted or 'killed'. Then again they would have just thought that that was due to an accident of their crewman being is a restricted zone I guess.

Probably. I mean, so many aliens are in that chamber... accidents can happen. It's human curiosity and drive that meant Archer investigated. :biggrin:

I was under the impression that the Tellarites just used it like most other species - and unwittingly lost crewmembers...There was a Tellarite hanging from those "coma" like wires after all.

The builders of the device were never revealed. I liked it that way.

But there was something unnatural about the script and Archer's hesitancy about it at the beginning - something more needed to happen to give Archer that feeling and I think it was missing. But as the episode moved forward it made sense. Due to script weakness in the first 20 minutes - it gets a 6. I don't like having to warm up to episodes, I like being sucked in.

Hey - minds out of the gutter. :)

Hey - minds out of the gutter. :)

You first! ;)

This episode was okay. I agree about the weak beginning, I was expecting more really. Not bad, just...not great.

Shades of The Matrix here, although I must say Enterprise did it better. A human brain working full out expends the equivalent about 60 watts, enough to drive a medium-bright lightbulb, but here they used the brains as a processor instead. Now, that made a lot more sense.

Liked seeing technology that the Federation will eventually have, such as the replicator. I also liked the ending, it was cool that they first blew up the station, and then told the viewers that the rest of those organic information processors were too far gone to save. And yeah, a bonus point for topless Travis. ;)

Actually, this one was kind of creepy. I watched it again on HDNet about a year or two ago, and it kind of freaked me out. I loved the "Stanley Kubrick-2001: A Space Odyssey" look of the automated spacedock. And the insistent computer voice was a bit reminiscent of HAL9000 (another 2001 reference; even if differently gendered). And the 'price' they had to pay for the repairs was kind of creepy too. Reminded me of the 1976 movie "Coma" where living organ donors were suspended from wires in a giant warehouse. It also cleverly bypasses the whole 'how did they go so long without stopping for repairs' issue. Seems the automated spacedock set them back to factory specs. Too bad Voyager never encountered one of these; it would've helped that show's credibility gap (with the ship always looking so perfect).

Again, I'm not a huge fan of ENT's first few seasons, but this episode (like "Broken Bow" "Andorian Incident" or "First Flight") is one of the exceptions; I give it an 8. ;)

Edited by Sehlat Vie

One of my favorites. The episode rises many questions as to techs, morality, friendship, etc. Capt even made me blink several times when reprehending Trip & Malcolm.

While I commend the continuity between this episode and the last (i.e. the ship is actually still damaged), in the end it's still just one gigantic reset button to make everything nice and shiny and new again. Once again Travis is important only by his absence, and once again they invent/encounter a staple of twenty-fourth century technology.

High point - Travis with no shirt on. He must've spent more time in the gym than on set.

I still love this one because it creeps me out; and the computer voice & station interior remind me of my favorite movie, "2001: A Space Odyssey." I also liked the incongruous (but effective) horror element with Travis.

Yes, it IS a reset button; but at least it takes a longer, creepier more intriguing way out than VGR's "a wizard did it" approach....

I stand by my 8. ;-)

I too enjoy this episode, despite as GD says, it is ultimately a reset button for the technology. But as SV said, at least you see how they got repaired unlike...you know who...

I also love that it showed a Cardassian corpse - nice nod to DS9 without messing up continuity.

"Minefield" and this episode were the first eps of Enterprise that I actually watched so they stick out in my mind when I think about the show. I liked the creepiness factor of the show, especially the ending. I gave it an 8.

I really enjoy this episode. One of the best ENT episodes for me.

The good:

- Archer being suspicious. Sometimes things are just TOO good to be true. Besides, I'd be suspicious of replicators as well.

- That scene in which Tucker and Reed end up on the bridge because they were sneaking around. T'POL'S FACE. "Evenin', Subcommander." LMFAO oh god I lol'd.

- Speaking of which, I love how Archer dresses them down for their little mission. HRRRRR JOB BB I LOVE IT WHEN YOU'RE BEING SERIOUS and I also love how he PWNS Reed, what with his 'discipline is too lax aboard this ship' crap and now he himself is the one who gets involved in unauthorized side missions. SERVES YOU RIGHT. Mmm Jonathan Archer btw did I mention that I love it when he's SRS BSNS and in captain's mode

- ALSO. TRAVIS. MY POOR TRAVIS. Everyone's horror when they think he's dead. Awwwwww. NO! AND ARCHER'S FACE WHEN PHLOX TELLS HIM THAT TRAVIS IS DEAD. I CAN'T. I LOVE TRAVIS.

- THAT CREEPY STATION THING and that they never reveal who built it. FAN FICTION HERE WE COME.

The bad:

- I can't think of a single thing. This is rare.

Anyways. This one gets the highest rating an ENT, TOS, DS9 or VOY episode can reach, which is 9/10. WELL DONE ENT, MUCH APPROVE, SUCH AWESOME, VERY EPISODE, WOW.

Favorite quote of the moment award for this episode goes to T'Pol, for her "This facility may have the knowledge to repair Mr. Reed as well." HER FACE WHEN SHE SAYS THAT OH GOD T'POL CAN U NOT

Watched this one again the other day. Very good. The station starting to put itself back together at the end is creepy. Those of you saying they liked the computer voice do realize that was Roxanne Dawson (who also directed).

On 7/20/2017 at 3:16 PM, John32070 said:

Watched this one again the other day. Very good. The station starting to put itself back together at the end is creepy. Those of you saying they liked the computer voice do realize that was Roxanne Dawson (who also directed).

One of my favorites of S2.   I like it almost as much as “Carbon Creek” (which wins for me, because I love Vulcans so much).

On 7/20/2017 at 5:16 PM, John32070 said:

Dawson's directorial work on Trek was always solid.

A good episode and I do like that it's a soft part two for "Minefield.," which is also a pretty darn good episode.

3 hours ago, prometheus59650 said:

Dawson's directorial work on Trek was always solid.

A good episode and I do like that it's a soft part two for "Minefield.," which is also a pretty darn good episode.

I liked "Minefield" as well; definitely another highlight of S2. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0