Sign in to follow this  
Voyager

Rogue Planet

Favorite Overall Trek Series/Movie  

205 members have voted

1. 1. What is your overall favorite Star Trek series?

• Star Trek: Enterprise
    • Star Trek: The Original Series
    • Star Trek: The Animated Series
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
    • Star Trek: Voyager
  2. 2. What is your overall favorite Star Trek movie?

• Star Trek - I: The Motion Picture
    • Star Trek - II: The Wrath of Khan
    • Star Trek - III: The Search for Spock
    • Star Trek - IV: The Voyage Home
    • Star Trek - V: The Final Frontier
    • Star Trek - VI: The Undiscovered Country
    • Star Trek - VII: Generations
    • Star Trek - VIII: First Contact
    • Star Trek - IX: Insurrection
    • Star Trek - X: Nemesis

Voyager   

Rogue Planet

ENT Season 1, Episode 18

TELEPLAY BY

Chris Black

STORY BY

Rick Berman & Brannon Braga

and Chris Black

DIRECTED BY

Allan Kroeker

First Aired Mar 20, 2002

Mission Date Unknown

While exploring an uncharted planet, the Enterprise crew members encounter a group of aliens who are hunting down indigenous creatures for recreation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it wasn't for one major episode this episode would be okay. The planet has no sun, it should be an ice planet and humanoid life should not be able to survive. I give the episode a 4.

maneth   

Interesting ep if you ignore the lack of sun. It did stretch my suspension of disbelief a bit too much...

Voyager   

Re-watched it. Although I am still irritated by the fact that there is plant life, the story itself is quite interesting, so I'll up my score to a 6.

The planet's geothermal properties were referenced numerous times in the episode, so that's why it's not an ice planet. As for plant life, that's not impossible. Even on Earth there are types of non-photosynthetic plants beneath the ocean where it's completely dark.

This episode is alright... the random-woman-of-the-week bored me, though. I'll give it a 5.

Voyager   

The planet's geothermal properties were referenced numerous times in the episode, so that's why it's not an ice planet. As for plant life, that's not impossible. Even on Earth there are types of non-photosynthetic plants beneath the ocean where it's completely dark.

This episode is alright... the random-woman-of-the-week bored me, though. I'll give it a 5.

The thing about the geothermal energy is why I didn't question there being animal life, but even non-photosynethetic plants, I doubt would be able to grow into tall trees. The reason trees grow tall in the first place is so they can reach as much sunlight as they can.

Okay, so I kinda forced myself through this episode (I remembered detesting it)... and ugh, it did not get any better.

I detest hunting for sports. DETEST IT. And I find it HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE that they never really address this issue and are in fact all over the idea of hunting innocent animals UNTIL they learn that the aliens are hunting Founders shapeshifters. THEN it's bad all of a sudden. But innocent animals can be hunted. Of course. What even. NO? No. That's all I'm gonna say on this issue. And OF COURSE Reed is all over the whole hunting thing. (Yet another reason for me to loathe him.) How stereotypical can this guy get?

Anyways. What else is there to say? Archer runs after some scantily-dressed woman (I love T'Pol's remark about wondering whether he'd run after a MAN like this, too, AND THE LOOK ON HIS FACE, he's all like I MIGHT YOU JUST WATCH ME T'POL) and some lame Hirogen-like aliens hunt for sports, the Enterprise is barely even mentioned and the episode just looks and sounds like one of these countless dreadful Voyager episodes.

Amusingly enough, I just had a look at Memory Alpha and it ACTUALLY SAID that this episode has "unused Chakotay plot" written all over it, LOOOOL, I wasn't that far off with my analysis.

Which is all this episode is. An unused Chakotay plot. It certainly feels that way. Which is why I found it tedious, boring, typically Voyager. Sorry ENT, but you can do better than that. Especially you, Jon, bb. I feel like as if I'm too generous when I give this one a 2/10.

The favorite quote of the moment for this one goes to the only REALLY nice scene - the slashy beginning when Tucker tries to take a picture of Archer in his chair. "Captain Archer in command." "Give it a rest, Trip." HRHRHRHRHR

Okay, so I kinda forced myself through this episode (I remembered detesting it)... and ugh, it did not get any better.

I detest hunting for sports. DETEST IT. And I find it HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE that they never really address this issue and are in fact all over the idea of hunting innocent animals UNTIL they learn that the aliens are hunting Founders shapeshifters. THEN it's bad all of a sudden. But innocent animals can be hunted. Of course. What even. NO? No. That's all I'm gonna say on this issue. And OF COURSE Reed is all over the whole hunting thing. (Yet another reason for me to loathe him.) How stereotypical can this guy get?

Anyways. What else is there to say? Archer runs after some scantily-dressed woman (I love T'Pol's remark about wondering whether he'd run after a MAN like this, too, AND THE LOOK ON HIS FACE, he's all like I MIGHT YOU JUST WATCH ME T'POL) and some lame Hirogen-like aliens hunt for sports, the Enterprise is barely even mentioned and the episode just looks and sounds like one of these countless dreadful Voyager episodes.

Amusingly enough, I just had a look at Memory Alpha and it ACTUALLY SAID that this episode has "unused Chakotay plot" written all over it, LOOOOL, I wasn't that far off with my analysis.

Which is all this episode is. An unused Chakotay plot. It certainly feels that way. Which is why I found it tedious, boring, typically Voyager. Sorry ENT, but you can do better than that. Especially you, Jon, bb. I feel like as if I'm too generous when I give this one a 2/10.

The favorite quote of the moment for this one goes to the only REALLY nice scene - the slashy beginning when Tucker tries to take a picture of Archer in his chair. "Captain Archer in command." "Give it a rest, Trip." HRHRHRHRHR

I give this one a 4.

I like what it tried to say about the immorality of hunting for sport, but I guess that only applies to sentient prey who can appear as beautiful women, right? Oh, Bermaga, Bermaga, Bermaga... what are we gonna do with you? You still subscribe to the primitive "damsel in distress' approach.

Bermaga could've grown a pair and taken TOS' "Devil in the Dark" approach; with an ugly, non-humanoid life form (with seemingly no redeeming qualities) who becomes sympathetic once you understand it's plight. Yes, I know they kind of did that at the end, but not before Archer got his mental rocks off with the creature...

ew.gif

And yes, it had unused Chakotay plot written all over it; so help me, I could almost see Robert Beltran's footprints in the dirt...

Oh, and the idea of a rogue planet being class M just by geothermal energy alone (and NO sunlight) is just so much bubkes.

The science nerd in me just does this...

i-object-to-you.gif

Even I was confused for a moment about how a planet can have plants when it's always dark, and THAT says something, given how generally mostly uninterested I am in this sort of thing. lol

But yeah. The damsel in distress trope. It won't EVER be left where it belongs - in a huge locked closet that has the words "don't open, sexism inside" on it.

Even I was confused for a moment about how a planet can have plants when it's always dark, and THAT says something, given how generally mostly uninterested I am in this sort of thing. lol

But yeah. The damsel in distress trope. It won't EVER be left where it belongs - in a huge locked closet that has the words "don't open, sexism inside" on it.

You'd think that trope died the day "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" came on the scene... ugh.

~ le sigh ~

no-def-not.gif

Bermaga, Bermaga, Bermaga....

scenario   

I seem to like this episode more than many here do. I'd give it a 7.

First, I didn't have much problem with a living rogue planet. Start with an Earth sized water world that gets thrown out of its system. If you start with an earth size world but give it 10 times more radioactive elements you get a lot of volcanos.But change the composition of the crust that you get more yellowstone type volcanos. No nice tall cones. More like explosions that slowly build continent size pits with tall walls. After a few hundred thousand years in deep space the large pits end up with constantly boiling water surrounding volcanic vents and cooler life supporting water further away. Around these vents are the land. The air is trapped in multiple continent size bowls. Enter a second world with advanced life growing on a world surrounding a very dim star with a 6 month day with little light and a 6 month very cold night when everything freezes over. A huge asteroid hits blowing huge chunks of the planet into space. Rogue world travels through the debris and picks up ready made multicellular life. 

The plants live by chemosynthesis. They are treelike because they get much of their nutrients from the air not the ground. 

Hunting is interesting. This is a classic prime directive situation. Hunting is not approved of on Earth at this time but does Earth have the right to impose its values on another world? I can see where another race would look at how people now on the Earth raise animals for meat and be appalled. We keep animals in small boxes and force feed them so we can kill them. People have lost all connection with the land. I can see a people who believe that if you want to eat meat the only moral thing to do is to let the animals live free. You should hunt,  kill and prepare them yourself. They leave 90% of their planet as open spaces and hunting preserves. The people choose to live in the boxes and the animals are allowed to be free. The environment is carefully taken care of. If you have to hunt and kill animals yourself if you want to eat meat, you learn to respect the animals and the land that they live on. Hunting is respected because it gives meaning to life. The circle of life is not just a saying, it's something that people deeply feel. Hunting is a religion and a core value to these people. It gives meaning to their lives. 

The last thing is why do people assume that the woman is intelligent. When I watched the show, my impression was that the telepath was an intelligent hunting animal like a wolf. They are ambush hunters. They use their telepathy to lure animals into range so they can catch them. Sometimes they work together to hunt larger animals and sometimes they hunt alone. When they were being hunted themselves, their first response was to use their abilities to hunt back when they couldn't hide as any cornered animal would. But now those abilities aren't working. They sensed that humans were different. They couldn't read minds or understand thoughts but they could feel and understand emotions. They stimulated the appropriate parts of Archers mind and his mind manufactured the beautiful woman in distress. The telepath didn't talk to Archer it just sent its needs and desires into Archers brain and Archers mind created the conversation. The telepath could use what it was given because it could see pictures in Archers mind. It didn't have a clue why it worked or how it just knew how to use it. A dog can press a lever to get food but that doesn't mean it really understand what it is doing beyond the obvious. 

The big question in my mind is what is intelligence? These telepaths seem intelligent but are they? They only talked to Archer because if they talked to more than one person at a time, each person's mind would make up a different story. The beautiful woman in distress appealed to Archer. T'Pol would have seen some sort of logical argument rather than the emotional appeal that Archer saw. When the various people realized that they all saw and heard wildly different things it would have set off alarm bells.

Sign in to follow this