Sign in to follow this  
Sherlock Holmes

JJ Has really turned me against him now

Well, JJ Abrams has really P!$$3D me off. This is what he told Empire -

"I think that what this movie's bringing is a remarkable new and energetic young cast and a treatment of the world of Star Trek that I think is as intimate as the story is massive in scope. This is a treatment of Star Trek with action and comedy and romance and adventure, as opposed to a rather talky geekfest."

Now this is really insulting. Really really insulting.

Yes JJ, dumb down star trek to your level, because, from what i can tell, your interlect isn't up to par with ours. (Yes herbiez, i am vocally attacking JJ.).

He also told empire kirk is spying on Uhura as she undresses. So what happens? "Oh Jim you bad boy!!' she strips him and has sex with him?

Oh lord, my head is about to explode. I am so really mad at what they have done to the legacy.

Insubordination, Abrams, ever heard of it? :rolleyes:

Blasphemy! *sprinkles trek holy water blessed by St. Kirk, St. Spock and St. McCoy* the power of Gene compels you, the power of Gene compels you! :soapbox:

Why? Just...just why!? I mean... *sigh*

<rant>

You've really done it now, Abrams. This is how you honor the franchise? By lowering the standards of Trek to a new crowd that doesn't have brain one? This is exactly like what I said before: When going to see this, leave your brain at the door, buy your oversized popcorn and drool over the glitzy CGI, naked Uhura, young space hunks and action sequences.

"...as opposed to a rather talky geekfest," Abrams? Really? Is that what the Trek films of old have amounted to you? Nothing more than talky geekfests? Well then, sir...may I say that you have just lost your biggest demographic audience for this film. I am literally sickened with you and your re-boot nonsense! Either do Trek justice, or just leave it alone!

</rant>

This is absolutely ridiculous, I don't watch Trek for s*x and stupidity. I go to Trek to get FAR AWAY from both.

My friend came up to me and said today "Omg, I saw the new Star Trek commercial and there were some dirty things in there!" Me and my Trek friends told her that wasn't what we liked or wanted in Trek. "Well Star Trek will always be geeky." she said, and if THAT is being taken away from me, you can be sure I won't be happy with the new movie. AND it's that kind of quote and beliefs that annoy the h*ll outta me.

SLWalker   

Eh, I'm honestly surprised that anyone expected anything better of JJ. Seriously, look at his film credits. Actually sit down and look at what he's done, and then ask if any of those required all that much intelligence.

I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape if someone associates Trek with Geek. So what, we're geeks. Woo. Oughta be more self-confident than to get so bent-out-of-shape over a throwaway comment. Being called a geek mattered back in, like, third grade. Doesn't so much now, does it? Shouldn't. You like what you like and to hell with the world. I love Trek, I'm excited about the movie, and I don't really care about the personal beliefs of its director. Liking or agreeing with the subject about which you're making a movie isn't a prerequisite for making said movie.

SLWalker   
I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape if someone associates Trek with Geek. So what, we're geeks. Woo. Oughta be more self-confident than to get so bent-out-of-shape over a throwaway comment. Being called a geek mattered back in, like, third grade. Doesn't so much now, does it? Shouldn't. You like what you like and to hell with the world. I love Trek, I'm excited about the movie, and I don't really care about the personal beliefs of its director. Liking or agreeing with the subject about which you're making a movie isn't a prerequisite for making said movie.

::petpets:: Okay.

Its Elementary My dear Watson.

(sorry i couldnt resist anylonger)

Anyways Those people at trekweb are practically worshipping JJ.

LOL! Heard it a million times. But yeah, you noticed that too? This place is the politest Trek board on the web, and one of the least censored. We might argue, but we're mostly all friends at the end of the day. Over there, it's a bloodbath.

SLWalker   
You really couldn't have come up with anything better?

Nah, I figured, "Why bother?" You've made your point. You like it. Good for you, have a cookie. It was obviously meant to be insulting (how dare anyone not like what JJ said?! How dare they find it insulting?!) right along with Shatner's 'Get a life' comment. Except, he at least did it on SNL where a lot of folks (admittedly not all) realized it was a joke. Yours wasn't.

Liking or agreeing with the subject about which you're making a movie isn't a prerequisite for making said movie.

Ask Stuart Baird, my dear. ;)

SLWalker   
Ask Stuart Baird, my dear. ;)

Wow, I hadn't even bothered to read to the last line. Good answer, though.

Wow. Damn. That is... some impressively trollish thinking. Crap, I sure hope that doctors and nurses never get that idea into their heads. "I really hate my f-ing job, I hate people, c'mere and let me work on your ill body..."

This will keep me laughing for hours. Thanks!

trekfan   
Well, JJ Abrams has really P!$$3D me off. This is what he told Empire -

Now this is really insulting. Really really insulting.

Yes JJ, dumb down star trek to your level, because, from what i can tell, your interlect isn't up to par with ours. (Yes herbiez, i am vocally attacking JJ.).

He also told empire kirk is spying on Uhura as she undresses. So what happens? "Oh Jim you bad boy!!' she strips him and has sex with him?

Oh lord, my head is about to explode. I am so really mad at what they have done to the legacy.

Is it really that big of a deal? I don't think so.

Let's face it, trek has been known for it's use of massive technobabble in the past. If you put an episode of TNG, VOY, or DS9 in front of someone and asked them to explain what warp drive, photon torpedoes, phasers, inertial dampeners, shields, multiphasic shielding, saucer separation (admittedly kinda self explanatory), plasma injectors, dilithium, matter antimatter drive, and an EMP, do you think an average person can?

More likely than not, no. Star Trek was never about technobabble, and it's a trap that many trek writers fall into.

Nonetheless, geekfest? Really JJ? Seriously? Is there anything more....ummm....tactful you can say?

The man needs to choose his words more carefully. Seriously, is his viral campaign to alienate all previous trek fans (not to be confused with trekfan :) ) and just have an audience full of new folks? JJ, take a flinstone, eat some fish, do something to increase the neurons going through your brain. Please.

His point that Trek has indeed been full of technobabble is valid. Just not made in the best way. He's tactless, and perhaps full of himself. But before I do a postmortem on this movie, let's see if it actually pulls through first.

My thoughts.

Ael   

My God...Im almost ready to cry.. :confused:

What a bunch of crap.

*runs farther away from the new movie*

For the love of pie, dont let this guy anywhere near a new series!

Well i am so POed at him right now. I am gonna launch that personal insult against JJ that Herbiez scolded me for now. But I got to say it. JJ Abrams looks like Egon Spangler. (from Ghostbusters). If he has the nerve to call Trek a geekfest, he should look in the mirror.

Technobabble shows the intellegence of star trek. All based on real scientific theories.

Whats a plasma injector do? Well, whats does a feul injector do? It injects feul into the engine. Plasma injector injects plasma into the warp engine.

Whats an Antimatter Injector? Same thing as a Deuterium Injector (which both are on opposite ends of the warp core) . They inject Matter (Deuterium) and Antimatter (Anti-hydrogen) into the intermix chamber (The reactor). Because of this Abrams calls Star Trek A Geekfest. So whats it gonna be?

Scotty: Cap'n the Rocketfuel is overheating the engineblock, its gonna blow and blow us all up! Capn, if i push these Rockets too hard they are gonna go plooey!!!

Capn, we cant replace our feul. The nearest starbase is 20 billion miles away. We only get 10 million miles a gallon, and we only got 2 gallons left.

Now, if hes not referring to the Technobabble, whats he referring to? The diplomacy? Isnt that Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future? Isnt the theme of star trek been that humanity over comes things (Most of the time) Peacfully with diplomacy?

Abrams is being comepletly blasphamous to everything Star Trek Stands for then.

I see this is being what Joel Shumacher did to Batman. Take something Good and make it a dumb down adventure.

LEONARD NIMOY- i cant believe he'd speak of something like this. Is it possible the man is getting senile? or just despirate for money and a role?

trekfan   
Well i am so POed at him right now. I am gonna launch that personal insult against JJ that Herbiez scolded me for now. But I got to say it. JJ Abrams looks like Egon Spangler. (from Ghostbusters). If he has the nerve to call Trek a geekfest, he should look in the mirror.

Technobabble shows the intellegence of star trek. All based on real scientific theories.

Whats a plasma injector do? Well, whats does a feul injector do? It injects feul into the engine. Plasma injector injects plasma into the warp engine.

Whats an Antimatter Injector? Same thing as a Deuterium Injector (which both are on opposite ends of the warp core) . They inject Matter (Deuterium) and Antimatter (Anti-hydrogen) into the intermix chamber (The reactor). Because of this Abrams calls Star Trek A Geekfest. So whats it gonna be?

Scotty: Cap'n the Rocketfuel is overheating the engineblock, its gonna blow and blow us all up! Capn, if i push these Rockets too hard they are gonna go plooey!!!

Capn, we cant replace our feul. The nearest starbase is 20 billion miles away. We only get 10 million miles a gallon, and we only got 2 gallons left.

Now, if hes not referring to the Technobabble, whats he referring to? The diplomacy? Isnt that Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future? Isnt the theme of star trek been that humanity over comes things (Most of the time) Peacfully with diplomacy?

Abrams is being comepletly blasphamous to everything Star Trek Stands for then.

I see this is being what Joel Shumacher did to Batman. Take something Good and make it a dumb down adventure.

LEONARD NIMOY- i cant believe he'd speak of something like this. Is it possible the man is getting senile? or just despirate for money and a role?

I honestly believes he speaks of the technobabble. I think the main reason he choose the TOS era is to avoid the peaceful diplomacy of TNG, because the peaceful diplomacy no longer is the main focus of our world today. The US is involved in conflicts in the Middle East, as well as a financial meltdown, and TOS would be the era I'd choose to reflect the world of today.

^is that the real reason I think he chose it? NO. It's the reason I hope it is, but more likely than not he figured TOS was a better idea than trying to recast TNG. Plus he seems like a big fan of Kirk's "Cowboy diplomacy" and the TOS Kirk gets girl in every episode mentality.

Now, as to why Nimoy signed on? Hopefully because he thought this was a good script. I really, really hope that all the junk we saw in the trailer is only a very small part of the movie, as I think character dev is the main focus of this thing. At least, I hope it is. I really want to see some characters get explored here.

Will I? Probably not from the look of it. But I'll see this movie, if at the very least just so I can rightfully damn it if it indeed goes against everything Trek is.

I sincerly hope it does not come to that though.

The original Trek was about discovering new lifeforms, new worlds...all that jazz. Anything new in this movie? Nope! No new worlds, no peaceful diplomacy, no utopic ideals...just glitz and tits.

SLWalker   

Well, I've never been a proponent of technobabble. Scotty usually left it at, "Keep this up, and we'll blow up!" But even then, TOS's science was smart enough that they used to get fan-letters from NASA. Somehow, I doubt JJ's Trek will appeal to those kinds of intelligent people.

...as opposed to a rather talky geekfest

Anyone ever heard the term "technobable?" Anyone? Anyone?

Some of you are waaaaaay too serious about this whole thing. Of course I'm one of those Trek fans who laughed when Shatner did his famous "get a life" skit on SNL 22 years ago, as opposed to the one's who got all butt-hurt over it, but whatever.

:WarBird:

seane   
geeky talkfest

WTF! - ok that's it he's gone TOO far this time!!!

lets chase him down, and, and, and... stick him in front of a CANNON! and and then fill the cannon with all the star trek tapes and DVD's we can find and then fire the cannon at him....and, and... when we do, we'll say to him just as the cannon goes off... is that enough 'canon' for you NOW abrams!!!!!!!!

gawd...

So Star Trek has been completely devoid of action, romance, adventure etc up will now?

WW3. Romulan War. Klingon Cold War. Dominion War. Borg attacks. Centre of the Galaxy. Delta Quadrant. Gamma Quadrant. All the women Kirk and Picard got. Riker and Troi. Troi and Worf. Worf and Jadzia. Worf and Ezri. Ezri and Bashir. O'Brien and Keiko. Rom and Leeta. Paris and Torres. Chokotay and Seven. Archer and his conquests. Trip and T'Pol (for some reason).

Yeh, I can see what he means. :crazy:

Hmm...

I'm still gonna go see it.

Sign in to follow this