Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Sarek

Yeah I know, everyone's always in love with Spock. I sometimes get a few REALLY weird looks when I say "Spock's fine but his DAD is much sexier". I really find Sarek to be quite interesting in THAT way.

Well the more Sexy Sarek fans the better. :P

Sexy Sarek ... I can see the music video of it on Youtube any minute now. Maybe a gif with Sarek disco dancing. :laugh:

We'd probably be the only ones who'd appreciate it, though. ;)

That's 'cause we're twisted... :P:laugh:

I finally saw "Sarek" for the first time.*  I'm SO glad I waited until the first season of Discovery was over to watch it!  Man, Mark Lenard has more gravitas in his little finger than James Frain has in his whole body.  I realize that a Vulcan is hard to play, and I'm sure Mr. Frain is doing the best he can.  But damn, Lenard was incredible!

(It's really starting to look like Sehlat Vie's alternate universe theory is correct, because seeing the Prime Sarek again ... Discovery's Sarek is SO not the same guy!)

And Patrick Stewart was wonderful in the feeling-all-Sarek's-emotions scene.  Yes, of course your human wives knew you loved them.  Silly Sarek!  But does that mean that Sarek never melded with his human wives, not once in many decades of marriage?  Or did Picard just assume that they'd never melded?  Because if *I* were married to a Vulcan, you can be damned sure I'd have asked for at least one meld!

There was a serving of Star Trek cheese in there somewhere, but it was still a very fine episode.

* (I'll remind those of you who don't remember me that I lived in a TV-free household for a couple of decades, so although I first saw TOS during its summer reruns in 1969 and have adored it since then, I'm just now working my way through other Star Treks.  I've seen the first 7 episodes of TNG, the first two seasons of VOY, the first season and a half of ENT, and I'm saving DS9 to watch with my husband, who claims he'll watch it with me but hasn't yet)

Edited by Corylea

7 minutes ago, Corylea said:

I finally saw "Sarek" for the first time.*  I'm SO glad I waited until the first season of Discovery was over to watch it!  Man, Mark Lenard has more gravitas in his little finger than James Frain has in his whole body.  I realize that a Vulcan is hard to play, and I'm sure Mr. Frain is doing the best he can.  But damn, Lenard was incredible!

(It's really starting to look like Sehlat Vie's alternate universe theory is correct, because seeing the Prime Sarek again ... Discovery's Sarek is SO not the same guy!)

And Patrick Stewart was wonderful in the feeling-all-Sarek's-emotions scene.  Yes, of course your human wives knew you loved them.  Silly Sarek!  But does that mean that Sarek never melded with his human wives, not once in many decades of marriage?  Or did Picard just assume that they'd never melded?  Because if *I* were married to a Vulcan, you can be damned sure I'd have asked for at least one meld!

There was a serving of Star Trek cheese in there somewhere, but it was still a very fine episode.

* (I'll remind those of you who don't remember me that I lived in a TV-free household for a couple of decades, so although I first saw TOS during its summer reruns in 1969 and have adored it since then, I'm just now working my way through other Star Treks.  I've seen the first 7 episodes of TNG, the first two seasons of VOY, the first season and a half of ENT, and I'm saving DS9 to watch with my husband, who claims he'll watch it with me but hasn't yet)

I really LOVE that episode; it’s as much tour de force for Patrick Stewart as it is for Mark Lenard.   Both are magnificent.

And yes, my theory makes a lot more sense now, doesn’t it?  Hehehe...:giggle:

On 12/13/2012 at 10:45 AM, Mr.Picard said:

Yeah I know, everyone's always in love with Spock. I sometimes get a few REALLY weird looks when I say "Spock's fine but his DAD is much sexier". I really find Sarek to be quite interesting in THAT way.

Well the more Sexy Sarek fans the better. :P

Actually, I've read that Mark Lenard got more fan mail than Leonard Nimoy, the week that "Journey to Babel" aired.  So you're clearly NOT alone. ;)

Personally, I've had a grudge against Sarek for decades because of the way he treated Spock in "Journey to Babel," so he isn't sexy to me, but yeah, more fan mail than Nimoy suggests that I'm in the minority on that one. :)

11 minutes ago, Corylea said:

Actually, I've read that Mark Lenard got more fan mail than Leonard Nimoy, the week that "Journey to Babel" aired.  So you're clearly NOT alone. ;)

Personally, I've had a grudge against Sarek for decades because of the way he treated Spock in "Journey to Babel," so he isn't sexy to me, but yeah, more fan mail than Nimoy suggests that I'm in the minority on that one. :)

Mark Lenard, like Leonard Nimoy, so perfectly embodied the character that it was difficult for me to accept other actors playing Sarek (there was also Ben Cross in the 2009 movie), but as with ‘all good things’ I’ve come to realize that the TOS cast has either passed on (sadly) or are too old to do these roles anymore (and have been for a while now), so I welcome fresh interpretations so long as they stick to the essentials of the character. 

Things like eye color, subtle differences in accent, or other minor differences are less important to me than if they are portraying the same essential character.  Frain seemed to be doing that, at first; but then they had him going on adventures, joining landing parties, doing forced mind-melds and other very non-Sarek things.   I’m comforted that, in the last episode, at least Sarek acknowledged that the way he acted in wartime was compromising to his core principles (the brief scene in Paris), so that extended Frain’s ‘credit line’ a bit for me. 

But yes, I agree; NO ONE has ever played the role of Sarek quite as perfectly as Mark Lenard.  Same with Nimoy’s Spock.  There’ve been other interesting interpretations, and I’m willing to see where they go, but the original actors are still the gold standard, IMHO. 

Sign in to follow this