Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Picard

Yesterday's Enterprise

Episode name: "Yesterday's Enterprise"

Season: 3

Director: David Carson

First of all: Rachel Garrett - :worthy: :worthy: !!!! What an awesome woman. Totally. And no, not just because she tells Crusher to STFU. ;)

I love this episode for so many reasons. The modified uniforms, for example.

And I REALLY want to know what happened between Jean-Luc and Riker. They're REALLY bitchy towards one another in this alternate reality.

And then there's Jean-Luc's awesome jump to the tactical station at the end. I love how he stands there alone, defending his ship, fighting a hopeless battle. Ooooh, my hero. :inlove::inlove: :inlove:

Yeah great episode, and probably the closest we got to a Mirror Universe episode of TNG really.

Yeah great episode, and probably the closest we got to a Mirror Universe episode of TNG really.

Yeah, that's another reason why I like it so much, it's almost like some sort of mirror universe episode. :biggrin: I also LOVE the scenes with Jean-Luc and Guinan.

"WHAT? Children on the Enterprise?! Guinan, WE'RE AT WAR!" @_@

MRS P!!!!!

I was wondering the same thing. I'm dying to find out what, if any conversation Frakes and Stewart had when they worked out their pacing on this...Sometimes actors give themselves histories to rely on and I'm dying to find out where that anymosity came from... :)

I simply adore this episode! One of the very best there is! Picard is willing to sacrifice everyone and everything if there's a shot at avoiding war...so freaking noble...

The war was not going well... they were marked as being one of the last, and evidently the EntC looked pretty darn good as a possible salvage operation... I want to say thats not just that it was an ambassador class...

So he took a pretty big gamble on this one, and evidently won, Picards good at this... Probably why he hints that he was quite the poker man in his youth in that other episode...

Plus... his trust for Guinan apparently stands pretty strong, we see that here, and in other episodes (Ensign Ro episode/rascals?/times arrow) and again in Generations. Apparently this one goes beyond one timeline... several points in that timeline, and transcends time itself(with the nexus)...

MRS P!!!!!

I was wondering the same thing. I'm dying to find out what, if any conversation Frakes and Stewart had when they worked out their pacing on this...Sometimes actors give themselves histories to rely on and I'm dying to find out where that anymosity came from... :)

I've never heard or read about Mr. Stewart mentioning anything about why Jean-Luc and Riker were so bitchy towards one another. It would be a great question for him at a convention. (Might take some time for him to even remember the episode, though. LOL.) I don't know if they actually worked something out... maybe they had the idea to make their relationship as screwed up as possible because they're 'getting along so well' (*cough cough* *lol*) in the 'real' time line, so that people would be like "uh-oh, now these two shouldn't even be aboard the same ship in this reality"? Hmm. I mean Riker DIES in the end and Jean-Luc barely looks at him (okay he's busy, but still, the 'real' Jean-Luc in the 'real' time line would be devastated!).

The fantastic thing about this episode is that unlike the Mirror Universe episodes which showed an evil Starfleet. This was Starfleet after a long war, and showed what they had abandoned and what war had forced them into. Despite still approaching things with a Starfleet tact (Shown by Stewart and his fantastic acting) this was a reality which could have easily been. A great parallel into how even the smallest choices made today affect the future. Bearing in mind, these choices are not by governments, but by the people on the field. (The crew of the C)

Wow... you've got some great comments here.

it tells me that maybe I've found a good place to hang around and learn a few things.

"The quest for knowledge is endless... the pursuit, at our own pace... put into it what you want, take from it what you desire... in time all things will come to pass." - I am beginning to see the relevance of this lesson.

A good episode and in my top 10. I liked seeing Tasha back, and it would have been interesting to see what happened to her in that other timeline. (read a couple fics once around it, and one was good, one was weird!)

^ Those would be an interesting read - I've often thought about what she went though on Romulus before she was killed. Really - such a sad life.

I think this episode is a "what if" episode,i really enjoyed it,it was great to see the Big E alongside it'' precessor, the Enterprise C.I would really enjoy having a series featuring teh ambassodor class USS enterprise.

I really like how they put consoles on the side of the bridge for once (they should have kept them) It seems they got ideas for the GENERATIONS bridge from this st. the step up platform for the Captains chair, the consoles on the side. I love the battle explosions on the bridge. One o rare times you see panels exploding in TNG.

ALSO, anyone know whats in that FUSE BOX that explodes behind Geordi when he says "Coolant Leak". I mean obviously if you have a explosion in that fuse box , the ship is DOOMED.

Yesteday's Enterprise : Fuse box explodes "COOLANT LEAK!!! BRIDGE WE HAVE A COOLANT LEAK, I CANT SHUT IT DOWN I ESTIMATE 5 MINUTES FOR A WARP CORE BREACH" ::heads back into the fog::

Generations: Fuse Box explodes "COOLANT LEAK!!!! OK PEOPLE WE HAVE A COOLANT LEAK LETS GO LETS GET OUT OF HERE!!! BRIDGE, WE HAVE A NEW PROBLEM, WE'RE 5 MINUTES FROMA WARP CORE BREACH THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO!!! ::Repeats his Best of Both Worlds roll under the blast dooors::

A phenomenal episode by any standard. I've long wanted to explore this alternate reality more, perhaps as part of a novel mini-series. It would be interesting to see how events unfolded throughout the Federation during the course of the war, leading to Starfleet's shift in philosophy from one of exploration to a more militaristic stance. Additionally, I would enjoy reading about other important characters in this timeline. Would Benjamin Sisko and Kathryn Janeway be the people that we remember? It seems unlikely that the Federation would have encountered the Borg in this reality. Perhaps Jennifer would still be alive beyond 2366, as the events of Wolf 359 would not have occurred. And as the Federation would be committed to winning the war against the Klingon Empire, the construction of a ship such as Voyager doesn't make sense, as there would not be sufficient time or resources to allow for space exploration. Intrepid-class vessels are better suited for deep space assignments than combat situations. The Defiant, on the other hand...

--Captain Sisko

A phenomenal episode by any standard. I've long wanted to explore this alternate reality more, perhaps as part of a novel mini-series. It would be interesting to see how events unfolded throughout the Federation during the course of the war, leading to Starfleet's shift in philosophy from one of exploration to a more militaristic stance. Additionally, I would enjoy reading about other important characters in this timeline. Would Benjamin Sisko and Kathryn Janeway be the people that we remember? It seems unlikely that the Federation would have encountered the Borg in this reality. Perhaps Jennifer would still be alive beyond 2366, as the events of Wolf 359 would not have occurred. And as the Federation would be committed to winning the war against the Klingon Empire, the construction of a ship such as Voyager doesn't make sense, as there would not be sufficient time or resources to allow for space exploration. Intrepid-class vessels are better suited for deep space assignments than combat situations. The Defiant, on the other hand...

--Captain Sisko

Hmm this actually sounds like an interesting fan fiction idea. *ponders* But you're right, it would also be a great novel series, one I would perhaps want to read as well, yeah. I love "what would have happened to this character if the universe in which he or she grew up in had been a different one..." questions.

:thumbsup2:

Hmm this actually sounds like an interesting fan fiction idea. *ponders* But you're right, it would also be a great novel series, one I would perhaps want to read as well, yeah. I love "what would have happened to this character if the universe in which he or she grew up in had been a different one..." questions.

:thumbsup2:

I actually re-watched the episode today, and I'm convinced that this idea warrants exploration. Just before the Enterprise-C enters the temporal rift, it's counterpart from the future is on the verge of destruction. Commander Riker is dead, his life ended prematurely by an exploding tactical station console, and LaForge works desperately to prevent a warp-core breach that will spell certain doom for the ship and it's crew. All of this is, of course, averted by the successful return of the Enterprise-C to its own time, and it's heroic defense of the Nerendra III outpost. However...

...it's conceivable that the timeline continued to exist, though it is never seen again. Would Picard, Data, and the remaining Enterprise crew have been able to reach an escape pod before the ship exploded? Would Picard have faced court-martial for the loss of his ship? And were he granted captaincy of a new vessel, who would replace Riker as his first officer?

--Captain Sisko

A fantastic episode. I think Tasha's character was developed here, more than it was in the entire first season.

I loved all the shifts in character; as has been said, it's like a mirror universe, but at the same time it's not. The characters just haven't become 'bad guys', they're exactly the same people, it's just that life has dealt them a less fortunate set of cards, meaning they have to be more militaristic.

Couple of nitpicks:

1. As it was a battleship without families it means Wesley should never have been on the Enterprise in the first place

2. Picard didn't tap his comm badge to talk to Guinan at the end

3. Guinan didn't even have a comm badge with which to contact Picard at the end.

I'm just being fussy though, it is a super episode and I really love Garrett.

Yay a totally fantastic episode and I can't believe there hasn't been more fanfic based off of this AU it certainly demands some sort of attention. A lot of great points made by people here in regards to that. Some chilling stuff when one considers just how much a protracted war altered the Federation and crew. It has to be said, that it could easily be the way things might have headed with the Dominion War and who's to say that certain things have been fundamentally changed in Starfleet's ethos as a result just as it was for this AU Starfleet - though not by the same degree.

Expanding upon my one-line above the episode smacks of excellence. Appreciation more-so this time round for the little things. The conference being held in Picard's room with all the officer's packed tightly in. The difference in atmosphere on the Enterprise-D compared to 'our timeline'. The shot of the Enterprise-C just after the opening titles from beam to beam. Even the old-navy style whistle before Picard's rally to his crew (right at the end).

Oh, and Worf's introduction to prune juice. I was thinking when Guinan said about possible companions on the Ent-D for Worf whether someone had, almost in Cheers style, come into Ten Forward and told her they had a thing for Worf. Just a thought.

And finally, Picard's "that'll be the day" at the death before that Enterprise made sure the name would live on.

1. As it was a battleship without families it means Wesley should never have been on the Enterprise in the first place

Unless he was a conscript. A "kid soldier" is always the assumption I made. He was in full uniform before that happened in the "Prime Timeline," plus the fact the Federation was losing the war led me to believe he actually was in Starfleet by that time.

:WarBird:

Sign in to follow this